Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 08:02 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times

Advertisements

And then we'll be reading about the CPS clerk who has possession of all the combos and addresses......and she's sold/given them to her hoodrat friends, and everyone's stuff starts comin' up missing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 09:38 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Is CPS really going to do this? I know SAWS is supposed to be replacing all existing water meters and cast iron meter boxes with new meters w/plastic meter boxes that transmit the readings wirelessly to a remote location, but this is the first I've heard of CPS doing something like this.
When we put the new wiring in our house in early 2005, the COSA inspector told us this as well - in his suggestion to move the meter to a new place. However, it wasn't set yet and sounds like it's still in the talking phase.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:49 PM

311 posts, read 846,082 times
OMG...I just had to laugh...the brilliant ideas that these companies come up with constantly amaze me! They must put crack in their water supply at the office!

Old 04-10-2009, 10:44 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,423,949 times
Quote:
Although the statement in the bill insert reads exactly as you quoted, the only way this would even begin to make sense (and the insert does not state to do this) would be if you attached a slip of paper with your lock combination to the portion of the bill you mail back with your payment, so it can be noted on your account.

I think that this would be worse than leaving the combo out. I'm assuming that they mean for you to leave the combo close to when they would regularly read your meter, and also assuming the homeowner would be smart enough to remove the combo shortly after.

BUT, you can never tell these days! I ain't doin' either.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:08 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,455,013 times
Why not just post a sign "If your not the meter reader your not allowed"...about as effective....

Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM

4,327 posts, read 7,235,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I think that this would be worse than leaving the combo out. I'm assuming that they mean for you to leave the combo close to when they would regularly read your meter, and also assuming the homeowner would be smart enough to remove the combo shortly after.

BUT, you can never tell these days! I ain't doin' either.
I would prefer to just leave the gate unlocked around the scheduled meter read dates, instead of disclosing the combo to anyone.

The reason I thought mailing the combo to CPS on a slip of paper made more sense (and I'm still not sure this is what they want customers to do), is because any time I've had to call them for a neighborhood power failure, street light burned out, etc., they always ask the question "is that a gated community?" (it isn't), leading me to believe that the next request would be for the gate code if the answer was "yes".

Can anyone in a gated community without a guard house that is staffed 24/7 confirm that utility providers have to be furnished the gate code in order to gain access to the neighborhood?

Old 04-11-2009, 05:37 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times
Quote:
I would prefer to just leave the gate unlocked around the scheduled meter read dates, instead of disclosing the combo to anyone....
I agree. This is what I do. They have always read the meter on the first date. I then lock the gate that afternoon. CPS (unlike SAWS) is VERY fast at billing and you can go on-line (if you're signed up to pay on-line) and view what you owe the next morning.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
How about a key to the place, so the meter reader can come in get himself a snack while we're at it?
I used to live in a city where the water meters were inside the house. If you weren't going to be home to let the water utility in to read the meter, one of the options was to give them their own key.

Since we were never willing to do that, either Mrs. Bowie or I had to stay home from work to let them in once a year to do the reading.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:05 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,178,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd33 View Post
Awesome info, CPS!

I honestly don't know how they get our meter reading. We have a combo lock, and we never gave them the code... they must jump a 6' fence every month (when the dogs aren't out, or else we'd know about it)!
Typically they'll find a location where they can use binoculars to see the meter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
Soon the systems will be updated so they just need to drive by and pick up the digital signal from the new boxes. We'll be charged for these boxes over 5 years through a small "bump" in our fees.
Actually, I think most of those types of meters simply transmit the data back to the utility company over the electric line itself.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 AM
djw

951 posts, read 2,835,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Typically they'll find a location where they can use binoculars to see the meter.

Actually, I think most of those types of meters simply transmit the data back to the utility company over the electric line itself.
According to this: http://www.cpsenergy.com/files/EC_Apr09_eng.pdf (broken link)

I can email a photo of my meter for my monthly reading. Here's my question...how do they KNOW it's a picture of MY meter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio