Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 09:32 PM

34 posts, read 366,154 times

Advertisements

I live in Austin and there MIGHT be a chance me and my husband will be moving there in a couple of months. I have never been to SA and I have a few questions and hope that some of you can help me.

What is the best side of town to live in?
What is the average rent for a 2 br apt or small house in SA?
I use city bus here all the time , how is the bus system there?
Is the city pedestrian and bike friendly?

We want to be near grocery, restaurants, ect as we are here.

I might have more questions later. Thank you for any help you can give me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:10 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen1 View Post
I live in Austin and there MIGHT be a chance me and my husband will be moving there in a couple of months. I have never been to SA and I have a few questions and hope that some of you can help me.

What is the average rent for a 2 br apt or small house in SA?

I might have more questions later. Thank you for any help you can give me.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Old 04-16-2009, 02:11 PM

Thank you for that link. It has helped a lot. I still do not know which side of the city is the best to live in and and has an easy bus commute to downtown (which is where we both will be working if we move there). We are in our 40's and 50's.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,105,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen1 View Post
The far north side has the highest average valuations per zip code, but there are pockets of the inner city with more expensive older homes.

There may be other parts of town that would be best for you, depending on your preferences.

I'll let someone else answer the rent question.

Quote:
The popular statement about the Via bus system is that it requires 3 transfers to get anywhere. That's likely an exaggeration with a grain of truth.

The city is not as ped and bike friendly as Austin.

Quote:
It sounds like you might like the Mahncke Park/Alamo Heights areas. They are older homes within walking/biking distance of groceries and restaurants.

Old 04-16-2009, 02:33 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,387,646 times
Have you lived in Austin very long? You do know that SA is less than two hours away right? (I have found that a lot more people than I thought were geography challenged) I would just drive down for a few hours and form your own opinion. Then get back on here and ask others if they agree with your opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	map-of-texas-cities.gif
Views:	123500
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	39994

Old 04-16-2009, 02:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Have you lived in Austin very long? You do know that SA is less than two hours away right? (I have found that a lot more people than I thought were geography challenged) I would just drive down for a few hours and form your own opinion. Then get back on here and ask others if they agree with your opinion.

Attachment 39994
That's just too easy..RD.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:30 PM

Thanks for all the info Bowie I am suppose to come to SA the first week in may and I will be there for a week. I am sure I will get all the info I need at that time, I just wanted to see others opinions about it.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:45 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Have you lived in Austin very long? You do know that SA is less than two hours away right?
Just a suggestion...
besides saying that, I would tell people a few places to drive around to get a feeling of what a good and bad area look like...
instead of just driving around Alamo Heights and go back home thinking that all of San Antonio is that way.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:51 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I do know where SA is and how far it is from Austin. I have only been in Austin 1 year and still learning this area and before I got here I did visit a few days and got lots of help in the Austin Forum of the site and thought I would do the same thing this time.

I have NEVER been to SA and I know it's a lot bigger than Austin and I am sure I will not have the time to tour the whole city. Thanks for everyones help.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:56 AM

45 posts, read 188,539 times
given your description of what is important to you (especially the part about walkable neighborhood and bus transit to downtown) you should definitely consider mahncke park as discussed above. do a post search on this site using keywords "mahncke" and "mahnke" (the first is the correct spelling, but it has several iterations in the posts here) and you will get a good idea of what it's like. it's not only on a major bus corridor to downtown, you actually could get there on bike pretty easily, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio