Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 11:31 AM

437 posts, read 638,763 times

Advertisements

I don't think you're giving yourself a fair view of San Antonio. I hope you continue to do well and take care of your mother, but San Antonio has its rough spots just like Chicago.

I'm a 26yr hispanic male myself doing well so far. There is much more S.A. has to offer now than when you were a kid. Schools and sports continue to develop here, UTSA continues to grow as well as getting their own football team, and the roads and highway system continue to get better. S.A. is one of the fastest growing cities for a reason.

I don't plan to stay here forever. I plan to move up north one day, maybe even to Chicago, but it has nothing to do with S.A. being runned down because that is simply not true. Sorry if it happened in the area your mother lives in. I hope that area is addressed by the city some day, but don't extrapolate that part of the area to all of San Antonio. It's not the best city for the young crowd in my opinion, but still there are a LOT of nice areas here for young people like you and me.

Last edited by Shock; 05-05-2009 at 11:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 11:42 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
I really can do my job from anywhere and at first, I thought I might take a chance at San Antonio for the long run, but changed my mind when I got here. I am only 24 and have been very blessed in my life and make a great amount of money.
At your age, people look at things differently than people in their 30s-40s that have kids.
Have you gone to Austin, I would think that you would like it.

Older people see run down places more as "opportunities" or "good deals"
while younger people want things to look new, pretty, etc. to feel good.

I haven't been in SA for very long,
but I have travelled a lot and I believe that the people to blame when you see areas of the city "run down" is the local government.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:48 AM

50 posts, read 90,854 times
I understand. At my point in my life, I can't see myself ever wanting to have children. I enjoy my life way too much and love to be able to Fly off to anywhere I want. I have been around the world and I want to live that type of lifestyle. I have great friends who are simuliar in this this way too.

I like my high rise apartment in Chicago and like the class of people around me. I believe that people my age 21-29 live where they want to or work hard to obtain the lifestyle they want. I feel really bad when I walk into Wal-Mart and see kids my age wearing those awful blue outfits. But that is life and not everyone can have things right now. I just hope they get the chance and want more in the future.

Old 05-05-2009, 11:55 AM

21~29 is most certainly different here. All of the women here in that group are either already married/divorced and/or already have kids. That is one of the reasons I plan to move away when I'm ready to settle. But you don't have to go far for that really; Austin is way different in that aspect of age groups.

But just realize that Chicago has nice spots but rough spots also. In fact, on CNN they just had a story on Chicago kids being killed by gang members.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:05 PM

452 posts, read 1,027,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shock View Post
21~29 is most certainly different here. All of the women here in that group are either already married/divorced and/or already have kids. That is one of the reasons I plan to move away when I'm ready to settle. But you don't have to go far for that really; Austin is way different in that aspect of age groups.

But just realize that Chicago has nice spots but rough spots also. In fact, on CNN they just had a story on Chicago kids being killed by gang members.
Ok, there are many in that age group who have kids, etc., both men and women. But, ALL is a bit of a stretch. My 22 year old niece (as well as most of her friends) has never been married nor does she have any kids.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,616,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
Ok, there are many in that age group who have kids, etc., both men and women. But, ALL is a bit of a stretch. My 22 year old niece (as well as most of her friends) has never been married nor does she have any kids.
Young parenthood is MUCH more common here than it is in the rest of the country, though. It does seem like about half the high schoolers/college age crowd you meet have kids. I know the number CAN'T be that high, but it's not like it's uncommon. And it IS hard to be single in this town, regardless of your age.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:15 PM

50 posts, read 90,854 times
I have friends who graduated from Northwestern that are now officers in the Army that can not believe how many milatary kids under the age of 21 are married and have kids. Maybe that is why there are so many in San Antonio? Just a guess.

Most of the people I know want to get an education, live life and have experiences. Woman in their 20's work hard to get educated, keep there bodies tight and are becoming "masters of the universe" just like men.

Good for the 22 year old that thinks that way and wants to make her way in the world knowing that more than likely, there is more to life and the world than their high school boyfriends and their teenage type of life.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:16 PM

604 posts, read 1,530,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
I understand. At my point in my life, I can't see myself ever wanting to have children. I enjoy my life way too much and love to be able to Fly off to anywhere I want. I have been around the world and I want to live that type of lifestyle. I have great friends who are simuliar in this this way too.

I like my high rise apartment in Chicago and like the class of people around me. I believe that people my age 21-29 live where they want to or work hard to obtain the lifestyle they want. I feel really bad when I walk into Wal-Mart and see kids my age wearing those awful blue outfits. But that is life and not everyone can have things right now. I just hope they get the chance and want more in the future.
Maybe you were called here for another reason than to take care of your mother...with your position/financial blessings- you should be a role model for those young kids who may want more in their future,but dont know how to break out of the cycle of life. It sounds like this is something that has touched your heart-maybe this is your calling.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLilSecret View Post
sounds like I should meet your niece? I'm kidding.
I didn't mean all in a literal sense, but the majority is definitely true around here, especially the kids. I love kids but I just don't have the preference of raising one that is not mine.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:53 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholasa101 View Post
Maybe you were called here for another reason than to take care of your mother...with your position/financial blessings- you should be a role model for those young kids who may want more in their future,but dont know how to break out of the cycle of life. It sounds like this is something that has touched your heart-maybe this is your calling.
I agree with you! Sometimes life wants another path for the OP.
I was supposed to be in the computer field but no one was biting so I fell into the non profit field and enjoy it immensely. I do admin work for a program that is now at my HS alma mater. The kids are able to relate to my experience, which is the biggest selling point of our program. All staff have some kind of roots somewhere in the program.
Mentors like the OP are needed and always looking for them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio