Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 08:50 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times

Advertisements

Just found out she is 3 weeks pregnant...we are staying at a hotel on the Riverwalk for 4 nights. My entire family is urging me not to go since San Antonio has confirmed cases and there are many Mexicans there and the fact that she is pregnant. What do you all think ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 08:53 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
No reason to worry or cancel your trip, but if it's going to put a damper on your enjoyment, then cancel it. You have more of a chance of getting killed in a jet flying there.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM

2,982 posts, read 9,835,373 times
San Antonio is not a problem, no more than Florida. There are Cubans in Florida, maybe you better leave now.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,710,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
San Antonio is not a problem, no more than Florida. There are Cubans in Florida, maybe you better leave now.
There are no cases in Cuba. Even Cuba has suspended flights from Mexico. http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...flucuba28.html

I agree that his concerns are rather unnecessary, however, keep in mind we have federal embassies warning against travel into and out of Mexico as a result of the virus. San Antonio is not too far from Mexico. Heck, a baby from Brownsville died with the first case reported in Texas.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:55 AM

2,517 posts, read 11,051,442 times
I guess I will just keep close tabs on it. Like I said, if she was not pregnant, I could give 3 flying pigs....if we get sick, we get some Tamiflu and get better. But she is pregnant, so it changes everything. Gonna keep my eyes very close on this one.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:21 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,366,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
I guess I will just keep close tabs on it. Like I said, if she was not pregnant, I could give 3 flying pigs....if we get sick, we get some Tamiflu and get better. But she is pregnant, so it changes everything. Gonna keep my eyes very close on this one.
I think I would be more concerned about being on a crowded airplane than walking along the River Walk in San Antonio.

Keep in mind, the virus is only contracted by exchanging body fluids...ie kissing, sharing food, coughing or sneezing in someones face etc. It cannot survive on its own. Washing hands, avoiding handshakes, using hand sanitizer etc are all good precautions.

Any facility that is closing is to prevent the virus from being spread among people that are in rather confined areas. All the media images of sterilizing desks at schools, and computer keyboards, and mopping floors is to ease community concerns...it's really not necessary. It probably needed a good cleaning anyway!

Just keeping students or employees apart for the five day incubation period is the best preventative.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:22 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
I agree that it's not worth cancelling today.

Airlines are allowing people to postpone/reschedule trips due to the flu. There are probably deadlines and time windows associated with cancelling any travel reservation. I'd recommend you check with both your hotel and airline to see what your deadlines are to reschedule if you decide not to travel. That'll let you know how much longer you can wait to make the decision.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM

893 posts, read 1,579,951 times
go enjoy yourselves

Old 04-29-2009, 09:28 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,029,649 times
What does her doc say? I'd listen to him above all. He should have her and the baby's health as his top concern.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:33 AM

993 posts, read 2,490,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heydade View Post
Just found out she is 3 weeks pregnant...we are staying at a hotel on the Riverwalk for 4 nights. My entire family is urging me not to go since San Antonio has confirmed cases and there are many Mexicans there and the fact that she is pregnant. What do you all think ?
Your wife watches too much Katie Couric(she looked good last night wearing white). No, but seriously, it is fine here, just do what you usually do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio