Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 03:34 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
Okay well its a Hottest Latina contest in Conexion magazine which is a Spanish-English publication aimed at Latinos, I dont see what the problem is?
That is true but it's being highly publicized on MYSA.com, aka the San Antonio Express News site and the local news (KABB). It's one thing to conceal/restrict something like this on an all Spanish publication but to have it on the Express News site and on KABB is what doesn't make sense, espcially since there is no other "Hottest" compition other than this one put on by the Express (which owns Conexion). No Hottest Causcasions or Hottest African Americans, nothing. Just hottest latina. That's the segragationist pandering to a majority that eeks me to no end. Either have "hottest" comps for other ethnicities as well or stop pandering to the majority and just have a Hottest San Antonian comp.

The Express News, again who is behind this, panders to the Hispanic/Latin community like no bodies business. Just look at their main site, it has 3 or 4 sub sites dedicated just to that segment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 03:41 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temptation001 View Post
These women might not be gorgeous, but just because they are single moms doesn't make them "ghetto trash".
Pretty sure he was just calling his sister that.

Quote:
And just because San Antonio wants to host a latino event doesn't mean that anybody is excluding any other race from attending. In fact, when other races join in, there is more pride in our events.
How is any other race going to get in ona Hottest Latina competition?

Old 05-07-2009, 03:49 PM

452 posts, read 1,027,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
That is true but it's being highly publicized on MYSA.com, aka the San Antonio Express News site and the local news (KABB). It's one thing to conceal/restrict something like this on an all Spanish publication but to have it on the Express News site and on KABB is what doesn't make sense, espcially since there is no other "Hottest" compition other than this one put on by the Express (which owns Conexion). No Hottest Causcasions or Hottest African Americans, nothing. Just hottest latina. That's the segragationist pandering to a majority that eeks me to no end. Either have "hottest" comps for other ethnicities as well or stop pandering to the majority and just have a Hottest San Antonian comp.

The Express News, again who is behind this, panders to the Hispanic/Latin community like no bodies business. Just look at their main site, it has 3 or 4 sub sites dedicated just to that segment.
Maybe because Latinos make up the majority of the population? I don't understand what the problem is. If other ethnicities want to have "hottest" whatever contest, they should go ahead. And, btw...Latinos are considered caucasian.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:10 PM

18,270 posts, read 14,423,256 times
Quote:

How is a woman going to get in on a "hottest man" competition?

How is a woman going to get into a "dog show"?

How is a white woman going to get into a "hottest black person" competition?

There is no way. Because the competition is for latinos here. Is that segregationist? No, its just an event like the ones I just mentioned. Do you feel bad when women can't join a dog show and win it? Why do you feel so bad about a latino competition.

And as an audience member you are more than welcome. latinos love it when other groups go to their shows. LOVE IT. And I'm sure that if those other groups want to host an event of their own, they are more that welcome to. And if they don't then they won't .

Old 05-07-2009, 04:25 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,819,506 times
When push comes to shove (and it often does), people always want it both ways: We want to extreme soft-glove treatment within our self-created sub-group, but then will immediately talk about equal rights for everyone the second something outwardly discriminatory happens. It's that strange mix of wanting the best for yourself, but knowing that without some sense of PCisim you'll be looked at as a jackass. God forbid you're a social pariah.

The moment we stop ghettoizing and trying to 'be special' within the world by making everything about singularity, that's when things will change and people will just get along on a very base level. I'm not idealistic enough to think that's ever going to happen in my lifetime, but it's a nice thought.

I liken this whole discussion to what was said in one of my favorite movies, The Muppets Take Manhattan... 'People is People.'

Ain't that the truth

BN

Old 05-07-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
When push comes to shove (and it often does), people always want it both ways: We want to extreme soft-glove treatment within our self-created sub-group, but then will immediately talk about equal rights for everyone the second something outwardly discriminatory happens. It's that strange mix of wanting the best for yourself, but knowing that without some sense of PCisim you'll be looked at as a jackass. God forbid you're a social pariah.

The moment we stop ghettoizing and trying to 'be special' within the world by making everything about singularity, that's when things will change and people will just get along on a very base level. I'm not idealistic enough to think that's ever going to happen in my lifetime, but it's a nice thought.

I liken this whole discussion to what was said in one of my favorite movies, The Muppets Take Manhattan... 'People is People.'

Ain't that the truth

BN

Everyone should have equal rights. Having a competition such as this is supposed to be fun, not discriminatory. Like having a wet t-shirt contest, you cant win unless you have a wet t-shirt. Its not meant to distance people, its supposed to just be fun. Why do you and others want to take this away from us?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Everyone should have equal rights. Having a competition such as this is supposed to be fun, not discriminatory. Like having a wet t-shirt contest, you cant win unless you have a wet t-shirt. Its not meant to distance people, its supposed to just be fun. Why do you and others want to take this away from us?
You're not getting 'our' point. I'm making a general statement on the psyche of people. You're taking this personally, which is exactly what you should not be doing... If you get angry, then the good part of the conversation ends.

I'm making statements about how people think: To compare something this complex to a wet t-shirt contest is missing the mark, IMO, by a mile. You say that everyone should have equal rights, but in this case, it's about not segregating TO BEGIN WITH. That's my issue. Stop it before it even becomes an issue.

It may not offend you, but that doesn't mean it won't offend others. What is fun to you might not be for someone else. Always keep that in mind.

BN

Old 05-07-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
You're not getting 'our' point. I'm making a general statement on the psyche of people. You're taking this personally, which is exactly what you should not be doing... If you get angry, then the good part of the conversation ends.

I'm making statements about how people think: To compare something this complex to a wet t-shirt contest is missing the mark, IMO, by a mile. You say that everyone should have equal rights, but in this case, it's about not segregating TO BEGIN WITH. That's my issue. Stop it before it even becomes an issue.

It may not offend you, but that doesn't mean it won't offend others. What is fun to you might not be for someone else. Always keep that in mind.

BN

I'm far from angry. I will ask you this: why do you feel offended?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:51 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
Quote:
I'll take care of this one,
It's impossible for anybody to know whether or not those girls are latinas.

A few latinas that don't look latina:
Cameron Diaz (http://www.californiarumor.com/files/images/import/cameron-diaz.jpg - broken link)
Tatyana Ali (from Fresh Prince)
Catherine Bach (original Daisy Dukes)
Lynda Carter (Wonder woman)
Nicole Richie
Fergie (Black Eyed Peas)

Even Charlie Sheen (Carlos Irwin Estevez) is hispanic

and here's my favorite one ... my aunt's classmate in Venezuela
Carl Herrera (ex-Spurs)

Old 05-07-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
I'm far from angry. I will ask you this: why do you feel offended?
I don't. Frankly, I'm not one to easily get offended anyway

What I'm talking about is human nature in general: How ironic it is that the moment someone decides to hold a public 'Hottest White Guy' contest, there's some group who rants that it's wrong and prejudiced. We're a society that wants to have things both ways on a continual basis, which is impossible, but amusing if you're not easily angered. I often enjoy sitting back, watching people argue and find that in the heat of such an incident, people's true colors tend to bleed down quite a bit.

The solution? I think someone already said it on this thread: The Hottest Guy/Gal in SA contest. Why break it down into a specific heritage group? It does nothing but segregate the ideals of community as a whole.

We may agree to disagree on this one. I can only respond with the same ol' shtick so many times before I need a gin and tonic.

BN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio