U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 08:26 PM

413 posts, read 1,271,284 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting married next year and I'm looking for a venue that's a big house/mansion.

I have looked at:

Koehler House - they aren't reserving any 2010 dates, which I'm really sad about
Red Berry Mansion
Victoria's Black Swan Inn
Lambermont - a little out of my price range

That's all I can think of the top of my head. I'm trying to stay away from a hotel. I want an outdoor wedding. Any suggestions I'll take them.

Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
Too bad about the Koehler House - I hosted an event there for the board, etc. of an organization I'm involved with and it was AMAZING. They were so easy to work with and the house is gorgeous.

Unfortunately I don't know of any other venues that fit your bill. Good luck though!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM

616 posts, read 1,853,996 times
The McNay - you have your choice of either the new Stieren Center, or the original house and courtyard. And you can have your ceremony in front of the fountain overlooking the city.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:23 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,940,624 times
What about the Guenther House? I don't know if they do weddings, but it is a beautiful place.

Eleanor, I forgot about the McNay! How many times have I seen brides by the fountain getting their wedding portraits made?! Countless!

Old 04-21-2009, 09:27 PM

Guenther does do weddings! Excellent idea. I do believe they will tent outside by the river for you as well.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,713,541 times
Victoria's Black Swan is lovely, but the surrounding area leaves a bit to be desired.

Red Berry's mansion is beautiful. Have you checked out their website?

The Koehler House is in great need of renovating and repair. I agree that it's a great place.

Also...look into the Guenther House in the King William area. C.H. Guenther & Son, Inc. - The Guenther House (http://www.pioneermills.com/GuentherHouse.aspx - broken link)

You might also call the San Antonio Conservation Society and ask about any historical properties that may be available for weddings.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 AM

Thank you all for you help.

I like the McNay idea, but the ceremony can only be 30 min and it has to be standing. I don't know I was looking for something a little more traditional than that, but it's always a back up option. The McNay always makes great bridal portraits. I'm also considering the Witte Museum. They allow weddings on the grounds as well.

I have looked into the Guenther House. I'm waiting for a callback to tour the place.

I'm going to the Red Berry Mansion today for open house. They are expensive if you do it on a Saturday, which was my original plan, but I'm willing to move my date to Friday evening, which cut the costs about $1000 to rent.

I'm also going to tour the Woodward House today, which is owned by the The Woman's Club.

I am SUPER UPSET about the Koehler house, that was my dream wedding right there, price and everything, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

I'll call the San Antonio Conservation Society and see what help they can give me. Thank you for all the help!

Old 04-22-2009, 08:19 AM

I had my prom at the Woodward House - it's very pretty, but I remember them having some strict rules about decorations. Of course, those could have been special "dear God, don't let the teenagers ruin our beautiful house" rules.

Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM

LOL.

I LOVE the Woodward House. They didn't tell me anything about decorations, but the house is so pretty itself it doesn't need much decoration. They are very open to catering and alcohol, which I really like, because that helps with my budget. Thank you again for the help!

Old 04-22-2009, 03:36 PM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,455,540 times
does it have to be in San Antonio proper?

there is a ranch on your way to corpus that has a really nice mansion on it that hosts events. Windwood ranch is the name of the place and their website is Windwood Ranch - South Texas Prima Ranchland

I have been hunting out there and found the place to be amazing.

It may be a bit of a haul, but wasn't sure what you options were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio