Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:21 AM

30 posts, read 82,427 times

Advertisements

Reading comprehension is by far the majority of the exam. However, the memorization questions are where most applicants make their errors. You need to do a search for practice memory scenes...they're out there. Also, first-time applicants sometimes slack off on their preparation because they hear that the test is easy. Well, that's correct...it is easy. It's also easy for a couple thousand other people in the room with you. This means missing one question could end your bid for this year. For example, you may make a 95 only to find out there's a hundred slots between your score and a 96 (not to mention those scoring higher).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 PM

715 posts, read 1,356,330 times
i took it about 3 years ago and didn't move on because I didn't score a 92 or higher. don't know whether the standards have changed or not since then. It was about almost 200 hundred questions and the first 15 are nothing but the memory scene. there was about close to 2000 people when I took it and I think by the end of everything, they were only gonna end up hiring about 150.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:06 PM

30 posts, read 82,427 times
The test is one hundred questions. I believe the number of test takers has been between 3 to 4 thousand. Approximately 60-100 people have been hired off recent test lists (of course this includes passing the rest of the steps in the hiring process).

Old 05-20-2009, 07:12 AM

3 posts, read 14,913 times
I did read and study the pdf info on the safd site so i was just inquiring if there was any other safd specific study guides, thanks for the info.....the ones at the book stores are worth checking into i suppose, these fire dept test,s are a pain in the !!!!!!!. i scored very well for el paso fire dept years ago and waited 2 years to get called.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:17 AM

3 posts, read 14,913 times
so it sounds like the memorization part is the hardest part of these test.

Old 05-20-2009, 09:20 PM

288 posts, read 926,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcloud View Post
so it sounds like the memorization part is the hardest part of these test.
That is always what my husband says. As someone mentioned before, missing one question could mean the difference between getting in or not. You and 200 others might get a 94, and if you are at the bottom of that group then you would really be wishing you got just one more question right. Do memorization practice tests!

Old 05-25-2009, 08:05 PM

322 posts, read 774,599 times
Doesn't San Antonio College have a good FF education program? I know the OP lives in Corpus but maybe he can find a program there or if he's committed to being SAFD he might consider a move up I-37

Old 05-25-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deek102 View Post
Doesn't San Antonio College have a good FF education program? I know the OP lives in Corpus but maybe he can find a program there or if he's committed to being SAFD he might consider a move up I-37
SAC does have a great program. That is where my hubby went before he got in with SAFD. He worked for a smaller department for six years. The smaller departments require you to get certified in EMS and fire on your own, they don't offer certification. Unfortunately, getting certified on your own doesn't help you get into San Antonio Fire Department. (Military vets get 5 extra points on the SAFD exam, but existing firefighters get nada!). I strongly believe that if someone wants to be a firefighter so bad then they would be willing to get certified on their own and work for a smaller department while still trying to get into a place like SAFD or HFD. To me, it signifies who is passionate about the profession and who just wants a job. (I could go on and on about how these two groups of people function differently in the field).

Old 06-14-2009, 03:15 PM

1 posts, read 5,702 times
Default Has anyone taken SAFD polygraph test

has anyone taken SAFD polygraph test. How long is it, how many questions do they ask you, and what questions do they ask?

Old 06-14-2009, 09:43 PM

I'm always here to answer a fire department question Ususally bc my huusband is right next to me.
My husband took the polygraph of course when he got hired. He was asked the same set of questions three times, and each time the question was worded differently. He said there were about 30 questions each round. From listening to the other guys talk about their experiences with the polygraph the test is different for each candidate. I know the most important thing is to NEVER change your answer. I suppose that if you lie the first time you should just lie each subsequent time. That sounds horrible doesn't it? They are not going to hire a liar so if they catch you in a lie you are automatically dunzo. Just don't lie from the beginning and you'll be okay! True story: We have a friend we was on track to get in the next cadet class. He got all the way to the polygraph and he didn't get in because they "didn't like his breathing pattern". Honestly, I think he researched polygraph tests and thought too much about it. Rather than just telling the truth he tried to beat the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio