U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 05-03-2009, 12:28 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,246,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Please! I've had my home broken into on several occasions, had my car stolen once. The person who stole my car also stole my kids' Christmas gifts I had stashed in the trunk. Was I angry? HELL YES! At the person/people who stole my crap, not at anyone for not calling the cops.

Again, where do you see that I won't help anyone out? Did you or did you not comprehend when I said I will do my part, if I see or know of someone who has been physically assaulted? The stupid ones are the ones who put themselves on the line for material things.

Hmmm...well, being that I don't own a weapon of any sort, I'm not prepared for someone's retaliation. So, who's going to protect me in that event? You? The police? Puh-leeze!

You go right ahead, buddy. Have at it. Maybe someday you'll be hero for the day or a listing in the obits for your efforts.

I'm done with you.
Please .. dont be mad at me because I called you out... I know one thing.. I sure in heck wouldnt want you for my neighbor.. that is what the problem with this world is today.. everyone stays in their safe cacoon and doesnt worry about what is going on around them.

Be proactive and make it safe for everyone in this world.. not just you.. Heaven already knows we got enough dumb jerks out there trying to take from us.. the times have come where SAPD no longer helps us out.. its time to pretty much take the criminals out on our own. We need to help make sure we as people are safe..

Call it what you want.. but thats the way it is..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-04-2009, 08:53 AM

52 posts, read 113,814 times
“Mr. HisLilSecret, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a reasonable thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

Seriously though… your kind of thinking is what plagues our society today and turning a blind eye to any matter of criminal activity is just as bad as committing the offense yourself. No neighborhood starts off bad or “ghetto”… It only becomes that way when the neighbors stop standing up for their community (read: each other) and let the thugs take over. Even if I didn’t like my neighbor (and I don’t) I would still AT THE VERY LEAST call the SAPD to the rescue…

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Think about that.

I grew up in a fairly bad neighborhood too… my street and the street directly behind us and in front of us were the nicest streets in the neighborhood because my father and the men like him wouldn’t stand for anything like you mentioned and looked out for one another.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:10 AM

452 posts, read 594,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allahjandro View Post
“Mr. HisLilSecret, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a reasonable thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.”

I'm not looking for YOU to award me anything. As for God, let Him deal with me and I'll let Him deal with you.

Quote:
Seriously though… your kind of thinking is what plagues our society today and turning a blind eye to any matter of criminal activity is just as bad as committing the offense yourself. No neighborhood starts off bad or “ghetto”… It only becomes that way when the neighbors stop standing up for their community (read: each other) and let the thugs take over. Even if I didn’t like my neighbor (and I don’t) I would still AT THE VERY LEAST call the SAPD to the rescue…
Quote:

“All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” Think about that.

I grew up in a fairly bad neighborhood too… my street and the street directly behind us and in front of us were the nicest streets in the neighborhood because my father and the men like him wouldn’t stand for anything like you mentioned and looked out for one another.
As for the rest of your rant...yeah, yeah, yeah....call someone who cares. I'm done with you, too.

Unread 05-04-2009, 11:56 AM

1,848 posts, read 2,803,495 times
I think there are some social, cultural, heritage, economic, zip code differences going on here...

If I see anything strange going on in either of the houses next to me or the one directly in front, I call the owner and ask them if they are aware of the situation (IE someone is trying to get into your fence, loitering at your front door, peering in the window of you car)

Usually, it is the landscaper, plumber or windshield repair man respectively.

We had our mailbox bashed last year...the first thing I did was write our HOA president and our neighbor fixed the mailbox for us including the welding and painting. Well, later that day the homeowner across the street came by with fresh cookies - she had backed into the mailbox the night before.

BUT, of course the first thing I did was alert the HOA that there may be some vandalism going on in the area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Snitchin'

Last edited by cr1039; 05-04-2009 at 12:03 PM.. Reason: added website

Unread 05-04-2009, 02:10 PM

52 posts, read 113,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
[/font][/color]

I'm not looking for YOU to award me anything. As for God, let Him deal with me and I'll let Him deal with you.

[color=black][font=Times New Roman]

As for the rest of your rant...yeah, yeah, yeah....call someone who cares. I'm done with you, too.
Just so you know, that was a quote from the movie Billy Madison... I wasn't actually trying to award you any points! LOL!

Unread 05-04-2009, 06:20 PM

234 posts, read 360,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
have a subject for a forum that we have been kicking around the office today because one of our clients had this very situation.

Would you call the police if you knew your neighbor was doing something illegal such as: Selling drugs, stolen property, a teen was doing graffiti, or if he or she was part of a gang. Anything that makes good standing neighbors nervous.

This guy, in this situation was selling drugs and she turned the guy in and the cops arrested the loser. However, her friends, and neighbors are not pissed off at the woman because they feel she is a “snitch”.

I know this is not just a San Antonio thing, but it is a problem in San Antonio and would like to see people discuss it, in an attempt to maybe change someone’s mind who is scared to turn in illegal activity to do so.
I called the cops once when I suspected my neighbors were selling drugs (people would drive up and down the street all day, go knock on these college kids' door, be there for less than a minute and leave). Nothing ever happened (the kids finally moved out of that house).

I also called 911 three times when one of my neighbors got into a fight with another neighbor. He tore off his shirt, bashed the guy's outside wall with his fist, threatened to beat the living daylights out of the neighbor. A cop didn't show up for another hour, and when he did and knocked on the neighbors' door and no one answered, he just left. In spite of the fact that there were 4 cars parked in the driveway.

So yes, I've reported suspicous activity, but nothing ever came of it. I was disappointed. When I lived in Austin and Plano, we got a very quick response time to calls and the cops would stay around until the issue was resolved.

Unread 05-04-2009, 06:34 PM

2,161 posts, read 4,246,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasero View Post
I called the cops once when I suspected my neighbors were selling drugs (people would drive up and down the street all day, go knock on these college kids' door, be there for less than a minute and leave). Nothing ever happened (the kids finally moved out of that house).

I also called 911 three times when one of my neighbors got into a fight with another neighbor. He tore off his shirt, bashed the guy's outside wall with his fist, threatened to beat the living daylights out of the neighbor. A cop didn't show up for another hour, and when he did and knocked on the neighbors' door and no one answered, he just left. In spite of the fact that there were 4 cars parked in the driveway.

So yes, I've reported suspicous activity, but nothing ever came of it. I was disappointed. When I lived in Austin and Plano, we got a very quick response time to calls and the cops would stay around until the issue was resolved.
Yes, I understand your frustration in the timely response from of our finest.. or should I say lack of timely response... that is why I state that we, as individuals, have to take a lot more matters into our own hands.. as our police cant really help us out at all...

They are too busy giving you a traffic ticket for driving on the left lane on the highway (yeap, I agree with ya there.. they could be doing better things then giving you a ticket for driving in the left lane.. but heck.. what a better way to fatten the city cofers?).. or better yet.. they are too busy parked at the local elementary school for 3 hours talking to each other...

Unread 05-05-2009, 05:06 PM

83 posts, read 161,973 times
i just don't understand how some of y'all have enough time to find out and know every detail about your neighbors life? I consider my self to be close to my neighbors but i couldn't tell you how many visitors they get each day. Am i a bad neighbor for that should i watch them more? I understand reporting on things such as a fight and things that you are actually witnessing. IMO Once someone is using extra time to "investigate" on their neighbors i think they have taken things a bit too far. Now i hope nobody goes Watchmen all over us!!

Unread 05-05-2009, 06:17 PM

1,848 posts, read 2,803,495 times
eh, I appreciate the effort, as do the neighbors, we often have all of the front windows open and our street is also pretty active.

Once a lady drove slowly in front of our neighbors a few times. They had been gardening and had some supplies in the yard. I suppose the woman thought she was free to help herself and began to rummage through the items. Because our windows were open and I was aware of what was going on I was able to let the woman know that the items were not near the curb for open call but in fact being used.

It doesn't hurt anyone to pay attention to the neighborhood around you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio