Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 10:18 PM
lcw lcw started this thread

118 posts, read 668,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFWife1029 View Post
all i have to say having seen it and taken pictures of how it is now, does anyone have/know where to get pictures of what it looked like originally? I have tried the san antonio news archive with no luck, maybe im searching using the wrong words?
Have you posted your pics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2007, 10:26 PM

546 posts, read 3,099,962 times
Maybe, just maybe, but...a great place to look for old SA pics is the research library at the Institute of Texan Cultures, I found some great obscure stuff there years ago. Also you might wanna try the SA Conservation Society HQ over in King William, they have a tiny, tiny little research room, but those ol' gals there have a ton of info.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:52 AM

486 posts, read 1,112,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw View Post
Have you posted your pics?
Working on it.

Old 04-03-2007, 01:39 PM

159 posts, read 783,061 times
Quote:
Maybe, just maybe, but...a great place to look for old SA pics is the research library at the Institute of Texan Cultures, I found some great obscure stuff there years ago.
I went there this past weekend for the first time. The reason I went was to see some artifacts and to visit the library for old pics of SA. I wasnt too impressed with the artifacts on display, and the library is closed on the weekends. I plan to go back to their library...I hear they have great old photos of SA.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:25 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,734,136 times
Default Roaring 20's recently purchased by neighbor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw View Post
I am a lifelong resident of SA and grew up on the northside. Just last week I saw the "Roaring 20's", now an old, run down place that looks like it used to be some type of party hall. It is located just North of Wurzbach Parkway on Blanco Road behind a brightly colored mexican restaurant.

Anybody know the history of this place?
As others have said - it used to be a speak easy joint located way out in the country many decades ago. I now live in the neighborhood behind it - Churchill Forest - and a lot has been happening on the property that used to be the "Roaring 20's". Last year (I believe) the property was purchased by Honigblum Corporation - which is owned by Steve Honigblub that has a small estate directly behind the old "Roaring 20's" property. If you drive into the neighborhood the entrance to his propery is gated - large stone house with pond, pool, tennis courts and other luxuries overlooking the Salado Creek.

Anyhow - as to the work that has been going on back on the property. Contractors have been working on the property steadily over the past year. A lot of clearing of brush and small trees along the creekbed really opened things up. In addition, crews have been slowly tearing down the old speak easy while at the same time building what looks like a very large "villa" type structure back near Steve Honigblum's estate. The structure has slowly been rising (appears to be two story) and has a red clay tile roof and what appears to be the prep work for a stucco exterior. The home looks to be very large. Those in the neighborhood are very curious as to what this might be. Steve Honigblum's house is white rock with a standing metal seam roof - so this doesn't match the structures or achitecture of his existing estate. So what is going on?

The Roaring 20's is history - it looks like a very expensive home is being built on the property for future sale? Who knows. Per BCAD the total property is just under 10 acres - so there is room for several homes of the scale that this "Villa" appears to be. With the new Volker Ranch Park going in next door and frontage on Salado Creek it could have some development potential. But who wants a $300K or $400K house behind that Mexican restaurant backing up to just a middle class neighborhood. Then again Steve Honigblum has invested tons of money in his estate over the years - putting in the pond was a huge ordeal - went on for months several years ago. If anyone has any information I would appreciate it.

Old 04-13-2007, 02:28 PM

283 posts, read 1,833,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnag View Post
Hawk, people on this board keep teasing us about these "swinger" clubs, but no one ever reveals or even hints at a location. What is this? The info on these clubs is tighter than the Masons. Do you have join before you are allowed in on the secret? Is there like initiations? Deviant rituals?
Right on.

Stop the teasing, folks. Let's get down and dirty and reveal where these oh so coveted swingers joints are.

Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 AM

Default Roaring 20's being torn down

Walked back behind the property yesterday evening and a good portion of the old building has been torn down. The house being built back behind the old Roaring 20's is huge and overlooks Salado Creek.

I would appreciate any information...

Old 04-17-2007, 09:43 AM

The old Roaring 20's location sits at the entrance of the new Voelcker Ranch Park currently under development between Salado Creek and Wurzbach Parkway. The "Villa" under construction could be marketed as a high end home overlooking the creek with direct access to the new park.

Who knows.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:23 PM

69 posts, read 301,102 times
LMAO.. all this time I thought you guys were talking about the Roaring 20's on Culebra & Hamilton... LOL

Old 04-18-2007, 07:14 PM

486 posts, read 1,112,040 times
theres one on culebra and hamilton? is it still open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio