Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 12:19 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
anybody that plans on protesting, I highly recommend, getting the Evidence Packet.
Remind me again...how do you request the packet?

never mind, sorry ...I called and they said just write it on the back of your protest form that you would like the packed and they will send it to your before your date.

Last edited by Camper1; 04-22-2009 at 12:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times
Think I'll be getting the evidence packet as well. My home was one of the only ones in my community to stay at 2007 purchase price for 2008, because I did an informal and they matched purchase price. This year, everyone else is back down where I was at last year, and I've gone up 2k - go figure... I don't think the estimators have any sold homes to go off of for comparables since things have been slow, wonder if I have a fighting chance of getting it reduced. Seems nonsensical that I'd go up 2k, everyone else would go down 5-8k and we're all about the same now. Clearly, they overpriced the other homes last year, but I kinda of think they're doing it again this year. Maybe I should turn on my neighbor that has loaded up on apparently 'overlooked' upgrades, to bring mine down. Or if it's even worth it this year, especially over 2k. Whattya think Steel?

I think one can get the evidence packet by calling in, but don't remember exactly.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:18 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
Once you have their tools in hand, you have a fighting chance. Without it you go in blind. What you do after you get the "Evidence Packet" is nitpick the houses that they compared yours to. Quality-size, brick, location, everything possible. Pictures, print them on your computer, take them with you and dispute.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:41 PM

1,518 posts, read 2,761,059 times
Yeah... I have the packet from last year... as much as I hate to admit, the more I think about it, the more I don't have a fighting chance short of arguing anything fair market value in my community as a whole, as I don't think there were any sales of my similar home size in 2008/09. It's silly to suggest my home is worth more this year than it was worth at this time last year but after checking 6-7 homes on the site, I may be appraised moderately higher If I'm not careful.

Sigh... said it last year and I'll say it again. Prop. tax should be capped..

Old 04-22-2009, 08:39 PM

155 posts, read 373,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
Doubt most folks would favor making the property tax regressive. A property tax is better than an income tax. Lowering one's property tax bill by buying a cheaper house is a lot easier than lowering one's income tax bill by finding a lower paying job!

Old 04-22-2009, 09:22 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Quote:
Despite the public vote to the contrary, I'm not even convinced that property taxes should be capped for senior citizens. I definitely don't think they should be capped for everyone. That would discourage people from buying new homes, in the same way that rent control in big cities actively discourages people from renting new apartments. It would also shift a disproportionate amount of the tax burden on newcomers.

For what reason do you think they should be capped?

Old 04-22-2009, 10:02 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Despite the public vote to the contrary, I'm not even convinced that property taxes should be capped for senior citizens. I definitely don't think they should be capped for everyone. That would discourage people from buying new homes, in the same way that rent control in big cities actively discourages people from renting new apartments. It would also shift a disproportionate amount of the tax burden on newcomers.

For what reason do you think they should be capped?
I believe that the senior citizen cap is due to the fact that many of them are on fixed incomes. Since we're getting closer to that magic age of 65, it will be nice to freeze most of the property tax.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:08 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,665,638 times
Quote:
Think I'll be getting the evidence packet as well. My home was one of the only ones in my community to stay at 2007 purchase price for 2008, because I did an informal and they matched purchase price. This year, everyone else is back down where I was at last year, and I've gone up 2k - go figure... I don't think the estimators have any sold homes to go off of for comparables since things have been slow, wonder if I have a fighting chance of getting it reduced. Seems nonsensical that I'd go up 2k, everyone else would go down 5-8k and we're all about the same now. Clearly, they overpriced the other homes last year, but I kinda of think they're doing it again this year. Maybe I should turn on my neighbor that has loaded up on apparently 'overlooked' upgrades, to bring mine down. Or if it's even worth it this year, especially over 2k. Whattya think Steel?

I think one can get the evidence packet by calling in, but don't remember exactly.
As you answered yourself in a later post, you don't have a chance. Trying to delete a modest $2,000 increase will probably not fly with BCAD. Also, it doesn't matter what your neighbor has inside, as the main things BCAD evaluates are square footage, type/condition of exterior, and the outside property with/without improvements.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:54 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
w00t my appraised value is down to 2007 levels. So it's about $1,000 less than I paid for the place at the end of last May. It'd be hard to talk down the value any further (my only bargaining chip is the roof), and the results I may get wouldn't really be worth the time spent so no protesting for me this year!

Old 04-23-2009, 08:28 AM

23 posts, read 73,784 times
Default Bexar Appraisal does it again...

Just got my notice of value for 2009. Of course it's $30,000 higher than what my builder charges for a same size NEW home in my subdivision. Mine is four years old and comes with ALL standard features. The builder's new houses are a lot nicer. Now they come with trees, sod, and porches in rear. Why would anyone want a four year old house vs a new one, same size, with better features in the same subdivision for $30K more. If these idiots did their research they would save OUR time by not having to protest and take a day off work, get babysitting, etc. and THEY would save time and TAXPAYER money by not having so many protests. I already tried to place a call to the head honcho Michael Amezquita. We'll see if he calls back. Anybody feels the same frustration?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio