Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:30 PM

545 posts, read 2,276,997 times

Advertisements

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17791351/?=gohome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 PM

63 posts, read 238,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaleman View Post
LOL.

I read this article this morning. It's funny to say the least. Here we go again. As I've mentioned before it doesn't take long before "us" Californians become the topic of conversation.

How about we talk about ummm.... Lets say..... The fact the child molesters are preying on our children. Or.... The fact the housing sector is hanging on a thread.....

I can't wait for the day when this country is actually "United" as in United States????.....

Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,310,784 times
I'm happy to see new energy and interests brought to our city......just not at the expense of losing who we are. Every city needs to be more diverse. It's safe to say our newcomers add a lot of that. Embracing each other needs to work both ways. I think more people would have open arms if SOME of the newcomers weren't so critical of their new found homes.

The CD forum is a great place to see the grinches and the princes. We're getting them all. WFF you are one of the princes!!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:23 PM

63 posts, read 238,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I'm happy to see new energy and interests brought to our city......just not at the expense of losing who we are. Every city needs to be more diverse. It's safe to say our newcomers add a lot of that. Embracing each other needs to work both ways. I think more people would have open arms if SOME of the newcomers weren't so critical of their new found homes.

The CD forum is a great place to see the grinches and the princes. We're getting them all. WFF you are one of the princes!!
wCat,

You are too kind. Thank you!

I have to admit I was critical in the beginning but San Antonio has grown on me alot and its people like you and others in this forum who make my morning coffee that much sweeter. Cheers!!

Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 PM

469 posts, read 2,336,749 times
Funny article. Of course no one really goes back to the root of the problem, if all the Californians are moving out of CA because it's overpopulated who is living in California? I worked at a company of 500 people in San Diego and people were shocked when I told them I was a native. It was like they had never met one before. No one was from there, no natives at my husband's company either. And how many articles have you read about native Californians complaining about all the other people moving in and changing things in California?

Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 PM

121 posts, read 436,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleSG View Post
And how many articles have you read about native Californians complaining about all the other people moving in and changing things in California?
My point exactly! You never see Californians complaining about other people moving in. We welcome them with open arms. It's a shame too, because California receives the most out of state transplants.

IMO, the influx of transplants has helped rid SA of it's stagnation period (1990-2000) and has brought jobs and stimulated the economy over here.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:40 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,222,389 times
I may be ignorant or just play naive but I don't see or feel any resentment towards any out of state transplants in San Antonio. The only time I encounter anything of that nature is on these boards and its only you guys discussing it.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:48 AM

283 posts, read 1,832,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
I may be ignorant or just play naive but I don't see or feel any resentment towards any out of state transplants in San Antonio. The only time I encounter anything of that nature is on these boards and its only you guys discussing it.
I concur with the quoted message.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:51 AM

545 posts, read 2,276,997 times
Here are my thoughts on it, since I posted the link:

I have no ill will toward anyone moving here or anywhere else from out of state. I'm originally from out of state myself, so if there is a problem, I'm part of it.

That being said, I question people from other places (not just Cali) who moan and groan about the things we have/don't have here in San Antonio. If you chose to live here, stop griping about it and learn to love this city for what it is. I miss certain things from the time I spent living in Illinois, but I chose to move to San Antonio. I chose to move back to San Antonio after moving back north for a while too.

If you didn't choose to live here, I'm terribly sorry, and I hope that you can get out of San Antonio and into a city you love quickly. It's painfully obvious who those people are here on this board. But the people who do choose to live in San Antonio do so for a reason...because it's NOT like anywhere else. We don't WANT to be Houston, or Dallas, or Chicago or LA.

We want to be San Antonio.

Old 03-27-2007, 09:09 AM

3,468 posts, read 8,525,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210 View Post
Honestly, it may well be because you aren't one of the the ones who has had to answer the question, "Are you from SA?" with "No, I've been here xxx years, but I transfered here from CA." Those of us who have - we've experienced it first hand. (And we get asked that question *alot*. 'Cept when we lived near Poteet it was, "ya ain't frum around hear, air ya?" LOL!!)

That said, I do have to say that the majority of members on here who are natives or long time residents of SA have been quite gracious to transplants. It's more what we experience in our daily lives that bums us out and makes us feel unwelcome. m95roadster is quite correct about CA welcoming transplants with open arms! We didn't experience quite the same thing when we moved here. But..... transplants from CA had been getting a bad rap in the press for quite awhile before that.

And remember, *most* transplants don't want to change the character of SA. We miss our In n' Out, Trader Joe's, Jamba Juice, the weather, etc. but we came to SA for what it is. (Or is that just because I've been here long enough now to appreciate SA? <shrugs>)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio