Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 06:44 PM

161 posts, read 572,688 times

Advertisements

I have been living in San Diego for five years now (my job in the Navy brought me out here), and I' am ready for a change. I separate from the Navy early next year, and I don't plan on staying out here in SD. I like the weather, scenery, and the variety of things to do out here, but I don't care too much for some of the people (the stuck-up snobbs), the high cost of living, and the dating scene (it's hard to find any lady out here under the age of 30 that would be willing to settle down and not act like a total Paris Hilton) isn't that great. You would think that San Diego would be a great place for singles, but for a 24 year-old guy like myself who is mature for his age, and doesn't care too much for the club/bar scene and is looking for a lady who has good head on her shoulders, it's not so great. I have been strongly looking at moving to Texas recently because not only the cheaper cost of living, but overall, friendlier atmosphere. People in Texas are probably the most friendly, down to earth people in the country (definitely the friendliest that I have encountered). Anyway, I also would be much closer to my immediate family in SW Missouri. I have pick San Antonio above all of the other major cities in Texas to move to, since it is fairly close to the Texas Coast, and Mexico. I heard that there is a lot to do in SA. Also, I heard that there are some great schools there and auesome Tex-Mex food. I didn't hear anything about the dating scene though. Before making the final decision to move to SA, I would like to know if there are any good junior college's that I could attend (I have obtain 30 more units of coursework to complete before I earn my associates and can transfer). Also how is the ecomony doing in SA? After earning my bachelor's, would it be a good place to find a decent paying Accounting job (or other business-related job)? Any help and info. on the San Antonio area would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 06:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,786,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungSanDiegoDude View Post
I have been living in San Diego for five years now (my job in the Navy brought me out here), and I' am ready for a change. I separate from the Navy early next year, and I don't plan on staying out here in SD. I like the weather, scenery, and the variety of things to do out here, but I don't care too much for some of the people (the stuck-up snobbs), the high cost of living, and the dating scene (it's hard to find any lady out here under the age of 30 that would be willing to settle down and not act like a total Paris Hilton) isn't that great. You would think that San Diego would be a great place for singles, but for a 24 year-old guy like myself who is mature for his age, and doesn't care too much for the club/bar scene and is looking for a lady who has good head on her shoulders, it's not so great. I have been strongly looking at moving to Texas recently because not only the cheaper cost of living, but overall, friendlier atmosphere. People in Texas are probably the most friendly, down to earth people in the country (definitely the friendliest that I have encountered). Anyway, I also would be much closer to my immediate family in SW Missouri. I have pick San Antonio above all of the other major cities in Texas to move to, since it is fairly close to the Texas Coast, and Mexico. I heard that there is a lot to do in SA. Also, I heard that there are some great schools there and auesome Tex-Mex food. I didn't hear anything about the dating scene though. Before making the final decision to move to SA, I would like to know if there are any good junior college's that I could attend (I have obtain 30 more units of coursework to complete before I earn my associates and can transfer). Also how is the ecomony doing in SA? After earning my bachelor's, would it be a good place to find a decent paying Accounting job (or other business-related job)? Any help and info. on the San Antonio area would be greatly appreciated!
Hablo espanol? Why do you need/want to be close to Mexico? I thought that was a deterrent these days. Most salaries here would be lower than San Diego. Yes,I have lived in San Diego.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 03-28-2009 at 06:58 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 07:13 PM

161 posts, read 572,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
Hablo espanol? Why do you need/want to be close to Mexico? I thought that was a deterrent these days. Most salaries here would be lower than San Diego. Yes,I have lived in San Diego.

I would like to be close to Mexico so that I someday go for a drive through the country and see more than just the border and popular coastal areas. Also, there is a lot of history in Mexico. Besides, I have no interest in the border areas where all of the actual drug violence is taking place (which is further west I might add), such as Tijuana, Nogales, and Cuidad Juarez. Also, salaries may be a little lower in SA, but if I' am not mistaken, the cost of living is not even HALF of what it is out here.

