U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 09:30 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
As a temp last year, my fiance was told that they weren't going to hire her because she had the 'wrong heritage' as they put it. Guess she was too pale for the company.
No way! Are you serious??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 04:34 AM

5,615 posts, read 12,789,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
No way! Are you serious??
I wish I were, and those were the company's words. I don't remember who it was either but she might. It was her first interview after moving here too.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:04 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
I'm not shocked. There is a lot of prejudice in this city and it's even worse if your skin color is darker than the median.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 AM

14,613 posts, read 31,138,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
I'm not shocked. There is a lot of prejudice in this city and it's even worse if your skin color is darker than the median.
His fiancee is "pale".

Old 04-24-2009, 05:37 AM

13,807 posts, read 26,289,640 times
yes, I read that. My wife isn't pale..

Old 04-24-2009, 06:14 AM

moral of the story - get spray on tan if you're light. and uh... idunno what to do if you're dark.

In the professional world we have none of that - all interviews I've done are over the phone and we're more concerned about picking up the most qualified person for the job than anything else. Companies should give that one a try, it works great.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:40 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,472,866 times
Quote:
As a temp last year, my fiance was told that they weren't going to hire her because she had the 'wrong heritage' as they put it. Guess she was too pale for the company.
That's discrimination, she just let it happen?

Old 04-24-2009, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
That's discrimination, she just let it happen?
Yeah, and it's wrong. But at the same time what are the odds that anything would come from a case where it's he said / she said because surely the paperwork says something else (and then some years later if you win, what do you collect?). She did let the temp agency know though since it could probably become a liability for them. I didn't let it get her down, and she moved on and found something that she likes and that pays better anyway a couple of weeks later by looking outside of the temp world.

IMO the greatest way to say F-you in a situation like that or where someone says you'll never make it is to become successful and live a good life.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:19 AM

3,139 posts, read 5,157,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
not sure if those are the same people that come out and service home a/c units, but if they are, it's not good according to the guy that came out to do maintenance on mine about a month ago. He said they have experienced a significant drop in business and many of the people are having hours cut or being let go. I personally don't understand that one because a/c is one thing you absolutely cannot live without here in the summer. There's of course a couple of exceptions, but I think they are a little bonkers
I am aware that many of these service companies do installations, and during periods of robust new construction, builders can keep some of these firms busy -- it becomes their bread and butter. When we have a drop-off in new construction like we are experiencing now, some of these places have no choice but to let some of their staff go, and in some cases, the company may fold if they are too heavily dependent on new construction. Then those workers flood the market, and go and take whatever jobs are available at the places that depend on service and repair for most of their business.

Old 04-24-2009, 07:39 AM

3,139 posts, read 5,157,678 times
Quote:
That doesn't surprise me. I've heard of people being told in in interview something that goes like this: "We're looking for an individual to fill the position on a long-term basis. You're probably pretty close to retirement".

Here's one I've been asked point blank: "Are you married?"

I think the best thing to do in most of these situations is just move on. You probably wouldn't want to work at a place like that, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio