Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 11:58 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,613,847 times

Advertisements

Are any of the properties in San Antonio doing any kind of live viewing of available units, or do you have to rent sight unseen because of COVID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2020, 04:54 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
My sister is apartment hunting right now. It sounds to me that she’s doing self guided tours, like given a key of the model and then goes out on her own. I’ll ask her how it’s been. I’ve been checking property websites and it’s been a bit hit or miss on whether they are open or not. FWIW, I rented sight unseen up here (did a FaceTime tour) and there’s a few things I would change, primarily unit location as i back up to like 12 AC units) but otherwise it wasn’t a horrible experience.

Old 08-27-2020, 05:48 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,243,697 times
I think it depends. My apt complex conducts tours by appointment right now. Most of the community ammenties are not accessible (and you're paying for them) or are accessible at reduced hours.

Good luck.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:17 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
Hire two apartment hunter services and see who offers the best deal.

We used one on Huebner a few weeks back they found us a great price and a discount for our employer affiliation.

Old 09-09-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Hire two apartment hunter services and see who offers the best deal.

We used one on Huebner a few weeks back they found us a great price and a discount for our employer affiliation.
I plan to use an apartment locator, but I'm out of state. I visited a year ago and a lot of the complexes I drove by were really run down. A LOT. Not ghetto, but definitely in need of some landscaping, paint and general renovations. From the apt websites, it appears a lot of the complexes have renovated in the last year (and rent increased, LOL). Many have added video tours of the models, so that helps.

I'm just trying to decide if I want to fit in a hunting trip before I move and go straight into the apartment or get a hotel and look after I get there. I'm not thrilled about a flight right now, but the idea of a hotel for 2 weeks isn't thrilling either (neither is appealing right now due to COVID).

Thanks for the replies!

Old 09-10-2020, 05:27 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,119,141 times
Several new complexes in stone oak. Couple just starting to lease.

Old 09-10-2020, 07:24 AM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I plan to use an apartment locator, but I'm out of state. I visited a year ago and a lot of the complexes I drove by were really run down. A LOT. Not ghetto, but definitely in need of some landscaping, paint and general renovations. From the apt websites, it appears a lot of the complexes have renovated in the last year (and rent increased, LOL). Many have added video tours of the models, so that helps.

I'm just trying to decide if I want to fit in a hunting trip before I move and go straight into the apartment or get a hotel and look after I get there. I'm not thrilled about a flight right now, but the idea of a hotel for 2 weeks isn't thrilling either (neither is appealing right now due to COVID).

Thanks for the replies!
I'd reccomend making a list of complexes you are interested in and then contact them directly to see what their touring looks like. They will probably offer you the option to do something virtual. Honestly, I wish I had done an in person viewing of my complex before renting. I probably would have selected a different unit or continued to look. My bedroom window looks out to about 12 AC units. It took a few weeks to get used to the noise and I can't sit outside without the noise over powering any conversation.

Old 09-11-2020, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
I'd reccomend making a list of complexes you are interested in and then contact them directly to see what their touring looks like. They will probably offer you the option to do something virtual. Honestly, I wish I had done an in person viewing of my complex before renting. I probably would have selected a different unit or continued to look. My bedroom window looks out to about 12 AC units. It took a few weeks to get used to the noise and I can't sit outside without the noise over powering any conversation.
Good point on the view! I have two cats so "view of some sort" in on the Must Have List. Guess I'll just do the extended stay option and look when I get there. I'm getting in a week ahead of my pod delivery anyway so it's not like I have to have somewhere immediately so I can unload everything

Old 10-18-2020, 04:22 PM

10 posts, read 5,553 times
Default Hard to find complexes that don't have horrid reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashfearless View Post
Several new complexes in stone oak. Couple just starting to lease.
Thank you for the information about Stone Oak. My sister is moving there for work and we spent all day looking for a complex that had decent reviews. We saw too many reviews that current and former residents explained had poor maintenance staff or were not clean with extermination badly needed as well as uncaring management that were crooks.

We must have looked at at least 25 apartment complexes on Trulia then checked google reviews (to get the real story) and learned time and time again of bad management, crime, and leaks....

Old 10-18-2020, 05:58 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,832,217 times
Just remember that reviews are often used as "payback" for properties that evicted/didn't renew leases of the very folks that CAUSE the problems. The level of entitlement felt by some renters is unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio