U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 01:27 PM

14,613 posts, read 31,140,476 times

Advertisements

Yes, that was definitely Katrina.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 01:36 PM

2,260 posts, read 4,939,890 times
That chart is depressing. So was the article in the paper. I'm having a little mini-freakout about my husband not being able to find a job since he was laid off in February. And then I realized that he's halfway through his first six months of unemployment and what if they don't re-up it? Then we'll end living in a box. Or worse, with his parents.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:42 PM

22 posts, read 38,430 times
LindaGrace,

I agree, that this news is depressing. I was looking at jobs available in SA to help me make my decision to see if I should move down there and then look for a job. I just found about 10 that I fully qualify for. However, just as I felt better, than this post kind of make my heart sank. I just thought that if I move down and then look for a job, then it is easier instead of having to schedule time off work and also keep paying for airfare to fly down for interview. I know exactly how you feel.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX09 View Post
LindaGrace,

I agree, that this news is depressing. I was looking at jobs available in SA to help me make my decision to see if I should move down there and then look for a job. I just found about 10 that I fully qualify for. However, just as I felt better, than this post kind of make my heart sank. I just thought that if I move down and then look for a job, then it is easier instead of having to schedule time off work and also keep paying for airfare to fly down for interview. I know exactly how you feel.
I'm not usually Debbie Downer. At all. My friends call me Pollyanna because I always see the bright side. That being said, I'm going to be a Debbie Downer for a moment. I SWEAR companies are just posting job ads here to see the kind of responses they'll get. My husband has applied for dozens of jobs for which is he absolutely, 100% qualified. He never gets the interview (we've had his resume looked at by two separate firms who do that sort of thing, so we know it's in good shape).

For example, he applied for a job at Time Warner; the same day he saw an article where they were laying off like 200 people.

Good luck on your job search SATX09. I do wish you the best...unless you're looking for a job in HR and/or contracts administration. Then I hope my husband gets the job first.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:17 PM

22 posts, read 38,430 times
No, I would be looking for a job in accounting, so no problem there I am exactly like you. I usually sees the glass as half full too, just that lately news have been very depressing. I also hope what you said about the company isn't true though. I will be visiting my bf in SA during memorial weekend so I hope to see more of SA soon. Good luck with your husband's job search.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX09 View Post
No, I would be looking for a job in accounting, so no problem there I am exactly like you. I usually sees the glass as half full too, just that lately news have been very depressing. I also hope what you said about the company isn't true though. I will be visiting my bf in SA during memorial weekend so I hope to see more of SA soon. Good luck with your husband's job search.
How fun! Enjoy your visit. Pack cool clothes!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:32 PM

2,330 posts, read 6,258,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I'm not usually Debbie Downer. At all. My friends call me Pollyanna because I always see the bright side. That being said, I'm going to be a Debbie Downer for a moment. I SWEAR companies are just posting job ads here to see the kind of responses they'll get. My husband has applied for dozens of jobs for which is he absolutely, 100% qualified. He never gets the interview (we've had his resume looked at by two separate firms who do that sort of thing, so we know it's in good shape).

For example, he applied for a job at Time Warner; the same day he saw an article where they were laying off like 200 people.

Good luck on your job search SATX09. I do wish you the best...unless you're looking for a job in HR and/or contracts administration. Then I hope my husband gets the job first.
Sorry to hear about your job woes (or your husbands), hopefully things will turn around for you.. But my fear is that things will get worse before they get better.. but sooner or later things will turn..

Sometimes I feel like selling everything and living on the beach.. go to the corner of IH35 and somewhere and panhandle my days meals and go back to the beach and chill...

Old 05-03-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man in SATX View Post
Sorry to hear about your job woes (or your husbands), hopefully things will turn around for you.. But my fear is that things will get worse before they get better.. but sooner or later things will turn..

Sometimes I feel like selling everything and living on the beach.. go to the corner of IH35 and somewhere and panhandle my days meals and go back to the beach and chill...
Thank you. I really do have faith that he'll find something eventually - like you said, things will turn. This can't last forever.

We didn't get into this mess instantaneously so there's no reason to think we'll get out of it instantaneously. But eventually it'll get better. We just have to hang on until then.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:45 PM

5,633 posts, read 13,942,525 times
I follow a guy (for investment reasons) named Mark Doutzer, Chief Economist for Texas A&M that goes around the country presenting people the facts. His job is not to predict things, just tell things as it is where people like it or not. Here are some more charts that may be of interest. There's some good info to get from it, including ideas on what kind of stable employment to look for now and into the future.
Attached Thumbnails
San Antonio Employment Chart - April 2009-construction.gif   San Antonio Employment Chart - April 2009-financial.gif   San Antonio Employment Chart - April 2009-growth.gif   San Antonio Employment Chart - April 2009-hosp.gif   San Antonio Employment Chart - April 2009-rate.gif  

Old 05-03-2009, 08:49 PM

3,823 posts, read 13,347,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
If you want to feel better about San Antonio's job situation vs. other cities, check out this job gain/loss timeline plotted on a national map since 2004.

The Geography of Jobs - TIP Strategies
As you slide the time line from 2004 to 2009, do you see the correlation with posters on CD coming to San Antonio and Texas from the areas with LARGE red circles?

BTW: Automotive-associated manufacturing is also down in San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or