U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2009, 09:46 AM

11 posts, read 11,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
That question is subjective. How can we possibly answer that without knowing you? if you're a nice person, it'll be much easier to meet people than if you are a total jackass.....
I hope I haven't come off as a "jackass" as you have said, but sorry if I did.

I'm a really nice person, very loyal to those who are authentic. Thanks for your help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM

214 posts, read 306,518 times
When I first got here I met some people on OKcupid.com ... It's the only dating site I have ever heard of that's free. I met lots of friends, and am now in a relationship with a girl I met up with there. My best friend and I went on a double date with her and her best friend. We're all happy.

Just for background we're young professionals and they are active military. We're very normal, fun loving people. We just chose the internet route to avoid blind dates with weirdos. Generally, we have found that when people try to hook you up with their friends it because they feel sorry for that person - or for you - which is not a good start. I just put up a profile that was not at all desperate, and very honest. I suggest you try it.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:02 PM

824 posts, read 1,075,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave View Post

I'm a really nice person, very loyal to those who are authentic. Thanks for your help!
txdave - you absolutely didn't come off like a "jackass". I continue to be amazed at poor manners demonstrated by many foks on this board.

SA's much different than Dallas (where I'm from). The pace is slower, social/cultural options are more limited (that's not to say they're inferior; they're just fewer of them), and the city is just smaller.

But the people here are much more authentic than Dallasites. It's a much more "informal", laid-back place, where you'll find a refreshing lack of $35k/year millionaires and plastic people.

That said, everything outside of Loop 410 isn't really San Antonio. It's mostly generic suburban stuff you could find in any city. So I obviously disagree with most of the reccomendations you've received so far. The Medical Center, for example, is a really ugly part of SA, and it's no closer to your workplace than many of the cool neighborhoods listed below. Think of it as living in Farmers Branch/Carrollton. Yikes.

Some folks will tell you Stone Oak, or the area near Loop 1604 & I-10 (The Rim) but that's the equivalent of Plano or McKinney (just not as nice). Fine, I guess, if that's what you're looking for.

My advice is to look around for the following neighborhoods: Southtown, King William, Lavaca, Mahncke Park, Monte Vista, Alta Vista, Alamo Heights, Olmos Park. They all offer different things, but in each you'll find lots of professional/educated people, independent restaurants and bars, musuems, art galleries & performance spaces, great historic architecture, parks, etc. These neighborhoods would most closely resemble M Streets, Oak Lawn, Know-Henderson, Bishop Arts, Munger Place, etc. (we don't have anything even slightly resembling Uptown, but we're working on it).

There's a great sense of "community" in these neighborhoods, so if you put yourself "out there", you shouldn't have a problem finding lots of great people and lots of cool/fun things to do.

Oh - SA isn't that much less expensive than DFW, but it's a bit cheaper (across the board). Most importantly.......you won't have to worry about looking like a millionaire to impress anyone here!

Good luck.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:15 PM

13,553 posts, read 20,679,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave View Post

Hi Txdave.....sometimes there is more of a reading comprehension problem than an issue with manners. He said it was a subjective question.........and it is. If you're mean to people it may be a little harder to make friends, no?

That said, dvlpr nailed it. The dt locations/neighborhoods he mentioned are tops!

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2009, 02:22 PM

452 posts, read 617,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newk View Post
I live and work east of the airport, and am a professional as well with a college degree. I am looking to meet some like minded individuals too. Good luck in your search.

Here are some suggestions for apartments:
Lakeside Villas
Villas of Oakwell Farms
Newport Apartments
I'll add Oakhampton Place in Oakwell Farms to that list.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:05 AM

11 posts, read 11,712 times
Thanks, I appreciate all the input! Keep the suggestions coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio