Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 08:21 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
This is the official count from the Texas Department of State Health Services...

So none in Bexar county...

Cheers! M2
So how do they classify the baby that's at Methodist with a confirmed case of the virus? Said he travelled here from elsewhere...but he was here when diagnosed.
Child With Swine Flu Hospitalized In SA - Health News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/health/19324025/detail.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Let's keep this thread on topic. I'm not even going to say please, because this is a public health emergency in our state. If you want to discuss the flu in general or whether the situation is overblown, do it in another thread. This is not the place for those angles on this topic. This thread is the place for local facts and information to be shared.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:45 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djw View Post
So how do they classify the baby that's at Methodist with a confirmed case of the virus? Said he travelled here from elsewhere...but he was here when diagnosed.
Child With Swine Flu Hospitalized In SA - Health News Story - KSAT San Antonio (http://www.ksat.com/health/19324025/detail.html - broken link)
Every case is counted by the county of residence, as it is for every reportable disease. Many many many patients from outside Bexar county get diagnosed in Bexar County hospitals.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Every case is counted by the county of residence, as it is for every reportable disease. Many many many patients from outside Bexar county get diagnosed in Bexar County hospitals.
And if you think about it, that makes sense. Where a person lives and breathes is more important than where they are diagnosed...

Old 04-29-2009, 09:20 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Technically that's true, but when the media reports the location of the patient it's very confusing. This morning one story said the infant fatality was in Houston. Then I read here the child was from Brownsville....when in actuality they were from Mexico City. Some of the media was reporting fatality being in Texas....which was true....but official records should be reflective of Mexico stats, right?

I wish they would leave the reporting of these things to the CDC....period!

Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
And if you think about it, that makes sense. Where a person lives and breathes is more important than where they are diagnosed...

Yes, usually. We do consider travel history and call those "imported" cases or if someone is officially a resident of another location but has spent the incubation period/likely infection period in a different location, that is as important

Old 04-29-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Technically that's true, but when the media reports the location of the patient it's very confusing. This morning one story said the infant fatality was in Houston. Then I read here the child was from Brownsville....when in actuality they were from Mexico City. Some of the media was reporting fatality being in Texas....which was true....but official records should be reflective of Mexico stats, right?

I wish they would leave the reporting of these things to the CDC....period!

The patient died in a Houston hospital. The fatality did occur in Texas. That is accurate.

From a public health perspective, however, it does matter where the patient originated and where they spent their infectious period (and where they were likely to become infected). This information is generally known by public health. The media doesn't always interpret the information they are given correctly. The public further does not always interpret the information they are given correctly.

This one would "count" for Texas if that is where the patient was when they became infected (note above my further clarification re: travel history and dynamics of residence in my response to majormadmax)

Old 04-29-2009, 09:31 PM

Quote:
The patient died in a Houston hospital. The fatality did occur in Texas. That is accurate.

From a public health perspective, however, it does matter where the patient originated and where they spent their infectious period (and where they were likely to become infected). This information is generally known by public health. The media doesn't always interpret the information they are given correctly. The public further does not always interpret the information they are given correctly.

That's right...the media doesn't always interpret the information correctly...same thing I just said. Which makes it even trickier for the public to interpret said information if it's wrong to begin with.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM
djw

951 posts, read 2,834,012 times
Quote:

This one would "count" for Texas if that is where the patient was when they became infected (note above my further clarification re: travel history and dynamics of residence in my response to majormadmax)

probably doesn't help the media or the public that both of these children are 23 months old and reportedly both were first hospitilzed in Brownsville.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:48 PM

Default And who is complaining about SA city council members??

I had to read this several times to believe it. Talk about panic and paranoia!....We may have a couple of doozies in SAtown, but this Houston gal has jumped the shark!

Quote:
One Houston City Council member was upset she had so little information about the case and was irritated that the child was allowed into Houston, even though the first public revelation of a swine flu outbreak didn't come until last week.

"The child was not a United States citizen," said Councilwoman Toni Lawrence, who hinted that the city should be involved in deciding whether a patient with an infectious disease would be cleared for transport here.

"I'm very concerned about this disease, I'm very concerned someone died from it and I'm very concerned council wasn't told about this. We need to be aware of this and continue to do things for Houston and not for anybody else."
Here's the link to the full story:

CDC: Texas swine flu death first in U.S. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/CDC_says_Texas_swine_flu_death_is_first_in_US.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio