Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 01:21 PM

452 posts, read 1,028,162 times

Advertisements

Being a snitch is akin to be a tattletale. I don't like being one and never will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 PM

107 posts, read 238,837 times
I see it differnt. Tattletale is something kids are. Children in fact and we teach them to have respect for others. For example: a parent does not want their son tattleing on their daughter for every little thing. Or if somebody is ditching school, you would not want your kid telling on another student.

But....we are not talking about crimes in serous crime that hurts other people way.

People who complain about snitches are people who are up to no good and want to the culture to stay that way.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Complacency and apathy are not options if you want a livable neighborhood. Ignoring illegal activity is basically condoning it. The reasons neighborhoods go downhill is that good people let the bad guys take over. At the first sign of a bad guy, they look for another neighborhood and run for the hills instead of bonding with others to fight for their turf. There is strength in numbers.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
I see it differnt. Tattletale is something kids are. Children in fact and we teach them to have respect for others. For example: a parent does not want their son tattleing on their daughter for every little thing. Or if somebody is ditching school, you would not want your kid telling on another student.

Why not? It's against the law to ditch school and the person doing it is probably up to no good or might get hurt. Same thing.

Quote:
But....we are not talking about crimes in serous crime that hurts other people way.

People who complain about snitches are people who are up to no good and want to the culture to stay that way.
Hmmm...I'll tell my dad you said that. From the time we were very young, my siblings and I were told NOT to be snitches and to mind our own business, otherwise, we could end up getting ourselves into hot water. You don't know how badly I wished I had listened to him during the above-mentioned incident. I had to look over my shoulder for weeks!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:41 PM

107 posts, read 238,837 times
IMO your dad was wrong and that is part of the problem. As cobalt wrote, there are power in numbers and it is a matter of right and wrong. Good and Bad.

You should want the best for your family, friends, children and that includes not having to deal with thugs and losers. People who say to theirself "It's not my problem so why should I get involved" are cowards.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
IMO your dad was wrong and that is part of the problem. As cobalt wrote, there are power in numbers and it is a matter of right and wrong. Good and Bad.

You should want the best for your family, friends, children and that includes not having to deal with thugs and losers. People who say to theirself "It's not my problem so why should I get involved" are cowards.
Yep...your opinion and you know what they say about opinions...

Old 04-28-2009, 02:14 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
I can understand the apprehension of someone not wanting to get involved because it can create problems later on especially if you got kids. "Real" thugs don't play around - if they find out someone has snitched there is a high probability that there will be hell to pay. I worry about my kids and my family, but it doesn't deter me from selling some fool out who wants to chop up trucks in his garage or be the resident dope house, because I feel in the long run that will do more damage to my children. My kids deserve to feel safe in their own backyard and I am going to make sure they are by any means necessary.

But I dont think not selling someone out necessarily means you are up to no good or you are a coward - No thug is worth getting shot over.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:15 PM

162 posts, read 705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Being a snitch is akin to be a tattletale. I don't like being one and never will.
Technically, the definition of a "tattletale" is whining about trivial complaints. If someone is breaking the law and damaging property, that's not something small. I'd hope that if someone recognized a person damaging MY property that they'd speak up. Wouldn't you?

Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 PM

317 posts, read 1,751,227 times
A few years ago, one of our neighbors shot a gun through our daughter's bedroom wall, almost killing my mother in law. Turned out they were heavy crack users/dealers. We never knew, but after the shooting, a couple of our neighbors said they knew the people were heavily into drugs/crime. The man living there was wanted for parole violations. Lucky for us, no one was hurt. But, it made our lives hell for quite some time afterward. It was quite traumatic> It was a big disappointment to know our neighbors weren't more concerned for everyone's safety to alert the police to a possibly dangerous situation.

Now, I'll call the police anytime I see something suspicious. You can always find a way to remain anonymous. I won't be reckless and publicly announce that I called, or even talk/gossip about it with my neighbors. Call me a snitch- I want my family to be safe.

Old 04-28-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalallenMom View Post
Technically, the definition of a "tattletale" is whining about trivial complaints. If someone is breaking the law and damaging property, that's not something small. I'd hope that if someone recognized a person damaging MY property that they'd speak up. Wouldn't you?
Technically, you're right. But, where does tattling become snitching? Is calling Code Compliance on your neighbor tattling or snitching? I'm not at all comfortable with participating in either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio