Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 08:32 AM

410 posts, read 923,167 times

Advertisements

I have a vehicle that I want to sell. I thought of placing an ad in paper, using craigs list etc. I am trying to avoid the tedious process of "selling" the car to another person, aren't there companies that buy cars (if you're not shopping for a new one) or sell cars on consignment (is there such a service?). Looking for info...thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 08:34 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,136 times
I think Carmax does.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 AM

796 posts, read 3,048,408 times
Yes, Carmax does. We have sold 2 cars without purchasing through them. You just take the car in, they will look it over and give you a purchase price. You then have so many days/mileage (can't remember how long or many) to think it over before you accept their offer.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:30 AM

872 posts, read 1,855,697 times
Carmax yes...but you'll get a good bit more money if you sell it to an individual. Check your value at www.kbb.com and look up the trade-in value (what Carmax will pay you) and also look up the private party value (whay you could sell it to an individual for). That difference could be several thousand dollars depending on the vehicle. To help sell quicker, list it for a couple of hundred dollars below the private party value. Good place to list for free is www.craigslist.com and go to the San Antonio page.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,138 times
We too have sold two cars to CarMax, and have not purchased from them. While we knew that we could, potentially, make more on a private sale, we preferred a more confidential transaction. (Did not want someone coming after us in a year claiming that the car was bad, etc.) We have sold many items on Craigslist, but a car is not one of them

Old 07-21-2009, 06:23 PM

1,366 posts, read 4,485,815 times
yes, we have also sold 2 vehicles to carmax with out buying from them --- with 1 vehicle we took it first to gunn honda, to see what they would give us for a trade in and then we took it to carmax...carmax gave us $100 more so we sold it to them and then turned around and used the money for a downpayment on the new car...

Old 11-14-2009, 12:46 PM

Default Anyone here ever sold their auto to CarMax in SA?

I have a car I want to sell but I don't like the idea of meeting with strangers, dealing with paperwork etc. I know CarMax buys cars and have considered this option. I haven't taken car in yet to be reviewed. But plan on soon. My thing, said car title has my brother's name on top of mine as he signed for me years and years ago and I never switched it afterwards. Would I have to go to title office to change this? Or does my brother simply sign back of title if I sell to CarMax? Are there other places that buy cars like CarMax or are there such things as auto consignment lots? Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks..

Old 11-14-2009, 12:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,978,388 times
There are already several threads concerning Carmax in this forum, search on the name and you'll find your answers...

Old 11-15-2009, 07:19 AM

62 posts, read 132,221 times
I had good luck selling my car to Carmax. I had a 2008 BMW coupe that had to get rid of b/c of new child (4 seater only). All the places I was going to trade it in for a new model were offering lower than bluebook, for no good reason except bad sales, even BMW where I bought it. Carmax made me an offer at or slightly above bluebook, without even having to buy a car from them.
I truly recommend using them - or even getting a free price quote to use against dealers, when trading in.

DC4u

Old 11-15-2009, 06:33 PM

When referring to Blue Book, I see Trade-In, Private Party, and Suggested Retail prices. Which of these does CarMax use to base offer on cars?? Thank you....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: