Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 11:24 AM

898 posts, read 2,894,810 times

Advertisements

I always looked foward to fiesta, because I knew la semana was going to happen. all the live music each night, from all types of national acts. I miss that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 11:38 AM

791 posts, read 3,959,405 times
Yep... nothing says Fiesta like ear-splitting heavy metal music and a bunch of gangbangers shooting and stabbing each other. They got rid of La Semana for a reason.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,518 times
I miss La Semana very much! I attended many shows in the 80s and 90s and it was always my favorite event. It was a little rowdy, but I think it's bad reputation was overblown, and by today's standards, even laughable.

I thought the last years when they moved it to the Freeman grounds were esp good. I liked the addition of the carnival rides, and the additional attractions.

But the best thing were the bands playing every night of the week!! LEGS DIAMOND recorded their "Captured Live" CD there. Other bands I recall performing thru the years are KISS, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN, SELENA, TED NUGENT, LITA FORD, SPINAL TAP, BLUE OYSTER CULT, JOAN JETT, BUDGIE, ERIC JOHNSON, MOTORHEAD, TOBY KEITH, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK, PAT TRAVERS, BOUFFANT JELLYFISH, TRAPEZE, HEYOKA, OZZ KNOZZ, U.F.O., COLLECTIVE SOUL, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, ROB HALFORD'S FIGHT, BROTHER CANE, JOE KING CARRASCO, SUNDAY, PARIAH and countless others...

Actually, just the other day I was trying to find, without much luck, a list of bands that have played the festival. If anyone has any links or flyers/articles to post, I would love to see them!

Old 04-24-2009, 12:37 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,660 times
La Semana Alegre *sigh* how I miss thee....

Old 04-24-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post
Yep... nothing says Fiesta like ear-splitting heavy metal music and a bunch of gangbangers shooting and stabbing each other. They got rid of La Semana for a reason.
well then the fiesta carnival should be next in line

Old 04-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbrocks View Post
I miss La Semana very much! I attended many shows in the 80s and 90s and it was always my favorite event. It was a little rowdy, but I think it's bad reputation was overblown, and by today's standards, even laughable.

I thought the last years when they moved it to the Freeman grounds were esp good. I liked the addition of the carnival rides, and the additional attractions.

But the best thing were the bands playing every night of the week!! LEGS DIAMOND recorded their "Captured Live" CD there. Other bands I recall performing thru the years are KISS, STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN, SELENA, TED NUGENT, LITA FORD, SPINAL TAP, BLUE OYSTER CULT, JOAN JETT, BUDGIE, ERIC JOHNSON, MOTORHEAD, TOBY KEITH, NEW KIDS ON THE BLOCK, PAT TRAVERS, BOUFFANT JELLYFISH, TRAPEZE, HEYOKA, OZZ KNOZZ, U.F.O., COLLECTIVE SOUL, YNGWIE MALMSTEEN, ROB HALFORD'S FIGHT, BROTHER CANE, JOE KING CARRASCO, SUNDAY, PARIAH and countless others...

Actually, just the other day I was trying to find, without much luck, a list of bands that have played the festival. If anyone has any links or flyers/articles to post, I would love to see them!
I'd like to see a list also. I still have saved a plastic white cup from the 94 la semana with the full schedule on it. I need to find that.

Old 04-24-2009, 01:54 PM

I found the cup online..LOL someone was trying to sell it, but they got no bids. click here to read the full schedule of the 1994 la semana alegre.

http://www.erock.net/cgi-bin/Bid.exe?SiteId=EROCK&Item=945276 (broken link)

Old 04-24-2009, 02:07 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,289,660 times
Thats actually pretty cool! though i dont know if id pay $10 bucks! LOL

Old 04-24-2009, 02:45 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,409,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelesteDF View Post

Unfortunately!

The fact that this group has no place to go now makes NIOSA an unsafe and unfriendly event.

Old 04-24-2009, 04:41 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,092,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony78201 View Post
I found the cup online..LOL someone was trying to sell it, but they got no bids. click here to read the full schedule of the 1994 la semana alegre.

http://www.erock.net/cgi-bin/Bid.exe?SiteId=EROCK&Item=945276 (broken link)

LOL! Believe it or not, I'm the one who listed that auction for the cup! (it is still for sale, btw). It is an extra one I saved from the show. I have some from other years but I haven't found them yet.

I remember we would stack our empty cups under the one we were drinking, some people had massive towers of them! If the show got rowdy, people would start throwing the (usually) empty cups around, sometimes dozens at a time, the place looked like a giant popcorn popper! I guess that's why you don't see hard plastic cups at concerts anymore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio