Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:05 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMP View Post
I am not sure what the problem is, but I just heard on the news that Teen Pregancy is down in San Antoinio but is STILL 75% higher than the National Average.

WOW!!!!!! How does this happen?
Um, sex?

Seriously, though, I think there is something in the salsa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:08 AM

107 posts, read 238,795 times
Something that makes the kids turn to stupid.
It is not like kids are not having sex in other cities? It can't be that they are just smarter. There has to be something else to it.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:24 AM

3,111 posts, read 9,205,361 times
Maybe Bristol Palin needs to come to SA .
NYC Teens Chide Palin's Abstinence Call - ABC News

Old 05-07-2009, 08:26 AM

Maybe a lot of things. 75% and that is down!!!!!!!!!!
I know some friends I have met here in the last month makes jokes about 30 year old grandmothers, but now I am starting to think it might be true.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:44 AM

I don't know the solution. I have two teenage daughters, I talk to them about it ALL the time. My youngest one (13) gets embarassed but I don't care. I know that I can probably talk until I am blue in the face, but if only one little inkling sinks in I will be happy.
God and I have become very close since my kids have becomes teens .

I have good kids, I know their friends, they are involved in everything I can get them in, both are straight A honor students. But in the long run they are still teenagers and I never forget that. No rose colored glasses here.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times
It is true. I know a couple 32 - 33 year old grandparents personally.

I think the high rate of teen pregnancy has a lot to do with San Antonio being heavily Catholic. Also, I know in my own family, when one of the girls gets pregnant, there's a lot of screeching and yelling and "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS???" but then when the baby comes, it's all ok, because, "Ohhhh, the BABY!"

Also in my own family, sex education does not start at home. When a kid mentions kissing everyone just starts screaming at the kid rather than sitting them down to discuss what's going on.

Screaming at a teenager's head is NOT sex education, people. I was NOT brought up that way. My parents started with the sex ed when I was about five and kept educating until I got out of college!

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
It is true. I know a couple 32 - 33 year old grandparents personally.

I think the high rate of teen pregnancy has a lot to do with San Antonio being heavily Catholic. Also, I know in my own family, when one of the girls gets pregnant, there's a lot of screeching and yelling and "HOW COULD YOU DO THIS???" but then when the baby comes, it's all ok, because, "Ohhhh, the BABY!"

Also in my own family, sex education does not start at home. When a kid mentions kissing everyone just starts screaming at the kid rather than sitting them down to discuss what's going on.

Screaming at a teenager's head is NOT sex education, people. I was NOT brought up that way. My parents started with the sex ed when I was about five and kept educating until I got out of college!
Very true!! I see this too. You are right, screaming does nothing. I think it even makes it worse and then they rebel on you.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:24 AM

I grew up in the north east in a strict cathlic household. Most of my friends did also, and the truth is today, most of us are either agnostic or athiest. All that guilt and roman cathlic bull about sex and sin is really just a bunch of bull and I am sorry. That is just what I think. It causes more problems than its worth.

Oh..just to be clear. I am not putting down faith and whorship. It is just not for me. I am just putting down the "guilt and sex thing"

Old 05-07-2009, 09:37 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Let's stick to the topic in the original post. Help the OP find areas of the city that will meet his needs.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:33 PM

142 posts, read 338,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
I really can do my job from anywhere and at first, I thought I might take a chance at San Antonio for the long run, but changed my mind when I got here. I am only 24 and have been very blessed in my life and make a great amount of money. My father, who was also born in San Antonio and will never return, works for the NFL and said that many of the people he knows that come here to scout the possiblities of a team down here, are turned off by the atmosphere.

I came with an open mind, but I feel so out of place. I am proud of my hispanic culture, but what I see here, is the worst of it. Like the bad areas in Chicago that give us a bad reputation.
Look around, Garvey. There's plenty of beauty to see here if you will just look. Every city has its good areas and bad areas. If you want to feel depressed, live in a bad area. If you want to feel uplifted and can afford it, live in a good area where there is beauty all around you. If you came here with a preconceived idea that it was going to be bad, then chances are you will be predisposed to it, but if not, you can really enjoy life here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio