U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-07-2009, 07:57 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,362,307 times
Reputation: 1785

Advertisements

It's interesting that when the new HEBPlus stores were going up, everyone was praising how wonderful it was to have these gigantic stores with everything in one place.

Now people are actually saying they prefer going to a small grocery where you can actually buy groceries without going through auto parts and furniture?

If that's the new trend, I welcome it! Gladly. Now just bring the store to my neighborhood and I'll be happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2009, 08:26 AM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,697,132 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
BenjaminNicholas andfirstclassflyer, why do you hate so much? You're right, we chose to live in SO so therefore we knew what traffic to expect. We don't complain about your neighborhood, why do you feel the need to complain about ours? Is this MPC envy?
Umm..no. I'm quite sure that both BN (from what I've read)and I have the resources to reside anywhere that we wish. I think BN actually did live in SO if I'm not mistaken...he smartened up and left.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 11:02 AM
 
1,836 posts, read 3,332,946 times
Reputation: 1735
Quote:
Originally Posted by 713 to 210 View Post
BenjaminNicholas andfirstclassflyer, why do you hate so much? You're right, we chose to live in SO so therefore we knew what traffic to expect. We don't complain about your neighborhood, why do you feel the need to complain about ours? Is this MPC envy?
If you think how or what I'm expressing is hate, then you've got to grow a thicker skin mi amigo. It's my OPINION... And like FirstClassFlyer, we're entitled to express it as we see fit.

I rant against Stone Oak because I've lived there and I find everything wrong with suburbia to be wrapped up in that chasm of development: Horrible traffic, ridiculous zoning, overpopulation, cookie-cutter design, bored housewife neighborhood associations, dime-a-dozen Central Mexican luxury lease cars and more stucco than should be humanly allowed. It just all felt so... Prefabricated.

It's not jealousy for me. Living downtown and within King William is a true pleasure, especially after dealing with the SO issues/attitude. I'm not saying it's the best choice for everyone... Just me. It took me nearly 2 years to realize that and I haven't regretted the move for one day since. I'm not wanting to start a Downtown vs Stone Oak war here: I'm just expressing an opinion.



BN




PS: I will say that this is great initial PR for this new organic grocery store... I'm calling Wolff today and asking for a cut of the first quarter profits
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 02:27 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
399 posts, read 1,028,225 times
Reputation: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
If you think how or what I'm expressing is hate, then you've got to grow a thicker skin mi amigo. It's my OPINION... And like FirstClassFlyer, we're entitled to express it as we see fit.

I rant against Stone Oak because I've lived there and I find everything wrong with suburbia to be wrapped up in that chasm of development: Horrible traffic, ridiculous zoning, overpopulation, cookie-cutter design, bored housewife neighborhood associations, dime-a-dozen Central Mexican luxury lease cars and more stucco than should be humanly allowed. It just all felt so... Prefabricated.

It's not jealousy for me. Living downtown and within King William is a true pleasure, especially after dealing with the SO issues/attitude. I'm not saying it's the best choice for everyone... Just me. It took me nearly 2 years to realize that and I haven't regretted the move for one day since. I'm not wanting to start a Downtown vs Stone Oak war here: I'm just expressing an opinion.



BN




PS: I will say that this is great initial PR for this new organic grocery store... I'm calling Wolff today and asking for a cut of the first quarter profits
I understand it's your opinion, I wasn't arguing that you were purporting fact. I'm simply stating that your opinion comes across as rude and "holier than thou" as opposed to objective and beneficial. There are ways to get your point across, yours is a way that shuts people off to your opinion. You might try to tone it down so others see the value in your posts and read with sincere interest.

Of course this is just my opinion, I hope I've stated it politely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 02:30 PM
 
2,237 posts, read 8,017,782 times
Reputation: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
It's interesting that when the new HEBPlus stores were going up, everyone was praising how wonderful it was to have these gigantic stores with everything in one place.
HEB Plus stores are a horrible shopping experience. I swear the selection is actually smaller than at normal HEBs. They just fill the space with large quantities of crap.

Even though there's one 5 minutes away, I prefer to drive 20 minutes to Central Market and stop at Target on the way for non-grocery items.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,359,720 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
Exactly. My trip time will shrink considerably. Remember, while many people don't want to venture INto the Stone Oak area, those of us who live there would often prefer not to venture OUT for the same reason.
Agree... Agree
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,359,720 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmommy View Post
maybe you should get yourself on some planning and zoning committees if your so concerned about it.
BTW, I don't live in SO, I live just north, but I work there and this store is convenient for me.

your constant negativity gets tiresom.
I know, why are they bothered to say something negative if it doesn't impact them at all... they don't live here in SO....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2009, 03:21 PM
 
443 posts, read 1,359,720 times
Reputation: 102
From what I know, businesses open because there is demand, there is demand because there is money, there is money because there are people living, there are people living because its a good/great place... oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2009, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Champions Ridge
62 posts, read 115,231 times
Reputation: 45
I don't know why Stone Oak gets certain people irritated. Traffic surely is a problem, but only at certain hours. I live here and wouldn't call my home cookie-cutter. Perhaps y'all lived in cookie-cutter homes in SO and drove the same luxury style leased-type cars as all 'Mexican Nationals', and then moved on to other areas. Talk about over-generalizations and stereotyping. Love stereotyping. Don't you?
I'm sure: the security of gated communities, closed off streets so children can play without random creeps driving by, knowing that if I get hit by some day-dreamer - the chances of him having car insurance is much better here than most anywhere else in the city, the ability to pick up an item from a store at almost anytime of the night is just a few minutes (literally like 4) away, and most importantly - if ever I need semi-emergency or emergencycare at a hospital - I now have 2, where the wait is not 6 hours and smothered by legions of sick waiting for crap care - is not of interest to you.
I'm not saying it's the cat's meow here but for some folk, it fits the bill just fine.

DC4U

Last edited by DC4u; 08-11-2009 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 11:39 AM
 
Location: Stone Oak
320 posts, read 934,048 times
Reputation: 159
Here's another article on Green Fields Market: Wolffs back in natural food business (http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/local/Wolffs_getting_back_in_food_business_naturally.htm l - broken link)
This place was long overdue for a local grocery store and getting one with organic products is a nice bonus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:38 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top