U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-09-2009, 05:31 AM
 
Location: Proudly San Antonio since 7-09
41 posts, read 59,987 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

Hi.
I am so glad that I found this site. I have read all the great tips and I am excited to be heading to San Antonio.
I am going to be working in zipcode 78216, which is a little further outside the loop than I would have went in Houston. My life there was spent in 77098 (Upper Kirby). Townhouse, shopping, gym - I was Rice Faculty.

Is the loop in San Antonio like the Houston loop? (I had friends who never left the loop there, and that was pretty much my lifestyle).

Any former Bayou city dwellers here? I am looking for something similar to my life in Houston where my cross streets were Kirby and North (right by Goodes BBQ/Murder Buy the Book)

How bad is traffic? It looks like I may have commute on 410 to get to work.

I am single, late 30's, I want to rent for a year before buying. My budget is flexible, up to the $1500 range for rental (it looks like I don't have to go that high here *cheer*)
Would someone suggest a neighborhood like River Oaks, Upper Kirby, West U or The Heights in Houston?

I am currently living in the northeast and I CAN NOT WAIT to get back Home to Texas!

Thank you for any help.

PS. Anyone want to buy a winter coat and snow boots CHEAP!?!?!?! God Bless Texas.

Last edited by bluerose927; 05-09-2009 at 05:33 AM.. Reason: ETA to add PS
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-09-2009, 08:07 AM
 
1,131 posts, read 813,603 times
Reputation: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose927 View Post
Hi.
I am so glad that I found this site. I have read all the great tips and I am excited to be heading to San Antonio.
I am going to be working in zipcode 78216, which is a little further outside the loop than I would have went in Houston. My life there was spent in 77098 (Upper Kirby). Townhouse, shopping, gym - I was Rice Faculty.

Is the loop in San Antonio like the Houston loop? (I had friends who never left the loop there, and that was pretty much my lifestyle).

Any former Bayou city dwellers here? I am looking for something similar to my life in Houston where my cross streets were Kirby and North (right by Goodes BBQ/Murder Buy the Book)

How bad is traffic? It looks like I may have commute on 410 to get to work.

I am single, late 30's, I want to rent for a year before buying. My budget is flexible, up to the $1500 range for rental (it looks like I don't have to go that high here *cheer*)
Would someone suggest a neighborhood like River Oaks, Upper Kirby, West U or The Heights in Houston?

I am currently living in the northeast and I CAN NOT WAIT to get back Home to Texas!

Thank you for any help.

PS. Anyone want to buy a winter coat and snow boots CHEAP!?!?!?! God Bless Texas.
Check out Northwood, Alamo Heights, Mahncke Park. All three virtually along Broadway which I think you'll really like. They're also inside the loop.

Maybe even check out the Lower Broadway and Pearl District areas near downtown.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 09:02 AM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,519 posts, read 5,545,412 times
Reputation: 2063
Im in Houston right now, fixing to go back home, in a couple of hours to SA. My brother lives in the NW of Houston, off Tidwell and 290, just outside 610, I live in SA, just outside 410, I know both towns pretty well. Where will you be working? Do you want a house, apt, how many bedrooms, how big, buy, rent,
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $84,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned
 
Location: San Antonio
14,577 posts, read 21,270,444 times
Reputation: 9757
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerose927 View Post
Is the loop in San Antonio like the Houston loop? (I had friends who never left the loop there, and that was pretty much my lifestyle).
The answer depends on which part of town you're in. There are areas on the south side where there is not much commerce in and around Loop 410. In those same areas, Loop 1604 is very rural, not even a divided highway.

Just in general, the northern half of Loop 410 is dense with commerce, while the southern half has pockets of it. There is no area of Loop 1604 where there are miles and miles of commerce, like there are along the freeways in Houston, but there are pockets of commerce in and around major interchanges everywhere in the northern half.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Proudly San Antonio since 7-09
41 posts, read 59,987 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Check out Northwood, Alamo Heights, Mahncke Park. All three virtually along Broadway which I think you'll really like. They're also inside the loop.

Maybe even check out the Lower Broadway and Pearl District areas near downtown.
Thanks - adding them to my 'go see' list. I loved SA when I visited for conferences, but that was more touristy type things.

Thanx!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 11:00 AM
 
Location: Proudly San Antonio since 7-09
41 posts, read 59,987 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Im in Houston right now, fixing to go back home, in a couple of hours to SA. My brother lives in the NW of Houston, off Tidwell and 290, just outside 610, I live in SA, just outside 410, I know both towns pretty well. Where will you be working? Do you want a house, apt, how many bedrooms, how big, buy, rent,
Hi. I am going to be working as a consultant and for North East ISD, which is out by the airport.
In Houston IAH was north of the city and really the burbs for me.

For the first year I want to rent - something in the 1000$ range looks perfect for me. One of those new young professional, cookie cutter places with new everything and a pool. I need about a year of no worries living because I am taking on some consulting plus the job. From my rent.com searches it looks like I could get a 2/2 easily for that $. That gives me a year to look for something with charm and a neighborhood I want to live in.
So for now, safe, clean, easy are my needs.

Is the neighborhood near Our Lady of the Lake a good place to look? What about St. Marys? I will be working with them a bit, but that is not the determining factor.

I miss H-Town so damn much! I used to live right at North/Kirby, but had friends out by NW on 290. I know SA and Htown are very different, but are also alike in all the good ways. (People, the sun, the cost of living).
I just plain out miss TX and can't wait to get back.

Thanks for any help!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Proudly San Antonio since 7-09
41 posts, read 59,987 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
The answer depends on which part of town you're in. There are areas on the south side where there is not much commerce in and around Loop 410. In those same areas, Loop 1604 is very rural, not even a divided highway.

Just in general, the northern half of Loop 410 is dense with commerce, while the southern half has pockets of it. There is no area of Loop 1604 where there are miles and miles of commerce, like there are along the freeways in Houston, but there are pockets of commerce in and around major interchanges everywhere in the northern half.
Thank you. I can't wait to get back to Texas. I loved San Antonio when I visited, lots of conferences, and a few friends moved from H-town.

How long does it take to drive from SA to Htown's Midtown district?
(Real Texas time not mapquest time -- heck did the work on the 610 ever get done or is that just a plain silly question?)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 PM
 
Location: NW San Antonio
2,519 posts, read 5,545,412 times
Reputation: 2063
I posted at 9 am, had breakfast at a dine in restaurant, drove the 210 miles, and am now home, so. 3 hours good time.
Some of the work, hell, they never finish the road work, same as here in SA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 11:54 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
392 posts, read 775,208 times
Reputation: 186
Being from Houston I'd say the closest thing to Upper Kirby would be the Alamo Heights area, of course this is an expensive area. You'll be close to downtown as well as have that more urban, trendy feel. However, there are no "inner loopers" in SA, that's a Houston vibe that I haven't seen in SA. Also, a drive from Alamo Heights to Houston's midtown is probably about 3 hours if you don't stop. And yes, the 610 work is done (I assume you're referring to the Uptown section)!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2009, 03:44 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,806 times
Reputation: 10
I'm from Houston and agree with the previous posters - check out Alamo Heights/Terrell Heights/Monte Vista area. The vibe isn't quite like Houston - I'd say it is more family oriented than Houston's inner-loop. But it is also a lot cheaper! You can probably get a house with yard for what you'd pay for a one bedroom condo in inner-loop Houston. There are also a lot of cool, older houses in these areas that will be a great investment - these areas continue to increase in value even as the 'burbs drop.

(If this posted twice, I apologize, I'm new and it didn't post after I registered).
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top