Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 AM

24 posts, read 44,775 times

Advertisements

My son got accepted to UIW. Any good tips about the university and San Antonio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 11:32 AM

1,220 posts, read 2,680,780 times
I'm an alumni of UIW. He'll enjoy it. What is he studying? It's a fairly small University and very liberal for a Catholic institution. It is also a close-knit community with good kids.

UIW is in a nice area called Alamo Heights, and it is not too far from downtown. What else do you want to know about SA?

Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,227 times
I'm a former student there - I wouldn't recommend the school unless you can afford to pay $15000 cash a year for it after financial aid.

PM me if you want more information

Old 04-03-2009, 03:45 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,200 times
SAVE A HECK OF A LOT OF MONEY!!!

It's very expensive.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:48 PM

484 posts, read 1,583,892 times
I have several friends who went there, and I've heard mixed reviews on it. The number one complaint about it though seems to be the cost (especially when compared to other Texas schools).

Has your son been accepted to or considering anywhere else? If so, that may help to give you something to compare it to.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:44 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,288,551 times
I agree with everyone else regarding the expense. I am a former student and I came in with scholarships and federal aid still being barely enough to cover HALF the cost of one year. I actually left after my first year and transferred to a more affordable state school. It is just very expensive and the quality of education speaking from only my experience, was no different than the one I received from attending a state school.

Best of luck to your son in whatever path he chooses!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:50 PM

132 posts, read 286,739 times
Also curious to see what he's going into. I attend pharmacy school there and Im about to finish my first year. As everyone has already stated, it is VERY expensive. I moved here to attend, and I have to say that my fiancee and I LOVE San Antonio. Lots to do, friendly people (compared to where I'm from), and just all around a great place in our opinion. Curious to see what field he's going into...I think that would hold a lot of weight for the cost of the tuition you will incur at the school.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:13 AM

181 posts, read 674,063 times
My husband and I both graduated from Incarnate Word. I HIGHLY recommend it. It's a small private university with small classes. While I was there I really felt like the professors cared about me and took the time to get to know me on a personal basis. It is very expensive, but it's a private university. My husband and I both took out loans and received a few scholarships, but we'll still be paying for a long time! It's well worth it though. I was one of a few Jewish students at the university, which is actually kind of funny considering it's a Catholic University. You're required to take religion classes, which I loved! My Religion professor, who was a nun, actually asked and came to my family's Passover Seder. That's just one example of the professors really caring about you. If you want anymore information please DM me. I would be happy to tell you much more! Congratulations and good luck to your son.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM

24 posts, read 44,775 times
Thanks for the help, He will attend the school of pharmacy, he got some grants and some scholarships, and he will try to walk on the Football team.
We are visiting the school next week and I hope he will like it. We heard good things about San Antonio.

Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,968,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
It is just very expensive and the quality of education speaking from only my experience, was no different than the one I received from attending a state school.

Best of luck to your son in whatever path he chooses!
What he said.

Too expensive for the quality of education. My brother got his masters there, but only because he got a full scholarship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio