Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 09:48 AM

4 posts, read 21,519 times

Advertisements

I recently saw a newscast that informed the viewers that those who own their homes are vulnerable to unscrupulous people filing a Quick Claim Deed on the home. Is this true? If so, how do we prevent that from happening? Thank you for any information you can provide me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2009, 10:21 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,832,376 times
A Quit Claim Deed, is where you sign over your rights as owner to the house. No one can do it without you and whoever else is on the title of the house signing the document. It's another form of title. It doesn't remove your financial obligation to the mortgage company, but the title is in whoever's name is on the Quit claim deed. They have to be notarized and recorded to be legal.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:40 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBRothe View Post
I recently saw a newscast that informed the viewers that those who own their homes are vulnerable to unscrupulous people filing a Quick Claim Deed on the home. Is this true? If so, how do we prevent that from happening? Thank you for any information you can provide me.
A Quit Claim Deed essentially means one of the parties who holds title to a piece of property gives up their ownership, or "quits". Probably one of the most common uses would be transfer of ownership between family members, or in a divorce situation, where one of the partners no longer wants to have an interest in real estate they owned with their spouse.

BTW, on what newscast did you hear about this vulnerability? Sounds to me like something that may have been blow way out of proportion. I wouldn't think the majority of people have anything to worry about.

Old 04-25-2009, 02:52 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
BTW, on what newscast did you hear about this vulnerability? Sounds to me like something that may have been blow way out of proportion. I wouldn't think the majority of people have anything to worry about.
I was wondering this too. Which newscast? Can you go to the web site and see if they have a follow up story?

My only guess would be unscrupulous contractors preying on the elderly, or lease to own contracts which can be on shaky grounds to begin with.

A quit claim is a legal document.....not something someone can do without your consent.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 AM

I wish I could remember where I heard it---perhaps on CNN? Anyway, I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you for the information you've given me.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Location: 281 north of 1604 - otherwise known as traffic hell
450 posts, read 1,598,539 times
the other distinction of a quit claim deed is that it passes the property without warranty. You basically tell the purchaser - I'm giving you my interest in the property, whatever interest that may be, but am making so representaitons that I have good title, free from encumbrances, etc.

There are certain warranties one makes impliedly when transferring property, by using a quit claim deed (legal term of art) - you are effectively telling anyone interested that you did not make those warranties in this case.

Sort - to a small degree - absolves the seller of potential culpability if it turns out there are defects.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBRothe View Post
I wish I could remember where I heard it---perhaps on CNN? Anyway, I appreciate all of your responses. Thank you for the information you've given me.
Chris....if it wasn't a San Antonio broadcast, then you might want to check out a general legal or real estate discussion forum. I googled quitclaim fraud and found several hits.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:35 AM

I'll check it out! You all were great with your information and I appreciate all your answers. Thank you so much! Chris

Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 AM

wCat, thank you for your suggestion. I saw how fraud was committed through forged signatures. How can that be prevented so that there's no worry of someone forging our name on a Quit Claim deed? Or, is it at all preventable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio