Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:03 AM

847 posts, read 2,218,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by melting headaches View Post

Wish I knew more about this incredible place. It's a shame it burned down. I'd love to keep this thread going with more stories about the Roaring 20s if anyone has any to share? I was hoping if somebody knows anyone who maybe worked there back in the day. I read about an old trumpet player named Otto Glaeser who passed in '68 or so, but that was all I could dig up.

Wow, I might come off as awfully creepy, but I've really just gotten so interested in this specific time period and it'd be cool to hear more about the place's history.
......... from August 1927...................

mud
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 06:27 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
I'd be interested to read more of the "Reeling Dangers" article in the lower-right of the third image, if you have it.

Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM

847 posts, read 2,218,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post

I'd be interested to read more of the "Reeling Dangers" article in the lower-right of the third image, if you have it.
hey Bo, actually it says "Reeling DanCers"

down in the story they become "staggering couples", and *couldn't control themselves*.

here ya go...................

mud

Old 07-20-2012, 10:43 AM

2 posts, read 7,369 times
Default More Information

Quote:
Originally Posted by melting headaches View Post
Wish I knew more about this incredible place. It's a shame it burned down. I'd love to keep this thread going with more stories about the Roaring 20s if anyone has any to share? I was hoping if somebody knows anyone who maybe worked there back in the day. I read about an old trumpet player named Otto Glaeser who passed in '68 or so, but that was all I could dig up.

Wow, I might come off as awfully creepy, but I've really just gotten so interested in this specific time period and it'd be cool to hear more about the place's history.

I have some information on the place and I beleive some old photos taken back in the early 50's. I would be glad to share the information. I will attempt to upload the material later in the day today.

Debbie

Old 07-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,952,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudpuddle View Post
hey Bo, actually it says "Reeling DanCers"

down in the story they become "staggering couples", and *couldn't control themselves*.

here ya go...................
Thanks for posting that. Pretty funny IMO that the guests were demanding to be served by the agents who were confiscating the booze. Wild times at the old place! I was also amused by the agent's assertion on the witness stand that he knew very well what drunk people looked like because he'd been drunk himself before. Hard to imagine that happening today.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,912 times
Default The Roaring 20's Dance Hall in San Antonio

This place on old Blanco Road was called "Shadowland" during the 40's and 50's. I passed it many times going north on Blanco Road in 1950.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:34 PM

239 posts, read 440,280 times
I took this picture several years ago....I think it was 2006/7 ish. I know it only shows the front but since we are talking about the place it pertains to this. I was bumming around in my old sports car and stumbled on this place (before this I never heard of it) so I took a pic of the entrance

Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM

500 posts, read 770,251 times
This is a great thread to read begining to end! My initial memory is just like in the photo above, probably while dining at Matisse or the restaurant (Argentine steakhouse?) that occupied the space before. Hadn't realized that the original building burned in 2007. Many thanks to all who posted photos on this thread!!!

Old 06-09-2013, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 4,704 times
Default Former Roaring 20's employee

I worked at the Roaring 20's on and off in the 80's and early 90's, was a magical place, Larry Herman's Big Band. They were open weekends and Tues night served Wonderful meals and the Ballroom had red draperies wood dance floor and the walls had small cemented mirrors, and Larger ones. The Men had to wear coat and tie and Ladies wore long Gillters gowns, Every night there was New Years eve if Anyone wishes to contact me, email..Laurieb42@gmail.com

Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 4,672 times
OK so I have read ALL the messages. And I am super late in responding but I'm gonna respond anyway. I don't know much about the new owner or the banker. Definitely would have loved to got a hold of MUD to purchase some of that old stuff from Roaring 20's. So now I will give ya'll my story from roaring 20's. I am a local DJ. I used to do a Sunday Night Singles Dance EVERY sunday night. I played in the late 80's into the 90's. Then came back again when they had the Swing/SKA dances. I loved the Roaring 20's. I spent many days there all by myself setting up my gear, Having fun run of the place. Craig Herman (Larry Herman's son) was running it. I remember seeing Larry Herman running around the Dance Hall when he was still alive. I remember my first gigs in the late 80's early 90's. We would do the Singles dances. Big band ballroom music. Older crowd would come in dressed to the nines. Back then I believe the Larry's Herman Orchestra was still playing 1 night a week. I believe Saturdays. Craig was the Drummer of his fathers band (I too am a Drummer/DJ). Craig wouls take me thru the trap door behind the bar down to the basement. At that time there were a bunch of AWESOME old Cadillacs down there. This was the old prohibition gambling room. Mr. Herman's collection. So I DJ 'ed for 6-8 years. Then stopped for a awhile. Then I got a call a call from Craig he was re opening Roaring 20's and gonna rent it out, but still wanted me on Sundays. We were getting 200-250 singles on Sundays. Making Money. That's When the Swing bands, SKA, Rockbilly, Surf punk music was going on Fridays & Saturdays. They added pool tables and dart boards in the back. Now I don't want anyone getting made at my facts. Some were told to me by Craig Herman some I saw myself, so if my facts are not right SORRY. Alot of people don't know the main building had 3-4 more military buildings added on. There was a BIG building behind the bar side and it actually had a BIGGER wooden dance floor than the main ballroom, but that room was exposed to the elements. So I believe Craig had a younger brother that was sick or died, but before he dies he built a kick ass skateboard park in this old building. It was SICK. So after he passed. The Churchill kids would sneak in and skate it. I remember one Sunday around 4pm I am the only one in the ballroom and this kid comes in with a compound fracture to his arm he hurt himself on the skateboard park in back. After that we all spent alot of time running kids out of there. We finally went in there and destroyed the rails and ramps so they could not skate anymore. I am a skater and it hurt to destroy this. I remember when Criag messed up and forgot to renew his liqueur license and it would have been grandfathered in but since he did not renew it. They sent out inspectors. When I DJ'ed the last string of gigs we had to have a Fire Marshall on premise during the entire business hours. And the BEST news I WAS THE LAST PERSON TO PLAY AT ROARING 20'S. Not the guitar guy. I remember it well SAD night. Some other notes. I remember behind the main building were 2 little brick houses. Looked like 70's houses. I looked in the windows all were full of junk. Looked like a Hoarders house. There was a half fence right behind the fence was an old tour bus. I think Larry Herman's Orchestra used it. It was all wasted and rusty. I vaguely remember and empty pool and or an old tennis court (not the tennis court there now). I had GREAT adventures there. I remember one sunday I showed up to set up. Could not find Craig on property so I went inside but no lights on. I searched for an hour with flashlight I found at least 6-8 breaker boxes with all kinds of wires exposed till I finally found the right one. so I can definatley understand the fire hazard. Also alot of people did not know it was a full restaurant also. I remember eating steak in the 80's there. They had a full kitchen in back. the kitchen was not being used in the later days. Small appetizers but thats it. I'm sure I could go on and on about this AWESOME landmark that is gone. I hope the new owner keeps the sign up forever. Or sell it to me. Anyone wanna take to me about my history with the Roaring 20's. Holla at ya boy.

Moderator cut: It is a bad idea to post your email address or to make it public without scrambling it somehow - there are web crawlers gathering email address for spammers.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 07-28-2013 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: New user e-mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio