Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:13 PM

244 posts, read 1,091,060 times

Advertisements

I have to admit, San Antonio has got to be one of the nicest, most multicultural cities I have ever lived in, minus the racial unrest of some of America's other large cities. However, I have heard from a number of San Antonio historians that there have been major issues between whites and Hispanics, which over time resolved themselves.

Can anyone validate this? Because I have not seen such issues as of late. In fact, even the northside is highly diverse.

So the question is, did San Antonio in fact have racial issues in the past? Or have race relations never been an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 01:21 PM

11,574 posts, read 13,907,689 times
I've been here since 87' and things seem the same today as they were back then. No real issues that I can see.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:29 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,838,611 times
I've been here about 20 years and have always felt that SA has the least amount of racial tension of any big city I lived in.
I have heard from natives (Anglos and Hispanics) of days when Mexicans were not allowed in some places and were treated as second class citizens. I do know some Hispanics whose family is still ashamed of being Mexican...the older generation, that is.
They never talk about those days except to say that it was not good to be Mexican.
I gues it's like the Irish in Boston. The prejudice just faded away with education.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:47 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,403,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongHornGuy86 View Post
I have to admit, San Antonio has got to be one of the nicest, most multicultural cities I have ever lived in, minus the racial unrest of some of America's other large cities. However, I have heard from a number of San Antonio historians that there have been major issues between whites and Hispanics, which over time resolved themselves.

Can anyone validate this? Because I have not seen such issues as of late. In fact, even the northside is highly diverse.

So the question is, did San Antonio in fact have racial issues in the past? Or have race relations never been an issue?
I grew up here, graduated high school in '72 (YES, I KNOW that some of you were not even born then, THANK YOU!!!!) and I personally think that this place has ALWAYS beenvery deversified and multicultural without racial unrest. I believe, in part, this is due to the large influx and influnce of military bases around the city. Being a military brat, I grew up with different races and milticultural marriages long before they were as common as they are now, and I think that may have been something that assisted the "blending" that SA is home to now. I have NEVER seen racial issues here, and it makes for a wonderful place to call home. We adopted foreign born children as we were stationed overseas and I had no issues with bringing them back to SA when we retired from the AF knowing that SA was an excepting environment to bring our "blend" back home to.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,323,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I grew up here, graduated high school in '72 (YES, I KNOW that some of you were not even born then, THANK YOU!!!!) and I personally think that this place has ALWAYS beenvery deversified and multicultural without racial unrest. I believe, in part, this is due to the large influx and influnce of military bases around the city. Being a military brat, I grew up with different races and milticultural marriages long before they were as common as they are now, and I think that may have been something that assisted the "blending" that SA is home to now. I have NEVER seen racial issues here, and it makes for a wonderful place to call home. We adopted foreign born children as we were stationed overseas and I had no issues with bringing them back to SA when we retired from the AF knowing that SA was an excepting environment to bring our "blend" back home to.
Paka...ditto on a lot of what you said. Class of 73 here! LOL...and also a military brat. After moving away for college and marriage, I came back to SA when I divorced. The racial tension in Dallas is more evident than here. I agree with your comments on the military and multicultural acceptance. In general, being stationed and living all over the world sort of lessens the "unknown" about different cultures. I agree that I see many more mixed marriages (probably an un-pc word!).....but it's true. It doesn't seem to be a big deal here. It feels good!

Old 04-06-2007, 09:31 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,323,621 times
LHG.....to answer your direct question about "history".....yes, there has been historical conflicts, but never really ever on a violent level. I posted about this in a thread some time ago.....even during the Civil War era, Bexar county was almost split 50-50 when voting to cede from the nation. Other more Northern and Eastern counties with greater population actually won the decision for Texas to cede. Reconstruction was difficult everywhere, but the rebuilding was not as severe in Texas as it was in the deep South.

Ironically, in the 1860's, when Prince Solms was campaigning to German immigrants to move to Texas, the German population actually outnumbered the Mexican population! Many of the Mexican land owners either fought in the battle of the Alamo, or returned to Mexico. After that battle, there was a time period for land owners to return and claim their land. It took a long time for that process to take place and land titles were fought over bitterly. Some land grabbers claimed the land was abandoned and homesteaded....while others took years to prove ownership. It's a very interesting story, and you'll hear different versions.....some that sully the image of our Alamo heroes! Whether they are true or not is the big debate.

Overall....that conflict is sort of ancient history. In my opinion, poverty seems to be the great divide....not race. But that again is everywhere as well.....San Antonio not excluded.

Old 04-06-2007, 05:59 PM

60 posts, read 220,927 times
Default Mid 60's to some degree.

Today, I agree with everyone SA is a nice place to live.

But, in the mid-60's when Henry B. Gonzales ran for city council it was rough.
HBG open the gates for the rest of us.

now I'm showing off my age.

Old 04-06-2007, 06:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,552,136 times
I don't think there's another city on this earth where the "'hood" black kids get along better with the "punk rockers." Not like San Antone.

Old 04-07-2007, 02:40 AM

283 posts, read 1,833,402 times
Aside from a few isolated incidents, such as the one about 3 years ago when kids from a mainly white high school tagged a bus of a mixed high school with some racial slurs, nothing major happened.

From my observations, SA is more open to different races than sexual preference. More times than not I have seen homosexual discrimination than race discrimination.

In my opinion, SA is not the greatest place for a gay man or women to live. Hopefully with time(sooner than later) that will change, but until then, That's the way the cookie crumbles. Now back to you, Evan Baxter.

Old 04-07-2007, 03:15 AM

1,722 posts, read 2,227,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n0vemberHAWK View Post
In my opinion, SA is not the greatest place for a gay man or women to live.
My gay cousin, his gay friends and the gay friends I have would say otherwise. It's hard to be gay anywhere in this country, but don't make SA out to be some hotbed for gay bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: