U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2009, 05:30 PM
Status: "just keep scrolling then?" (set 17 days ago)
 
14,614 posts, read 31,149,965 times
Reputation: 6656

Advertisements

I wonder if the huge number of diabetics in San Antonio came into play? I know more diabetics than non-diabetics, and I'm not diabetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2009, 05:42 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,694,223 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I wonder if the huge number of diabetics in San Antonio came into play? I know more diabetics than non-diabetics, and I'm not diabetic.
Although Medtronic would never admit to that, you may have a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 2,435,762 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
That's sad.
I agree.

Recent college grads in San Antonio get paid very low compared to other cities. I know the cost of living in San Antonio is low, but not that low.

Hmmm teach and make an extra 10k a year and have a lot of time off, or work full-time year around for 33k?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,309 times
Reputation: 10
Default Don't quit your current job yet!

Medtronic Diabetes Division in California does not pay more than 33,000.00 for entry level and I will guarantee you that of the 1400 jobs coming to San Antonio, at least 50% will be contract to hire, not employees of Medtronic. No perks, no advantages. That is how they work in CA and why the turn-over is so high. They work you like a slave and have the worst operating system I have seen in my 34 years of working in the medical arena. Medtronic just laid off 1600 workers last week, they have lost multiple lawsuits and they are in financial straits. I can also clue you into the fact that very few sales, customer service and billing employees are college graduates, you just have to be a robot.

I say this as part of a crew of 12 employees who all handed in their immediate resignation on the same day. We had enough of their shenanigans. Medtronic advertised for employees on a daily basis for over 3 years because the turnover was so great.

Great for San Antonio if you really want to work like that. Be prepared, you better be proficient in English, the company is world-wide, they do not care about bilingual abilities. If you like a job where you can only think inside a box, you will succeed, if you are intelligent and even attempt to think outside the box, you will hate it. You will never be a human being to them, you are just dollar signs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I know they're not the best paying...but it's something. Better than losing jobs.


Medtronic Diabetes, a unit of Minneapolis-based Medtronic Inc., will bring 1,400 sales and support jobs to San Antonio and will start hiring this summer, the San Antonio Express-News has learned.

Bexar County Judge Nelson Wolff said the number of jobs, the expansion of the city’s medical industry and possible future research and manufacturing opportunities combine to make Medtronic’s site selection the biggest economic boost for San Antonio since Toyota Motor Co. announced in 2003 it would build an assembly plant in San Antonio.

Gov. Rick Perry will announce the deal formally at 3:15 p.m. Monday at the Overlook at the Rim building in The Rim shopping center, where the company will set up operations.



Medtronic to bring 1,400 jobs to S.A. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/Medtronic_Diabetes_to_bring_1400_jobs_to_SA.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 10:31 PM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,694,223 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaDiana View Post
Medtronic Diabetes Division in California does not pay more than 33,000.00 for entry level and I will guarantee you that of the 1400 jobs coming to San Antonio, at least 50% will be contract to hire, not employees of Medtronic. No perks, no advantages. That is how they work in CA and why the turn-over is so high. They work you like a slave and have the worst operating system I have seen in my 34 years of working in the medical arena. Medtronic just laid off 1600 workers last week, they have lost multiple lawsuits and they are in financial straits. I can also clue you into the fact that very few sales, customer service and billing employees are college graduates, you just have to be a robot.

I say this as part of a crew of 12 employees who all handed in their immediate resignation on the same day. We had enough of their shenanigans. Medtronic advertised for employees on a daily basis for over 3 years because the turnover was so great.


Great for San Antonio if you really want to work like that. Be prepared, you better be proficient in English, the company is world-wide, they do not care about bilingual abilities. If you like a job where you can only think inside a box, you will succeed, if you are intelligent and even attempt to think outside the box, you will hate it. You will never be a human being to them, you are just dollar signs.
Those jobs will be quickly snapped up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2009, 10:36 PM
 
2,027 posts, read 6,353,921 times
Reputation: 630
I see no problem with the company wanting their employees to be proficient in English. I don't think anybody expected these to be high-paying jobs. IMO it is a great opportunity for grad students working while attending school (UTSA is less than a mile away). I don't see many with masters or PhDs applying here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:01 PM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,344,322 times
Reputation: 18705
Wow...I personally know Earl Bakken the cofounder of Medtronics and can tell you that if things have gone sour with that company, it has only been since his retirement.

The employees of Medtronics when he was at the helm were some of the happiest people you could meet...and they were all doing QUITE well with stock options. Earl was always of the mindset that the employees had to have a stock in the success of the company to make the company a success.

He and his wife still live in Hawaii, and I know that the feeling was "we are family" for anyone lucky enough to work for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 06:08 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
322 posts, read 688,746 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaDiana View Post
Medtronic Diabetes Division in California does not pay more than 33,000.00 for entry level
sounds like a pretty good starting salary actually. Especially when you say...

Quote:
I can also clue you into the fact that very few sales, customer service and billing employees are college graduates, you just have to be a robot.
Even better, good pay for no work

Quote:
Medtronic advertised for employees on a daily basis for over 3 years because the turnover was so great.
that does suck

Quote:
Be prepared, you better be proficient in English, the company is world-wide, they do not care about bilingual abilities.
uh oh, we better get that poster from TN to apply.. aparently the rest of us are screwed!

Last edited by deek102; 06-01-2009 at 06:09 PM.. Reason: oops, used html tags not forum tags!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2009, 10:06 PM
 
Location: South Side
3,770 posts, read 7,277,130 times
Reputation: 2852
I agree that $33K isnt that bad for starting wages if you only have high school graduate as the extent of your educational background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2009, 03:38 PM
 
3 posts, read 5,309 times
Reputation: 10
Happy, you are all looking forward to Medtronic coming to San Antonio. Hope alot of you have your updated resumes in local Employment Agencies because that is where alot of the staff will be coming from. You always start "Contract to Hire". Perhaps you will all do swimmingly. DME (Durable Medical Equipment) Sales and support is very difficult.

I wish you all well....as a backup plan, make a sign for the wall of your Cubicle "Bang Head Here". $33,000 is the starting salary for High School grads, Bachelor's degree holders and even less for 24 hour Support services. Remember, they are exiting California because they did not want to pay $33,000.00 per year for their support staff.

The people are lovely, it was the expectations that caused the great turnover. Once you sit down for the day, plan on only leaving for an occasional bathroom break and never count on a nice lunch break. Good luck with the computer systems, they could make Bill Gates cry. The training which lasts 4 weeks is like boot camp, so take some coping classes from the guys at Lackland AFB.

Best of luck, I do hope things improve, most of us did a 180 degree turnaround, we are working at Warner Bros and MGM and we are having a ball.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top