Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 01:53 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times

Advertisements

This might sound far out, but I beleive the people that are gettting the flu right now, are the ones who are most assured of surviving if the flu becomes stronger and if the whole country gets it and people swamp the hospitals because they are elderly or weak and there will be no space or time for doctors to give everyone medecine. If they get it now, they will be immune to a stronger strain a few weeks down the road and they can easily get medical treatment without any hassle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 02:26 PM

324 posts, read 1,308,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
This might sound far out, but I beleive the people that are gettting the flu right now, are the ones who are most assured of surviving if the flu becomes stronger and if the whole country gets it and people swamp the hospitals because they are elderly or weak and there will be no space or time for doctors to give everyone medecine. If they get it now, they will be immune to a stronger strain a few weeks down the road and they can easily get medical treatment without any hassle.
very true!

and does anyone know if they have actually said specific symptoms other than just general flu symptoms? My daughter {2.5yo} been sick for nearly a week with something that very well could be a type of the flu. I took her to the doc last week and was only told that it wasn't strep and wasn't a UTI, but then again her pedi isn't the greatest.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:29 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,432 times
Also, I hope everyone is aware that unenforced quarantines are quite useless. Once it's past the first few cases, something as infectious as the flu is hard to contain.

I have a coworker whose spouse works at Steele High School. He's supposed to have been quarantined because he lives with someone who was possibly exposed to the flu at the school. He is at work, and hundreds of people are in this building today.

I'm sure plenty of other people in his situation are going about their lives just the same.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:30 PM

One of the symptoms is vomiting.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM

311 posts, read 845,695 times
Well daggonit...guess who was given a blue mask today (after an in office rapid test).

No confirmation of "swine" but I do have a positive for flu a AND b (whatever that means).

My Dr. talked to the state & they advised my whole family to stay in until we get definate results.

We are all having a round of tamiflu. Anyone wanna bring a huge pot of chicken soup (drop & run ;-) ?

Okay, going to lay down now. I hope you all stay healthy! I feel like a piniata AFTER the party.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipsndip View Post
The difference is that swine flu that is transmitted to humans is usually not a strain that passes very easily human-to-human. This mutation does, and has caused deaths in Mexico of individuals who aren't the typical "infant and elderly" high risk. CDC is investigating to determine why the deaths - it could be other circumstances that play into it - but until they know it's important to reduce the spread.

It's also important not to panic -- this isn't the end of the world, it's just good to stay smart about it. "Pandemic" sounds scary, but just means that the disease could spread worldwide. The yearly outbreak of regular influenza and colds can do the same - they just aren't dangerous besides the usual symptoms.
Excellent post.

And to the poster saying "get over it"....I'm sure the families of the two local students that have it are praying for that result.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:31 PM

323 posts, read 829,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA08 View Post
Well daggonit...guess who was given a blue mask today (after an in office rapid test).

No confirmation of "swine" but I do have a positive for flu a AND b (whatever that means).

My Dr. talked to the state & they advised my whole family to stay in until we get definate results.

We are all having a round of tamiflu. Anyone wanna bring a huge pot of chicken soup (drop & run ;-) ?

Okay, going to lay down now. I hope you all stay healthy! I feel like a piniata AFTER the party.
That's terrible. Hope ya feel better. We had two in our family over the weekend with "flu like" symptoms. They were treated with normal OTC flu meds and came out fine. Good luck.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:47 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is not seasonal flu..this is swine flu a different virus a new one.
About 90 dead in Mexico from this but none anywhere else..that seems to be puzzling the WHO and the CDC. Something to watch and not dismiss as media hype but not something to panic over.
I wonder why this is puzzling to the CDC and WHO? The greater population of Mexico City is close to 25 MILLION people. The health care system in Mexico is not prepared for this kind of pandemic situation. Mexico City sits down in a valley surrounded by mountains, so it's sort of like a soup bowl of pollution and people. VERY unhealthful environment. Health care is not easily accessible to many resident in Mexico City. There have been about 150 cases there with 20 deaths. It makes sense that many Mexico residents stay at home and self treat illnesses and only go to the hospital when it's at a serious level. That seems it would allow the virus to mutate within families and smaller working villages and become a more serious strain than found in the US. Logical?

Here's a link to what's going on in Mexico from NPR. And speaking of schools....ALL schools in Mexico have been shut down until May 6 ...nationwide.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=103545828

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,552,553 times
Has anyone heard or read anywhere about obligations of a doctor to report verified cases of swine flu to the health department or to the school of a student with it or anything like that? One of my daughter's classmates has just told her that she "has the swine flu" and that yes her doctor confirmed it, but that she's missed too much school already so will be back tomorrow. I TOTALLY realize that she could just be blowin' smoke outta her a$$ for attention, but am concerned none the less.

Old 04-27-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Has anyone heard or read anywhere about obligations of a doctor to report verified cases of swine flu to the health department or to the school of a student with it or anything like that? One of my daughter's classmates has just told her that she "has the swine flu" and that yes her doctor confirmed it, but that she's missed too much school already so will be back tomorrow. I TOTALLY realize that she could just be blowin' smoke outta her a$$ for attention, but am concerned none the less.
Call the principal and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio