U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:25 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,970,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFD_Wife View Post
No, my yorkies are inside dogs, but they can go outside whenever they want, for however long they want. Dogs I consider "outside" dogs, will be outside for the most part, but can come inside when they want as well. I just don't think it seems fair to lock a 50+ pound dog in a house. Like I said before, I just don't know people who do that, and don't plan on doing it myself. I feel as long as you give the animals adequate attention, food, water and shelter, then you are giving them the best of everything - inside or outside. It's unfortunate that many people who label their dogs "outside" dogs, don't meet all of those needs.
we do that!!! --- actually, our Belgain Malinois is 80lbs and is every bit an indoor dog...she lets us know when she wants to go outside, she opens the shutters on the back door...she goes out, lays around, does her business and then comes back and scratches on the glass part of the door to come back in...

honestly, i don't think she feels locked up at all...infact, she would rather be inside than outside and if she goes out on the porch and it's too cold she doesn't even step paw in the grass, she just turns around and waltzes right back in...

when we leave during the day she stays loose in the house, unless we are going to be gone for hours on end, then she stays in her kennel ...

she sleeps inside at night ... and on the nights that dh is at work overnight she sleeps only on my side of the bed, on the floor, at the head of the bed, almost as if protecting me ... on the nights dh is home she will sleep wherever she wants in the house, but usually still by my side of the bed...she is very spoiled that dog is!!!

just wanted to let you know that it is very possible for a dog that big to be very happy living primarly indoors ...

here's a picture of her spoiled self with our son...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 12:32 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,278,280 times
that is a good looking dog there Mrs.!!!

Old 04-14-2009, 03:37 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times
Nice looking dog and I bet your son has nothing to fear with her around.
I still say big dogs are more fond of the indoors here in south Texas. I know my chow doesn't like the heat at all and spends 99% of the summer inside with the a/c and cold tile floors.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:49 AM

556 posts, read 1,829,702 times
GREAT photo MRS!!!! Thanks for sharing! And I too have all inside dogs - a pack of them to be honest - and all are over 50 pounds - in fact, most are over 100 pounds. When it's time to go out - they boogie out - do their sniffing, snorting, and bathroom business, but if the conditions aren't just 'right' outside for lounging around, they want right back in, where WE ARE

They crave the physical company of their family - regardless of how much they weigh..........

Old 04-14-2009, 08:11 AM

278 posts, read 616,843 times
my big dogs would much rather live inside with the AC on, ditto with the cat. they're not wolves, they're domesticated animals.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 AM

1,848 posts, read 4,195,585 times
Adorable kid and adorable dog!!

Old 04-14-2009, 10:22 AM

897 posts, read 2,615,657 times
Beautiful spoiled doggie, mrstxcop! Cute little guy, too!! He has nothing to fear with her protecting him!

Your house sounds so much like ours. We have two 50+lb Australian Shepherds, one of which is the "Queen" of the house. She has to know where everyone is at all times, then sits on her throne...errr...pillow and naps. We think she's part Jedi, too, since she has a habit of staring intently at you when she wants something ~ we call it her 'Jedi mind tricks." She normally goes out, does her thing and then comes right back inside, unless, of course, there's a squirrel to chase around or if the other dog has found something to get in to. If it is too wet, she also will waltz back around and decide that it's not worth the effort and want back in. If you go out with her, she will happily run about the yard, maybe patrol the perimeter, get a drink of water, etc., but once you head for the door, she beats you to it and stands there. Her favorite place if left out in the back yard? Lying right at the back door. You will trip over her if you try to get in/out... As I type this, the "queen" is lying right at my feet. If I get up, she'll follow me and sit/lie and wait for me to move again.

The other dog finds more to do outside, like digging under the shed, patrolling the perimeter, looking for squirrels or toads, chasing bees and butterflies, taunting the "queen" with a toy or pulling the frost protecting covers off the plants for you. Still, if you head for the door, she comes a runnin'.

Both dogs sleep inside at night, sometimes in their 'room', sometimes on their pillows. When DH is working overnight, they are both on his side of the bed, the "queen" at the head and the other one at the foot. (But don't tell him that! ) Sometimes they will sleep in the kids' rooms, but they usually will make too much noise for the kids to sleep, or they move around too much for them.

I know they are both spoiled, dh tells me so all the time. He says they don't know what it's like to be real herding dogs. They love the A/C, ice from the dispenser, and their 'afternoon' treats, but most of all, they love being inside with us.

SAFD_Wife, I would encourage you, should you get your new family members, to try having them inside and see how things work out. Make sure you have them crate trained ~ it is a huge blessing to be able to crate your dog when you need to (i.e. workmen in the house.) You may find that it takes a little more work on your part to make them conform to your home life, and a little more work to have to clean up dog hair that may be shed or clean off dirty paws after being outside when it rains or remembering to keep the holiday chocolates, freshly baked cookies and breakfast, lunch and dinner meals secured from nosey thieves, etc etc etc, but in the long run, it will be well worth your efforts.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole... Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.

~ Roger Caras

1st photo - the "Queen"
2nd photo - the "Troublemaker"
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about adopting from ACS-img_4701.jpg   Questions about adopting from ACS-dsc00342.jpg  

Last edited by catriona; 04-14-2009 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-14-2009, 10:57 AM

1,365 posts, read 3,970,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catriona View Post
Beautiful spoiled doggie, mrstxcop! Cute little guy, too!! He has nothing to fear with her protecting him!

Your house sounds so much like ours. We have two 50+lb Australian Shepherds, one of which is the "Queen" of the house. She has to know where everyone is at all times, then sits on her throne...errr...pillow and naps. We think she's part Jedi, too, since she has a habit of staring intently at you when she wants something ~ we call it her 'Jedi mind tricks." She normally goes out, does her thing and then comes right back inside, unless, of course, there's a squirrel to chase around or if the other dog has found something to get in to. If it is too wet, she also will waltz back around and decide that it's not worth the effort and want back in. If you go out with her, she will happily run about the yard, maybe patrol the perimeter, get a drink of water, etc., but once you head for the door, she beats you to it and stands there. Her favorite place if left out in the back yard? Lying right at the back door. You will trip over her if you try to get in/out... As I type this, the "queen" is lying right at my feet. If I get up, she'll follow me and sit/lie and wait for me to move again.

The other dog finds more to do outside, like digging under the shed, patrolling the perimeter, looking for squirrels or toads, chasing bees and butterflies, taunting the "queen" with a toy or pulling the frost protecting covers off the plants for you. Still, if you head for the door, she comes a runnin'.

Both dogs sleep inside at night, sometimes in their 'room', sometimes on their pillows. When DH is working overnight, they are both on his side of the bed, the "queen" at the head and the other one at the foot. (But don't tell him that! ) Sometimes they will sleep in the kids' rooms, but they usually will make too much noise for the kids to sleep, or they move around too much for them.

I know they are both spoiled, dh tells me so all the time. He says they don't know what it's like to be real herding dogs. They love the A/C, ice from the dispenser, and their 'afternoon' treats, but most of all, they love being inside with us.

SAFD_Wife, I would encourage you, should you get your new family members, to try having them inside and see how things work out. Make sure you have them crate trained ~ it is a huge blessing to be able to crate your dog when you need to (i.e. workmen in the house.) You may find that it takes a little more work on your part to make them conform to your home life, and a little more work to have to clean up dog hair that may be shed or clean off dirty paws after being outside when it rains or remembering to keep the holiday chocolates, freshly baked cookies and breakfast, lunch and dinner meals secured from nosey thieves, etc etc etc, but in the long run, it will be well worth your efforts.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole... Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.

~ Roger Caras
yes, you and RD are correct --- the kids have nothing to fear with Mallory around --- and she watches the kids like hawks when we are out in the backyard or the front yard and if we are going for a walk and the kids get to far ahead she will pull and whine until they are closer to us, then she settles back into her stride right up along us...

Mallory has been the best dog with our son ... since he was an infant and learning to crawl he crawled all over her ... he used to lay his head on her and drink his bottle ... now he may go over and sit on her and eat a snack and share with her ... she NEVER moves and inch when he is on her or around her ... she looks up at him then at us then just lays her head back down and waits for him to move ... she is an amazing dog!!!

and you are also correct that it is more of an effort to have them inside, especially when it rains and you have to clean every paw and their muzzle and just kind of dry them up a bit, it's a pain, but well worth the effort...

i also agree with a PP that said that dogs are pack animals, regardless of their size, and if you lead them the right way they will see the owner as their pack leader and they want nothing more than to be part of the pack...

both of our dogs will come up to us at any given time and just sit there and stare at us ... almost willing us to pet them and give them love ... just like you described with their jedi stare, that made me laugh ... and gosh forbid if you don't pet Mallory when she stares at you ... then she will paw us ... she will put her paw up our leg, if we still don't pet her then her paw goes up to our arm ... if we still don't pet her then she paws our hand until she gets a good rub out of us ...

but really, she's not THAT spoiled...

omg...i just posted and then saw that you added pics of your dogs --- they are both so pretty!!! --- i can see where Queen got her title from, with her different colored eyes and beautiful markings ... who cannot be a Queen being that pretty???

Old 04-14-2009, 04:40 PM

13,807 posts, read 26,304,300 times
without the pictures, I was thinking catriona was describing my dogs.. so there are other dogs that wait for ice cubes to drop from the dispenser? my chow loves them. They all love sleeping on couches, ottomans, beds, rugs, tile floor, futon, pretty much anything that isn't outside.. although the two chihuahuas will lay out in sun when it's really hot out, but only if they are in full sun.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:52 PM

616 posts, read 1,854,661 times
I pretty much let my dog decide what he wants to do. There are days I have to force him outside to go relieve himself, and there are days and nights where he flat refuses to come back in, because he's got important things to do, like mark every tree or chase the birds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio