Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 PM

210 posts, read 427,778 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are going to be in San Antonio middle of next month. We are looking to stay a few days in a hotel near the riverwalk area. Can anyone recommend places to eat,things to see or do that you would say to absolutely NOT miss while in san antonio? We don't have much time and really want to see the best areas and would like to hear from some of you locals the best spots to dine at.

I guess what I would like to know is that if you had 1-2 days in San Antonio what would you do and where would you eat? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:34 AM

948 posts, read 1,841,507 times
Definitely try Rosario's for dinner and Taco Haven for breakfast. I personally like Mexican Manhattan because it's got an old school cafeteria feel, the food is good (IMO) and they now have seating on a balcony facing the river. Casa Rio is supposed to be pretty good and you can't go wrong with Mi Tierra. If Mexican food isn't what you're looking for try Boudro's or Landry's. I don't make it downtown too much so unfortunately my recommendations end there. Check this site out for more information. Live, Work, Shop and Be Entertained in Downtown San Antonio

Old 02-17-2011, 11:32 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,552,356 times
I fully agree on Taco Haven for breakfast, but disagree on all the others. If you only have 2 days worth of meals, go for the best SA has to offer. Depending on your preference and what you can easily getback home (I like to try different places I don't have elsewhere), I'd suggest:

On the River:
Acenar - Mexican but more stylish and a bit of fusion
Biga on the Banks

Downtown - block from the river
Bohanan's - steak house

Southtown - 10-15 minute walk, depending on where you're staying:
Azuca - Nuevo Latino, they also have a bar+ dancing, excellent Mojitos
La Frite - Belgian Bistro
Taco Haven - regular taco joint but with the best tortillas
El Mirador - Mexican (I personally am not a huge fan, but people rave about it)
The Friendly Spot - for an afternoon beer and snack, esp if the weather is nice. They do serve great food too, but I'd got elsewhere for my 1 meal.
Rosario's is in this area too, but I think it leaves a lot to be desired and is just resting on its laurels from the days it was the only place in Southtown

Pearl Brewery area -
Il Sogno - Italian, upscale but not too pricey. Former owner of Le Reve opened this about a year ago. No reservations taken so get there early (or late). I highly recommend the antipasti "buffet". Incredible!

To see:
Alamo & Menger Hotel - downtown, directlyacross from each other. Menger is the longest continuously open hotel west of the Mississippi. Lots of ghost stories and historic info.

Missions - there are 4 in addition to the Alamo. If you're up for biking (can rent from Blue Star at the start of the trail), bike the trail all the way to Espada, along the river. Stop at Friendly Spot on your way back, for a drink.

Spanish Governor's Palace (there is a whole historic walking tour you can do, which includes this, a few of the old churchs, and some other interesting buildings).

Or further afoot - Japanese Tea gardens are worth a visit.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:00 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Go up to the top of the Tower of the Americas for a drink and the view (evenings are best! ), but for God's sake do not eat there!

Have a great stay!

Cheers! M2

Old 02-18-2011, 11:14 PM

210 posts, read 427,778 times
So much thanks for the suggestions. We only have a couple of day and we have already talked about just snacking at all these great places that have been mentioned that way we get to enjoy them all. yes, we are food lovers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio