Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 03:05 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,785,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Well I didn't interrogate her for their full symptoms! Even if it is something else- I was more laughing at myself for going behind her with the lysol!!! And of course my paranoia got worse....they go to my kids school.
No worries. It's most likely nothing to be worried about. Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 03:11 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,640,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
It's doubtful because the poster above you is a known doctor.
And? What person? I was responding to what you said, not some person above me... The literature also says with this flu children aren't always presenting with fever and cough symptoms like adults. Regardless, it's best to listen to official sources rather than someone on an internet forum, even me.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:36 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,371,193 times
My opinion is that all schools with an infected child should close because many parents are pulling their kids out and nobody is doing any learning anyway. If only 5 kids show up, then everyone might as well go home because the rest of the class won't know what the lessons were for those days they missed and everybody would end up flunking. I don't have any school children, but I myself would not take the child to school if I had one, the reason being that if they are going to spend 7 hours forced to be with someone who's parents didn't take them home when they started to get the symptons, as least I'll look out for my own. I think 7 hours in close proximity to a sick person , without being able to go outside to get some air every once in a while is too much time for allowing the spread of this disease. Yes, you might encounter people at the movies who might be possible carriers, but you always have the option of leaving if you hear someone sneezing and constantly getting up to go vomit. You would spend a max of 2 1/2 hours in close proximity if you stay, but even then, you have less chances of getting it if you go out and wash your hands and avoid contact with this person. Whereas, if you are contained in a school, then everybody is at risk because of the long hours, the constanct close contact the kids have with each other and because if they are small children or careless teens, then might forget to wash their hands after coming into contact with someone that might be carrying the virus and is not yet showing symptoms. Everybody knows that kids at school touch each other constantly while monkeying around or on the playground or in the hall. So many of these kids are not mature enough to remember to do what they should on their own, because thy are kids. So they hug each other, or slap each other playfully , then share candy, yes even the preteens share candy, and don't wash their hands before doing it. The risk is too high. So that's why I agree with the schools closing down.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:55 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,519,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
And? What person? I was responding to what you said, not some person above me... The literature also says with this flu children aren't always presenting with fever and cough symptoms like adults.

CDC doesn't consider it a possible case if there's no fever.

I'm not sure which literature you're interpreting, but that is the official guidance from the CDC based on the early evaluation of those confirmed cases.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:58 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,524,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Well I didn't interrogate her for their full symptoms! Even if it is something else- I was more laughing at myself for going behind her with the lysol!!! And of course my paranoia got worse....they go to my kids school.
nicolasa - I woulda done the same thing! Even BEFORE all this craze! Just the thought that a care provider who was caring for children who were throwing up was using my phone! Yikes! (and OT ~ WHY in the world did someone leave their children in someone's care with NO PHONE?!!! )

I hope that at least ONE good thing comes out of all this ~ maybe people will think before they go out in public when they have ANY sort of flu like symptoms! I for one am SICK TO DEATH of people thinking they're are so "dedicated" and showing up to work sick! Keep it at home people, stop potentially infecting everyone around you! <steps off soapbox>

Old 05-01-2009, 04:28 PM

14,637 posts, read 34,899,103 times
Well, I just heard from the Fed Ex guy that works with a bunch of NISD people, and he said they said they are shutting NISD down next week. The sky is falling.

You heard it here first.

the nisd.net site does NOT reflect that. It's just that he told me and probably 2 dozen other people, some of whom will take it as gospel.

Old 05-01-2009, 04:31 PM

5,643 posts, read 15,654,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
Well, I just heard from the Fed Ex guy that works with a bunch of NISD people, and he said they said they are shutting NISD down next week. The sky is falling.

You heard it here first.

the nisd.net site does NOT reflect that. It's just that he told me and probably 2 dozen other people, some of whom will take it as gospel.
Wow. The question now is: how long do you leave the schools shut down? I mean, at what point is the flu gone? How do you gauge that?

I saw one guy stocking up at HEB today like it was the 1960 nuclear war crisis all over again.

In other news, an airline was diverted because a lady started getting "flu-like symptoms":
http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...iverted_1.html

That's one expensive diversion. What will have more wreck on the economy? Financial crisis or the flu scare?

I can see this happening:

Advisor: Sir! A man in Brazil is coughing!!
President of Magadascar: SHUT...DOWN...EVERYTHING!!
Adivsor: What do you mean, EVERYTHING?
President of Magadascar: EEEEVVVEERRRYYYTTTHHIIINNGGG!!!

Last edited by doss1; 05-01-2009 at 04:52 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 07:26 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,387,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I think that may be his point....just keep them in school rather than running the streets? I kinda have to agree--it seems rather silly to have them out and about.
Yea, kinda like when they let everyone off of work because of ice on the roads, and everyone feels the need to take "advantage" of the unexpected day off and go somewhere....

Last edited by Paka; 05-01-2009 at 07:55 PM..

Old 05-02-2009, 12:57 AM

604 posts, read 1,525,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
WoW!!! I wonder why after reading 19 pages of this thread, I have an urgent craving for pork rinds!!!

And I'm dang p.o.'d that my little G.S's first birthday had to be called off at Landa Park mana`a!!!
Is Landa Park closed down?

Old 05-02-2009, 01:14 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,371,193 times
Today I went to the park, not Landa park, another park. I drank from the waterfountain. Man, I hope it wasn't infected.LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio