Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:41 PM

1,740 posts, read 5,745,931 times

Advertisements

Sexually oriented business take advantage of women and prey upon folks that need to earn a living. Granted it is my personal opinion - but these institutions are morally depraved. You almost state that you have gone there with pride. I respect your military service and work with the cub scouts...but I do not respect the industry or people that support it. It wasn't long ago in our country that people were ashamed to have attended such places. I wish it were still that way. Women should be cherished - not stripped of their clothes and put on display for men's sexual gratification.

But that is just me - and sadly I know I am in the minority.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,032,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
Sexually oriented business take advantage of women and prey upon folks that need to earn a living. Granted it is my personal opinion - but these institutions are morally depraved. You almost state that you have gone there with pride. I respect your military service and work with the cub scouts...but I do not respect the industry or people that support it. It wasn't long ago in our country that people were ashamed to have attended such places. I wish it were still that way. Women should be cherished - not stripped of their clothes and put on display for men's sexual gratification.

But that is just me - and sadly I know I am in the minority.
Can't rep you yet, but I will. You're a brave guy for saying that, and women LOVE you for it. And yeah, you're entitled to an opinion. Good on you.

And are they teaching that stuff in the Cub Scouts these days? You know, moral compass-type stuff?

Old 04-21-2009, 08:46 PM

132 posts, read 286,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, I guess my morale compass must be broken as I have actually frequented such clubs during my life. So the 25 years of military service, my work with the Cub Scouts, all of my higher education and the trust that the US government still puts in me to handle some of the most classified information available is all negated because I had fun in some strip club when I was young and single?!?

Sorry, but I highly doubt that anyone is in such a position as to throw stones at someone for trying to earn a living....

If you're so concerned about it, why don't you offer her a better-paying job? She has a college education, so I am sure you can find her something that will save her from losing her soul selling drinks at a strip club!
Not throwing stones..never said I've never been to a strip club (although, after growing up I choose not to go to them)..and no, i dont have a job to offer, im still in school myself...I know (like many) how it is to struggle financially...all I was stating that there are better options for work that pay the bills and don't negatively effect your reputation..to some thats important, to some it may not be, just depends what you want in life I guess..to each their own

Old 04-21-2009, 08:58 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Well, you may have a right to your opinion; but you shouldn't judge others. Why you feel you have to right to do so, after claiming to be so morally righteous, is beyond me. I find that to be depraving. I hope when your judgment time comes, you'll have an explanation for it.

I actually applaud the young lady for taking such a job despite having the education for a better one. It is much better than accepting unemployment when there are jobs available, and I hope it is only temporary as I find the decision to work a job that she probably doesn't want versus defaulting on loans and such a positive testimony to her character!

And am I proud that I have been to strip clubs? No, there's nothing really to be proud about. But I am not ashamed either, and I really don't care what other people think about it as it is hypocritical of them to be so judgmental while claiming to be so morally correct. But I guess it is easier for them to judge others than to judge themselves...

Old 04-21-2009, 09:25 PM

898 posts, read 2,895,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banker View Post
If her motivation is money as you state above - and she has already lowered her standards to work in a strip club...then I would be concerned. I see these places as one step removed from prostitution - full of gross perverted men looking to get their thrills.

If I was hiring someone for a legitimate job and they had a strip club on their job history - I wouldn't hire them. I am a firm believer that a person's morale compass will dictate how they handle themselves in all circumstances. What morale compass directs people to frequent or work at these types of places?

If the can't pay all her bills encourage her to move in with you and help her get caught up on her bills while holding down a regular job - that doesn't involve the sex industry.

Just my opinion.
so you would deny a woman employment just because they had once stipped?

Old 04-21-2009, 09:35 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,824,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
so you would deny a woman employment just because they had once stipped?
I think he says that pretty clearly.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Well, you may have a right to your opinion; but you shouldn't judge others. Why you feel you have to right to do so, after claiming to be so morally righteous, is beyond me. I find that to be depraving. I hope when your judgment time comes, you'll have an explanation for it.

Whoa NELLY! Who's opinion is judgmental...yours or his? I can't tell the difference! Calling someone depraved and a moral hypocrite is pretty judgmental as well.

Just to clarify MMM, you're not applying for a job as in bankers example. You don't have to disclose that you patronize a strip club to the Cub Scouts do you?

I have to totally agree with Banker on this one. Serving in a bar is one thing, but a strip club that exploits women is not a plus for anyone. If this young lady HAS to resort to this kind of work and wants to later work in a more conventional/conservative line of work, then it's probably best not mentioned on her resume.

Last edited by wCat; 04-21-2009 at 10:35 PM..

Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2009 View Post
It was greatly appreciated. For the comments regarding her eventually becoming a stripper, well I am not worried about that. She recently graduated college, although with the way the economy currently is she figured she would do that until she gets a secure and stable job because she hasn't had any luck yet. And yes, there are other places she could wait tables at such as Chili's or other restaurants of that sort, but due to the large amount of bills she has including rent, utilities, school loans and the list goes on, she needs a well paying job in her field or waiting tables where she will make above average tips. The way she explained it to me, if she were to work at a Chili's or similar to that, she would not be able to pay all her bills. Either way, thank you all for the comments and feedback.
I don't want to get involved in the morality discussion, but I would concur with previous posters that if your daughter can't make it (temporarily, at least) waiting tables in this town, she may not be budgeting/spending wisely. I was once a poor college graduate saddled with more than $40K in student loans and working the front desk at a local hotel for $7/hr while trying to get a job in my chosen field. If she has student loans, she is eligible for a deferment or forbearance until her income increases. If her rent/utilities are too high, she can consider taking on a roommate.

Trust me, I don't think any of my future employers would have hired me if they'd had the impression that I'd worked in a less than "socially acceptable" business. If your daughter is dead set on working in a strip club, you might want to advise her to get a part-time job or internship at a firm in her chosen field so she has a credible story & references to provide interviewers with no "employment gap" to explain when she leaves the strip club off the resume. Just a bit of practical advice from someone who's faced similar difficulties.

Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times
A strip club is a legitimate business. It's not illegal, even though it doesn't sit well with some people. Whether it's a step above prostitution or not isn't the point. Waiting tables (or dancing, for that matter) is LEGAL. It's a job that pays the bills. And, just like any other job, it can be used to do something illegal. I would rather have my daughter work an honest job as a waitress in a strip joint than be a thieving CEO of some major company. But, that's just me.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:22 PM

791 posts, read 3,960,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
A strip club is a legitimate business. It's not illegal, even though it doesn't sit well with some people. Whether it's a step above prostitution or not isn't the point. Waiting tables (or dancing, for that matter) is LEGAL. It's a job that pays the bills. And, just like any other job, it can be used to do something illegal. I would rather have my daughter work an honest job as a waitress in a strip joint than be a thieving CEO of some major company. But, that's just me.
No one said anything about it being illegal. But - right or wrong - people in a professional situation are going to make assumptions about your character and sense of judgment based on where you have chosen to work. This tendency is not limited to people who work at strip clubs. I know someone who worked as a military interrogator (yes, that kind of interrogator) in Iraq & Afghanistan. I have to work very hard not to prejudge this person and make assumptions about his character and values based on his decision to engage in this work. There are people who would stand up and salute him for his work, and others who would just as quickly denounce him. Same thing applies to people who work in other socially undesirable businesses, such as the aforementioned strip clubs. People are going to make judgments. It's up to you to decide what you feel comfortable putting on your resume.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio