Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 07:01 AM

7,105 posts, read 11,738,487 times

Advertisements

As a part of La Semana for many years, I can confirm some of the LSF comments. I saw council members come in to pick up large numbers of "comp" tickets - the same members that would publicly attack us. Little "donations" that were expected across the board by so many different people/groups that it wasn't funny - and Henry.....who, while slamming the City Manager for not taking a staff member to task for vacationing in Mexico with a DIVORCED ex-wife of another staffer, was himself taking a MARRIED spouse of a SA business owner to bed in various hotels around the city.
I had several conversations with local SA media reps about why they weren't bringing to light Cisneros' activities - their "reasoning" was that it "wasn't news - it's personal". Right up until the network media broke it.....then they tried to act like they were "on top of it". Hell - Cisneros' security detail (SAPD members) could've told them all kinds of stories.
Moving us out of downtown was done at the behest of the developers, who wanted the area "sanitized" for their parking garages, etc. I can still remember the look on Bud Little's (WOAI news) when I called Cisneros a liar at a news conference he held to promote the little playground they put in at the site where the old La Semana site was at Hemisfair Plaza - and I gave him several predictions - not only about what was behind forcing the Jaycees out, but about what Cisneros was really up to, and what was in HIS plans for the future, both for the city and his own personal agenda....which came to be.
If you wanna see me get upset, mention "Henry Cisneros" and "honorable" in the same sentence....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2010, 12:13 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,011,162 times
.... well let's avoid that and just talk about how GREAT it was to hear Budgie play together back in the day. La Semana was a great thing!

Old 09-02-2010, 05:38 PM

La Semana provided outstanding bands at killer prices for years - there can be no doubt of that!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,011,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
La Semana provided outstanding bands at killer prices for years - there can be no doubt of that!
Didn't Legs Diamond used to play at it all the time?

Old 09-02-2010, 09:06 PM

I *think* so - I worked primarily in finance, so usually was too busy running ticket receipts an' such - besides, bein' a country music fan, I didn't listen to much of the music! Oh, well....

Old 03-04-2017, 04:11 PM

1 posts, read 758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I miss La Semana very much! I attended many shows in the 80s and 90s and it was always my favorite event. It was a little rowdy, but I think it's bad reputation was overblown, and by today's standards, even laughable.

I thought the last years when they moved it to the Freeman grounds were esp good. I liked the addition of the carnival rides, and the additional attractions.

But the best thing were the bands playing every night of the week!! LEGS DIAMOND recorded their "Captured Live" CD there. Other bands I recall performing thru the years are KISS, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN, SELENA, TED NUGENT, LITA FORD, SPINAL TAP, BLUE OYSTER CULT, JOAN JETT, BUDGIE, ERIC JOHNSON, MOTORHEAD, TOBY KEITH, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK, PAT TRAVERS, BOUFFANT JELLYFISH, TRAPEZE, HEYOKA, OZZ KNOZZ, U.F.O., COLLECTIVE SOUL, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, ROB HALFORD'S FIGHT, BROTHER CANE, JOE KING CARRASCO, SUNDAY, PARIAH and countless others...

Actually, just the other day I was trying to find, without much luck, a list of bands that have played the festival. If anyone has any links or flyers/articles to post, I would love to see them!
My former band JUDGE MENTAL played with FIGHT and BUDGIE in 1995. The last year of it...

Old 03-04-2017, 08:56 PM

4,486 posts, read 4,939,634 times
I recall my first stage rush!
I think it was Joe King Carasco..
Talk about panic attack. I remember feeling like I was going to go under the crowds feet as they rushed the front stage.
Fine memories nevertheless.

Back in the day our Bank used to count the money...
Free tickets for us!!! Worked it many years!!

Old 10-23-2020, 10:51 AM

2 posts, read 900 times
Pat Travers 1986 main stage

Old 10-23-2020, 11:45 AM

6,476 posts, read 7,420,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsdude View Post
I worked with the Jaycees at LaSemana in the 70's & 80's when it was at Hemisfair Plaza. It was a great event with separate rock and country music areas. It ran later than NIOSA so we always had a large crowd join us when NIOSA closed. OH the memories!
What was the "Jaycees"? I remember going to concerts in San Antonio the 90's dubbed "The Jaycees Jam" but I don't recall what Jaycees was.

Old 10-23-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
What was the "Jaycees"? I remember going to concerts in San Antonio the 90's dubbed "The Jaycees Jam" but I don't recall what Jaycees was.
Jaycees = Junior Chamber of Commerce. Essentially a place for folks to gain business skills through practical application and learning how to properly put a business plan together. As a side benefit, they often did major fundraisers benefitting many local groups/charities. Sadly, it has largely fallen by the wayside as folks became less involved in their communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio