Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:09 AM

2 posts, read 7,537 times

Advertisements

I sent Mr. Rowe an EMail yesterday Thanking him extensively for taking care of the residents of Churchill Forest. I was overwhelmed that the City Council and the Parks & Recreation acted so quickly. There's hope for the political landscape in San Antonio after all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2008, 08:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,674 times
Default RE ROARING 20's

Is the building still intact would like to see pics both inside and out, A lot of memories in there when my mom and dad had the bar in the early 80's. Also would pOSSIBLY entertain leasing or purchasing it if that is an option. That building meeds to be remodled to the shape it was in back then, it has alot of history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therman View Post
It was 2006, my mistake. The property is subdivided into two parts and was purchased by my grandfather in 1963. The home (which my dad built in 1984) at 1726 Longfield is one and the roaring 20's is another. The Roaring 20's was purchased by Honigblum in 2006. I believe that Steve then combined the two properties. My Uncle lived on premises until then at which time he moved to CO. I personally lived at the home at 1726 Longfield from 1984 until 1997 when my dad passed away and the family sold the home to Honigblum in 1998. I am also on the news footage of when the property was burned being interviewed. The building was basically original and untouched with only minor improvements and repairs made along the way. My grandfather was a bit eccentric and even though my dad prodded him to replace and rebuild things over the years, my grandfather ultimately decided against it every time. It was officially closed around 1997 when my uncle unknowingly made an error in the licensing for their renewal of the liquor license. TABC came in and closed it down on a friday night. After which a torrent of bad things came pouring in. Everything my grandfather hadn't replaced through the years started snowballing. My uncle actually spent over $150,000 to Davila Electric trying to bring the building's electrical up to code. After which, a building inspector came out to inspect the building to approve it for operation and condemned it stating that the structure was unsafe. Basically everything needed to be remodeled from the ground up. My uncle received several bids that were well over $1,000,000. Around 2002, the city re-zoned the roaring 20's and took 35% of the property into a flood plain. The flood plain now went right through the dancefloor in the dining room which is absurd. The water had never come even up to the barracks before (even the 2000 flood). Trying to get a loan on a building that resides in a flood plain is impossible. The family decided at that time to sell the property the Hunter's Inn was located on in order to drum up enough to rebuild the 20's. It was around this time my grandfather suffered a stroke. He subsequently died and the family was hit with an enormous tax hit as the taxes had fallen way behind. At this time, the decision was made to sell the property. They were in talks for awhile with the city to extend the reach of the park to the property but they always fell through as they only were offering pennies on the dollar for the property. Which street do you live on Banker?

Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 AM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJP732 View Post
Is the building still intact would like to see pics both inside and out, A lot of memories in there when my mom and dad had the bar in the early 80's. Also would pOSSIBLY entertain leasing or purchasing it if that is an option. That building meeds to be remodled to the shape it was in back then, it has alot of history.
Are you kidding?! Go read back through this thread. The building burned to the ground. There is nothing left.

Old 12-26-2008, 09:50 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Are you kidding?! Go read back through this thread. The building burned to the ground. There is nothing left.
Yep, about the only way to tell the place ever existed is the sign at the entrance to the property...otherwise, there is nothing...

Cheers! M2

Old 12-26-2008, 04:15 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
*facepalm*

Yep, the place burned down. If you want a pic of the sign it's still there though.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:12 AM

2 posts, read 5,071 times
I am not sure if my message got posted

Old 01-30-2009, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 5,071 times
I would rather know that that wonderful old building was burned than sitting in the disaray and hopeless disrespect. In the 1980's there was a dance on the first Sunday night of every month. The evening was called "A Touch of Class". For five dollars a person we danced to the music of Al Sergio (sp) orchastra under a large rotateing mirror ball that gave a magic touch. This evening was for the over 40 crowd. Coat, tie, was required and the ladies dressed in semiformal. Feb. 12, 1989 I met my sweetheart there. We were married a year later and have had 20 years of adventure and family. I would love to see photos of the heyday of this piece of history.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM

23 posts, read 52,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by googie2525 View Post
I had a good friend who managed the place around '99, right before it closed down for good. He told me that it was a gangster-ish speakeasy back in the day, that it dated back to the 30's or so, etc. That's all I can recall. It became a hipster hangout of sorts for a short time (98-99) during that whole lounge/swing revival (remember "swingers?"), then was abruptly shut down by city inspectors, apparently for electrical issues. A real shame, it was a cool joint.
i went there many times during 98/99. they had some great rockabilly shows there. good bands and good crowds. it was a really interesting place with a lot of character and had a totally different feel to it than your typical club that put on shows.

fun times!

Old 06-02-2009, 12:29 AM

1 posts, read 2,345 times
Default roaring 20's

The roaring twenties was off of Blanco Road outside of West Ave. The road that turns left after the creek was how you got there. I went to senior prom therefrom Churchill Highschool a fire was the final demise. Opened and closed a few times before that and yes it was a club during the prohibition period. There was also a speakeasy at the corner of Fresno and Fredrickburg Road in the Basement of what was a coffe house / cafe. I believe the last names was Al cafe I ate there in the 70's. A freind who grew up in the area told me that story. Also some speakeasies on Guadalupe street past the theater in and old hous on the north side of the street. The current owner told me that the basement was used for that purpose.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,281 times
Default You know nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
No asbestos to my knowledge. But it wouldn't surprise me...nice to know that was torched right behind my house. Makes me feel really good.

Anyway - Steve Honigblum is not hispanic. He is a white man (in his late 50's) who drives a 2007 White Mercedes GL class SUV. His wife (number two or three) has a black Mercedes S-class sedan. They are not friendly and tend to be very exclusive. They have several hispanic men working on their property all the time.

Yes - the restaurant is closed. It went out of business a couple months ago.
Banker you can't be more wrong, late 50's-wrong, 2 or 3 wife-wrong. Maybe you haven't been looking through the fence long enough to see what's really going on!!!!
Your the kind of neighbor most people don't like
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio