U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:17 AM

147 posts, read 189,498 times

Advertisements

"Funny article. Of course no one really goes back to the root of the problem, if all the Californians are moving out of CA because it's overpopulated who is living in California? I worked at a company of 500 people in San Diego and people were shocked when I told them I was a native. It was like they had never met one before. No one was from there, no natives at my husband's company either. And how many articles have you read about native Californians complaining about all the other people moving in and changing things in California?"

You can go over to the California board right now and see the Native Californians complaining about the illegal aliens moving in and changing things in California. So, yes, Californians do complain about others moving in who are not Californians. They don't like their state being changed either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 11:30 AM

121 posts, read 400,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastDallasNative View Post
Native Californians complaining about the illegal aliens

Keyword: ILLEGAL ALIENS

Old 03-27-2007, 01:38 PM

545 posts, read 2,086,369 times
I wonder how the Native Americans feel about all of this

Old 03-27-2007, 05:30 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,643,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Honestly, it may well be because you aren't one of the the ones who has had to answer the question, "Are you from SA?" with "No, I've been here xxx years, but I transfered here from CA." Those of us who have - we've experienced it first hand.
That sounds like an innocent question.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,735,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
That sounds like an innocent question.
Oh, absolutely a fair question, but I don't know that I'd agree that it's always "innocent". Usually there is a reason behind the question. Doesn't mean that the questioning person is necessarily adversarial (my spelling skills are not working tonight!! ), but they do have a motive. As in anything else, ya can't make a blanket statement and say that everyone that asks the question is "predjudice" against transplants. Most aren't. Some (maybe few) are.

It hesitate to compare it to this, but it's the only thing I can think of as a comparison; a white person really cannot say, "oh, I don't see or feel any resentment towards (insert other ethniticy here)". If you're not that ethniticy (or transplant), you won't see it or feel it the way they do. (Everybody, please don't flame me, I'm *not* saying that transplants feel the same magnitude that certain ethniticities do, just using the comparison.)

Now, that said - I love living in SA!! Just tryin' to explain how transplants can feel.........uhhhhhhh.......unwelcome.

Old 03-27-2007, 06:52 PM

777 posts, read 3,395,370 times
It's not unwelcome so much as a little distant and different. San Antonians tend to put a tent over their area, which is fine, but it makes relative newcomers have to peer into the tent to ask for a form of admittance.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:00 PM

469 posts, read 2,167,330 times
The only real hostilty I've experienced is at the DMV. Those people behind the counter do not like Californians. I mean reeeaaly don't like them, told me straight up a long list of all the bad things Californians were doing to the city of San Antonio. They make up new regulations to try and make it so you can't get a drivers license. Really, I had to go back 3 times before I got some one who wasn't lying to me. Of course CA DMV treats everyone like that so we're pretty used to it.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:44 PM

546 posts, read 2,820,218 times
You know, I've really changed my tune on this whole California "invasion" topic in the last few months. I too was blaming our escalating real estate woes on the CA newbies, but after I got over that hub-bub, I started to concentrate on the positives that they can bring to SA, perhaps they will demand a world class symphany, perhaps they will demand better theatre, music, cutting edge residential architecture, etc., etc., etc. Look at what they did to Austin, yeah, they jacked up the real estate, for sure, BUT they also gave that formerly stagnating city (after the whole dot.com fiasco) a much needed shot in the arm, and look at that place now, I'm green with envy at all the great touring acts they get in Austin these days, the cool film festivals, the swank new restaurants, etc., etc., etc. Now if these CA's can help SA achieve just 10-15% of Cali's "cool factor," count me in. I just hope we get more of the younger crowd though like Austin, the vibrant artsy kind (which I kinda think we're not at this point, but that could change any second, as Austin's real estate problems are WAY worse than ours, this could promt a small exodus...like all the folks from Seattle that hightailed it to Portland as soon as that place priced a lot of folks out...same story everywhere)...but I'd MUCH rather have an influx of ANY Californians, than an influx of, say, dull-as-dirt country folks from Kentucky or Arkansas !

Old 03-28-2007, 08:25 AM

54 posts, read 231,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
SNIP-And remember, *most* transplants don't want to change the character of SA. We miss our In n' Out, Trader Joe's, Jamba Juice, the weather, etc. but we came to SA for what it is.-SNIP
Well said, Jules!
As a recent transplant from CA, I love SA!
Even my main criticisms (Tex-Mex & drivers) are somewhat tongue-in-cheek, given Tex-Mex has some very good things going for it, and CA drivers...well, let's just say they've got their own issues! :P

I do miss In&Out, Trader Joe's, Jamba Juice, Mexican food made with shredded beef, the San Diego Zoo, and our old wonderful neighborhood chock full of bistros, cafes, etc.

On the other hand, I don't miss the traffic, commutes, a sue-happy and overly PC-obsessed society, a corrupt city government, a bloated real estate market and a residing in a state that doesn't trust the serfs to own firearms, let alone carry them.

Compare my two lists and tell me honestly that you think I'd want to change SA into SD!

I've encountered a bit of anti-CA prejudice, but most of it has simply been people assuming I'm some tree-hugging, granola-eating, Leftist based solely upon my hailing from CA.

Cheers,
B.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:16 AM

944 posts, read 2,801,973 times
Nope, don't count on the young, vibrant, intelligent, professional Californians (or those from other states) transplanting to SA. In their 20-something invincibility, these people go, of course, to the more vibrant cities that have something to offer them. They will work their way to SA once they have Costco shopping cart-loads of kids they realize they can't afford, so they have to downgrade city-wise to SA to make ends meet. How many transplants, or those seeking information about SA on this forum, are single, vibrant, educated, early 20's, professional people considering SA as a place to start his/her career??? (Answer: hardly any, and for a good reason.) I'm sure that a couple of the SA-obsessed will vehemently retort, "Well, I know a lot of them," and "They're everywhere," but this is not true. The transplants are families or at the most couples looking to reproduce, and SA is good farmland for that (and only that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or