U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:31 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,791,258 times

Advertisements

This question applies mostly to the onramps where it dumps into a lane on the highway (and the lane ends) - not where it leads to an offramp.

Sometimes I see people stopped at the freeway entrances (like they're waiting for a hole in traffic?), and sometimes I see people on the freeway make room for people coming onto the highway. What's supposed to happen? Who has the right of way here? I haven't been able to figure out the rules here yet by watching what the locals do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,291,155 times
holy crap! the last thing you want to do is watch how locals drive.. I don't know the actual law, but it's common courtesy to get over and let oncoming traffic in if that's an option. I do know the last drivers test I took (California) said oncoming drivers are supposed to accelerate to the speed of traffic (not the speed limit, what traffic is actually moving at) and merge in. People here stop, slow way down, or just signal and go without bothering to look. I know that none of those three are what you're supposed to do, but if you want to look like a local, that's what you should do..
and for those without their sarcasm sensors turned on, please turn them on and read that last sentence again..

Old 04-21-2009, 06:40 AM

190 posts, read 456,911 times
I think this thread might help...

A Major Pet Peeve.... Yield Signs in SA?

Old 04-21-2009, 06:55 AM

179 posts, read 409,143 times
What I have always been taught is that if traffic is light try to move over to allow the safe entrance of the oncoming driver. When traffic is steady maintain your speed and direction and allow the oncoming driver to adjust to the speed of traffic (that means no closing up traffic holes). Finally if traffic is heavy and everybody comes to a stop (hello 410), then the entrance ramp gets one car in every other car, or the zipper effect if you will.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:58 AM

3,770 posts, read 7,274,789 times
This is why I dont drive

Old 04-21-2009, 07:06 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,308,124 times
Merge. Just use your best judgement.

The other day I was getting on 151 where it begins at Hwy 90. There was a very old man in front of me doing 40 mph . These people coming from 90 to 151 are going MUCH faster than that. I got around him and looked over. It was kinda funny, this 80 year old man couldn't care less what anyone else on the road was doing.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:21 AM

269 posts, read 668,080 times
Check out chapter 4, http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf (http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf - broken link)

Old 04-21-2009, 08:44 AM

4,080 posts, read 6,084,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXtrkgrl View Post
Merge. Just use your best judgement.

The other day I was getting on 151 where it begins at Hwy 90. There was a very old man in front of me doing 40 mph . These people coming from 90 to 151 are going MUCH faster than that. I got around him and looked over. It was kinda funny, this 80 year old man couldn't care less what anyone else on the road was doing.
Because he was comatose.......

Old 04-21-2009, 08:48 AM

4,080 posts, read 6,084,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
holy crap! the last thing you want to do is watch how locals drive.. I don't know the actual law, but it's common courtesy to get over and let oncoming traffic in if that's an option. I do know the last drivers test I took (California) said oncoming drivers are supposed to accelerate to the speed of traffic (not the speed limit, what traffic is actually moving at) and merge in. People here stop, slow way down, or just signal and go without bothering to look. I know that none of those three are what you're supposed to do, but if you want to look like a local, that's what you should do..
and for those without their sarcasm sensors turned on, please turn them on and read that last sentence again..
A majority of drivers here will move over a lane to allow you to merge BUT there's alot of drivers that will speed up to try and cut you off. They're the ones that get the surprise of their lives...

Old 04-21-2009, 08:50 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,455,368 times
people that stop on the on ramp pi** me off more than any other drivers in the world.

Certainly you can hit the road running and manipulate your speed enough to work in before your lane runs out......seems like why they give you a running lane in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio