U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 06:03 PM

1,423 posts, read 2,987,059 times

Advertisements

Soon we will all be running over to Steve's house with our binoculars to get a peak ... maybe I'll just knock on the door and ask for a tour. Sounds like a beautiful place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 AM

8 posts, read 20,259 times
Default Roaring 20s

Just ran across this and got all nostalgic. Thinking of dancing when it was a romantic thing to do . . . "Pretty bubbles . . . " swinging, flowing music, quiet talks at a table for two, . . . those were the days. What was the band leader's name . . . Woody Herman's brother . . . ? The pictures -- what pathetic remainders, and reminders of the good times. . .

Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
Default get a life

Steve is an honorable person and has built a beautiful home in your run-of-the-mill neighborhood. His grounds are expertly manicured. His new villa has style and architecture; something you evidently know so little about. He maybe a little quirky with the llamas; but he is definitely an asset to the mediocre tract-home quality vintage 1980's homes in your neighborhood.

Moderator cut: personal attack

Last edited by Bo; 10-24-2008 at 10:38 AM.. Reason: personal attacks not allowed

Old 05-01-2008, 09:11 AM

35 posts, read 93,036 times
Default Dan G

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcw View Post
I am a lifelong resident of SA and grew up on the northside. Just last week I saw the "Roaring 20's", now an old, run down place that looks like it used to be some type of party hall. It is located just North of Wurzbach Parkway on Blanco Road behind a brightly colored mexican restaurant.

Anybody know the history of this place?
I really don't know anything about the history of this place but my mom, step-dad and my wife went dancing there about 20 years ago. In the past it was a real nice dance club located pretty far out Blanco Rd. Wish I could tell you more. Of course I was there as well.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 2,285 times
Default Roaring 20's

I hope that someday someone will re-open that place, San Antonio really needs something like that again. I hope someone comes forward with some pictures of the interior of it when it was in business. Thanks laters everyone.

Old 10-18-2008, 09:03 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,186,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muertodia View Post
I hope that someday someone will re-open that place, San Antonio really needs something like that again. I hope someone comes forward with some pictures of the interior of it when it was in business. Thanks laters everyone.
You need to read the thread...the place burned to the ground and the owner has turned the entire property into a mini estate. It (the roaring 20's) doesn't exist any more.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:43 PM

10 posts, read 13,613 times
Default Roaring 20's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiemeister View Post
Soon we will all be running over to Steve's house with our binoculars to get a peak ... maybe I'll just knock on the door and ask for a tour. Sounds like a beautiful place.
I have never post here before but I "lurk" daily. I thought since this thread was well received ,I would keep you posted on the happenings. Banker did such a good job but he doesn't live here anymore. It looks like Steve is at it again. Now he has petitioned the city to purchase Old Blanco Road. This is a city-owned road that was just repaved by the way. There is quite a bit of uproar in the neighborhood about this. If he gets his way (developers usually do) he will put a private gate at the intersection of Longfield and Old Blanco so he can keep his little piece of heaven to himself. He complained about the traffic going to the new Voelker park. People are urged to call district 9 councilman Louis Rowe to express their concerns. His executive secretary said an official email will be mailed in the coming days to anyone interested.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,816 posts, read 33,140,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxQuickdraw View Post
Now he has petitioned the city to purchase Old Blanco Road. This is a city-owned road that was just repaved by the way. There is quite a bit of uproar in the neighborhood about this. If he gets his way (developers usually do) he will put a private gate at the intersection of Longfield and Old Blanco so he can keep his little piece of heaven to himself. He complained about the traffic going to the new Voelker park. People are urged to call district 9 councilman Louis Rowe to express their concerns. His executive secretary said an official email will be mailed in the coming days to anyone interested.
At all of the Voelcker Park meetings I've been to, the city seems determined not to let traffic and parking disrupt the surrounding neighborhoods in the southern half of the park. It would not be surprising to see them accommodate this wish for the same reason in the northern half. I'm sure the city folks are also keenly aware that granting that request could affect access to the new Salado Creek Greenway.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:39 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,737,255 times
I'm sorry, but I just gotta say something about this thread. Part of the TOS on this forum prohibits "consumer complaints", and my understanding is that it is partly because of liability issues. Correct?

Nearly this entire thread has been slanderous to Mr. Honingblum. Could this not also open up CD to liability issues? As I am closely associated with one of his immediate relatives, it also offends me to hear these types of rumors being spread.

Not that I have any right to, but I would humbly ask posters to refrain from "remarks" about Mr.Honingblum. The Roaring 20's was a beautiful building and there are many memories for a lot of folks in SA. Seems to me that the thread would be just as interesting if kept at that, instead of the frequent "Steve-Bashings".

IMHO.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:26 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,186,587 times
The public information about Steve Honigblum's ownership of the property in question was found legally through both bcad.org and the Bexar County Clerk's website. This information is available to all with a computer and internet connection - if you know where to look.

As to Mr. Honigblum...I do know that I lived near the man for many years and he did nothing to put himself in a good light with the good folks of Churchill Forest. Many folks tried to be friendly to him - and it was if the many normal folks houses around his estate were just a bother. He wouldn't give us the time of day. This site isn't about Steve bashing - but about talking through the issues associated with this once great building. As as the public records indicate - he is the owner. His activity to buy the public road just brings him back in the news. As to his request that old Blanco in front of his house be closed - I too would object. He would in effect block access to the 200 home owners that pay taxes to use a linear park that was paid for with tax dollars.

Last edited by banker; 10-23-2008 at 07:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or