Old 03-28-2009, 07:26 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,786,653 times
Quote:
I would like to be close to Mexico so that I someday go for a drive through the country and see more than just the border and popular coastal areas. Also, there is a lot of history in Mexico. Besides, I have no interest in the border areas where all of the actual drug violence is taking place (which is further west I might add), such as Tijuana, Nogales, and Cuidad Juarez. Also, salaries may be a little lower in SA, but if I' am not mistaken, the cost of living is not even HALF of what it is out here.
The salaries are a lot lower in most cases. Some have said that it's tough to find a good job here although there are lots of call center jobs which don't pay very well.
Nuevo Laredo is just as dangerous as most of those cities you listed. I do a lot of work in Mexico and my wife is Mexican. SA is a very family oriented city with a lot of military folks (I think there are 5 bases here?). I grew up in NY/NJ and then spent a few years in North County (La Costa) before coming here. My wife has family in Monterrey,MX. That's pretty much the only reason that we came here. I wouldn't have moved from San Diego (no money issues). I can work from anywhere (work at home and travel)
Some folks come here and love it....some hate it. You should really make a trip or two out here....check it out. Then, if you decide you still want to do it, rent a place for 6 months to 1 year before buying. That's the best advice that I can give you.
I can't give you advice on the younger women here...happily married with a 2 year old son.

Last edited by firstclassflyer; 03-28-2009 at 07:34 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 07:48 PM

199 posts, read 660,999 times
I sent you a PM Sandiegodude

Old 03-29-2009, 02:13 PM

385 posts, read 624,362 times
Quote:
The Alamo Community Colleges District (ACCD for short) is a collective of junior colleges that will offer you many choices/campuses spread out across town. San Antonio College is near downtown. Palo Alto College is on the south side. St. Phillips College has campuses on the East and Southwest sides. Northeast Lakeview College and Northwest Vista College are in the sides of town they are named after (i'm assuming...i've never been to either of the last two.)
Here's the link to the ACC website:
http://www.accd.edu/ (http://www.accd.edu/sac/sacmain/sac.htm - broken link)

As far as the dating scene goes, I'll just say that when I went to San Antonio College (the most populated of all the ACCD schools) and the University of Texas at San Antonio (or UTSA for short) I was surrounded by some very beautiful people (I'm partial to men but the women are beautiful as well). Whether they were intelligent or not, well who knows.
As far as not wanting a Paris Hilton type, I haven't really encountered many girls like that here in San Antonio. I would think that it's a lot less than you would find in California. A lot of people here are very humble and modest.
As far as the food goes, you've heard right, you'll find some amazing tex-mex food here.

As far as being close the coast, it's about a 3 hour drive to Port Aransas (there's a free car ferry that leaves Aransas Pass and transports you & your vehicle to Port Aransas). It's really nice there.

Seeing as you're part of the NAVY, you may have heard of or be a member of USAA? They're the largest private employer in San Antonio. I work there and they're looking to expand the percentage of employees that are military (current or former) so that may work in your favor. The campus is beautiful and there's 3 gyms on campus along with a bunch of other amenities. PM me if you're interested in more info.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:45 PM

Oh and I'm not sure what the California coast line is like...but our water is definitely not clear or very blue at all...it's more of a very dark green. To be honest, it's not very pretty. I wish we had some of those clear / blue water beaches that I've seen in commercials / movies.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:58 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,770,591 times
BWS, there are some nice beaches on the Texas coast. Some very nice ones.

As for Cali, their beaches aren't clear or the blue you're imagining. Those beaches you've seen in movies are beaches that belong to islands, either Hawaii in the pacific or the Virgin Islands/Caribbean area in the Atlantic ocean. Or even further away, Fiji which is in the Pacific as well.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
BWS, there are some nice beaches on the Texas coast. Some very nice ones.

As for Cali, their beaches aren't clear or the blue you're imagining. Those beaches you've seen in movies are beaches that belong to islands, either Hawaii in the pacific or the Virgin Islands/Caribbean area in the Atlantic ocean. Or even further away, Fiji which is in the Pacific as well.
So which beaches in TX are nice?
I liked Port Aransas a lot. It's just not the most ideal looking water IMHO.

Old 03-29-2009, 03:30 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,086,277 times
hey sandiegodude,

I'm 23, and going to the University of Texas-San Antonio. While there are girls here, some do tend to act standoffish. I think it's because the schools here tend to be more commuter, so you won't get the vibe of other standard universities. The ones that aren't standoffish either: 1. have a kid 2. don't carry much with them (intelligence/have been sheltered)

Now, there are definitely people you'll meet and date, but I wouldn't suggest this place for it. I'd go to Austin which is an hour north where there are more down to earth girls, and also more of them than guys. There are junior colleges there such as Austin Community College. As for the accounting degree, there are companies always looking for accountants, and you'll have no problem finding a job in Houston. So I would also recommend living there too, because the people there are terrific also. The downside to Houston is the horrible summers (humidity).

If I were you, I'd choose Austin, then to Houston for an accounting job. There is a dating scene in San Antonio, but it lacks a ton. Austin>Dallas>Houston>San Antonio for the dating scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio