Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 01:57 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times

Advertisements

I saw this slide show on kens5.com and with Mahncke Park being a neighborhood that rarely gets discussion here I thought I'd post the slide show link.

Mahncke Park Neighborhood | KENS5.com (http://www.kens5.com/perl/common/slideshow/sspop.pl?recid=16260&section=home - broken link)

Enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:42 AM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
I find it interesting that 75% of the pictures in that slideshow depict houses that are NOT typical of Mahncke Park. MP is primarily known for its streets of cute bungalows and historic 4-plexes, but many of the pics they showed were the exceptional homes (such as the Mediterranean beauty at the top of Parland), some military housing, and some new-build homes that are actually quite controversial in the neighborhood because they don't fit the style of the rest of the 'hood. I don't think anyone looking at this slideshow would get a good understanding that the predominant housing style in MP was 1920s/30s bungalows.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:10 AM

30 posts, read 82,425 times
Isn't the Lambermont and the shops on New Braunfels outside the Ft. Sam gate part of the Government Hill neighborhood?

Old 05-09-2009, 01:16 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
The photographer seems to have his borders of Mahncke Park wrong. Some of the most interesting parts of Mahncke Park are missing. The mixed areas, not just single houses. The historic multi-family houses and in between the singles. It's the mix and eclectic style of houses that make the area unique. Most buildings are typical 20/30's style with some 40s war time housing thrown in as was able to be built for the war effort.
Great pictures, but the best part is missing.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:27 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,361,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
The photographer seems to have his borders of Mahncke Park wrong. Some of the most interesting parts of Mahncke Park are missing. The mixed areas, not just single houses. The historic multi-family houses and in between the singles. It's the mix and eclectic style of houses that make the area unique. Most buildings are typical 20/30's style with some 40s war time housing thrown in as was able to be built for the war effort.
Great pictures, but the best part is missing.
I have to agree, and Shane would know! Shane do you know the streets that border the Mahncke Park neighborhood? Someone should contact Kens and let them know things are a bit amiss.

They were lovely pictures, but there were too many of the same house, and the closeup of a bush or flower could be anywhere. Not sure what their goal was here.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:17 PM

791 posts, read 3,958,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
I have to agree, and Shane would know! Shane do you know the streets that border the Mahncke Park neighborhood? Someone should contact Kens and let them know things are a bit amiss.
Attached is a pic of the Mahncke Park borders, or you can go to http://www.sanantonio.gov/planning/p...Appendix_B.pdf and download the PDF. Map is on page 2.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahncke Park neighborhood in pictures-mpna.png  

Old 07-19-2009, 03:18 PM

7 posts, read 24,432 times
We have remodeleed several craftsman bungalows in Mahncke Park and you can see some cool before and after pics on my website. We've redone 4 houses there, our latest being a 1900 arts and crafts built by Thorman and on Thorman Place. Its one of the oldest in the whole area and actually THE oldest on that street by a good 25 years. Being a Thorman and on Thorman Place, we think it was his personal house or he possibly built it for a family member. This house totally represents what Mahncke Park has to offer!

The house I am speaking about is titles "Hat Trick House on our website, House Flipping Blog

enjoy!

Tom Tarrant
Mahncke Park Real Estate Investor

Old 07-20-2009, 03:38 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,779,133 times
I'll link it since new members can't link.

House Flipping Blog

Nice houses!

Old 07-20-2009, 09:31 AM

7 posts, read 24,432 times
Thanks alot Lemonfresh. I think someone from the area should do a slideshow of all the great original bungalows over there. It would be killer to show everyone what Mahncke Park is really about. Kinda like the Kens5 slideshow but no plants and all Craftsman bungalows. We love the neighborhood. The prices are going through the roof right now but its nice to see that the old homes are being taken care of correctly for the most part.

Old 07-20-2009, 10:05 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,787,321 times
Please tell me this isn't actually a house flip... That's become synonymous with so many things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: