U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,958 times

Advertisements

Hi! I have read lots of posts but I finally decided to ask for some help.

Ok, I am desperate! This will be my 13th move in 10 years and I want to finally be stable somewhere. Long story short, I moved with my husband and 2 babies last December ('08) to San Antonio from Boston and don't have any family or friends here that can give us any input. We decided to rent for 6-12 months so we could settle down and look to buy a home. We signed a 6 month lease (ending in less than a month) and the owner now decided to try and sell it so we have to move (can't afford it, Alamo Heights area).

Anyway, here is our situation...
1. Husband works at Calaveras Lake (really far South) but his contract there ends in about a year. Then, who knows where he will work.
2. I work close to The Forum (1604 NE) and will be teaching once or twice a week at Texas State San Marcos.
3. We have an almost 3 yr old and a 10 month old and are VERY into education so good schools are a big deal.
4. Got pre-approved for $290K but want to stay in the $1500-$1800 monthly payment. So, thinking about property taxes and how they vary, we were looking outside SA to get a better deal for our money. We are looking at newer homes...
5. Want at least 3 bed + study or gameroom in a family friendly area and a decent backyard. This will be our first home to buy but I really don't want to feel like I need to move again in a couple of years because the house is too small for us.
6. I just went around with a realtor to see Schertz, Cibolo but, seriously, can't even remember the difference between the houses. They are sooooo similar, with tiny backyards and so close to one another!
7. We liked Stone Oak but traffic is pretty terrible and heard that property taxes and homeowner fees were high.
8. We don't have a lot of time to "just look around"... I am scheduled to take my board at the end of this month so my brain is fried and my husband works 6 days a week.

HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. Both my daughters are very allergic/asthmatic. I don't know if there is any area we should avoid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 04:50 PM

4,263 posts, read 9,692,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamianna View Post
Hi! I have read lots of posts but I finally decided to ask for some help.

Ok, I am desperate! This will be my 13th move in 10 years and I want to finally be stable somewhere. Long story short, I moved with my husband and 2 babies last December ('08) to San Antonio from Boston and don't have any family or friends here that can give us any input. We decided to rent for 6-12 months so we could settle down and look to buy a home. We signed a 6 month lease (ending in less than a month) and the owner now decided to try and sell it so we have to move (can't afford it, Alamo Heights area).

Anyway, here is our situation...
1. Husband works at Calaveras Lake (really far South) but his contract there ends in about a year. Then, who knows where he will work.
2. I work close to The Forum (1604 NE) and will be teaching once or twice a week at Texas State San Marcos.
3. We have an almost 3 yr old and a 10 month old and are VERY into education so good schools are a big deal.
4. Got pre-approved for $290K but want to stay in the $1500-$1800 monthly payment. So, thinking about property taxes and how they vary, we were looking outside SA to get a better deal for our money. We are looking at newer homes...
5. Want at least 3 bed + study or gameroom in a family friendly area and a decent backyard. This will be our first home to buy but I really don't want to feel like I need to move again in a couple of years because the house is too small for us.
6. I just went around with a realtor to see Schertz, Cibolo but, seriously, can't even remember the difference between the houses. They are sooooo similar, with tiny backyards and so close to one another!
7. We liked Stone Oak but traffic is pretty terrible and heard that property taxes and homeowner fees were high.
8. We don't have a lot of time to "just look around"... I am scheduled to take my board at the end of this month so my brain is fried and my husband works 6 days a week.

HEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps. Both my daughters are very allergic/asthmatic. I don't know if there is any area we should avoid...
Here you go....good luck!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Old 05-09-2009, 06:00 PM

15,062 posts, read 19,628,583 times
Have you looked at the northern area of Alamo Heights,
the area close to 410
there might be a few houses in your price range.

I don't know about the schools in this area, but I like the look of the houses.
1830 Edgehill Dr, San Antonio TX 78209 Home for Sale - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/San_Antonio/1830-edgehill-dr:555cca74f99ffb6fd6cc1acbaa66474;_ylt=Ap003giYow YHNZjK4NF5uXFn47Qs - broken link)
110 Verdant St, San Antonio TX 78209 Home for Sale - Yahoo! Real Estate (http://realestate.yahoo.com/Texas/San_Antonio/110-verdant-st:f8d2c572ce9a816e7e9be4646b36a637;_ylt=Ag9WBg2EV eMrBnJ7sR61NP9n47Qs - broken link)

Old 05-09-2009, 06:13 PM

384 posts, read 1,416,313 times
Quote:
Half-way in between, New Braunfels would be my suggestion. It's a little farther out than the other "suburbs," but isn't really just a suburb, but its own little city with its own culture and attractions.

My brother loves teaching at Texas State. It's the third university he's worked for, and by far the best working conditions.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,620 times
Google Wall Homes. The lots are 1/2 acre. Currently the schools are East Central, hopefully will change by the time your child is kinder age. Your husband can take 1604 to 87 and get to work easily. You will be able to take 1604 to I-35 for Texas State

Old 07-20-2009, 10:37 AM

305 posts, read 1,158,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhines1029 View Post
Google Wall Homes. The lots are 1/2 acre. Currently the schools are East Central, hopefully will change by the time your child is kinder age. Your husband can take 1604 to 87 and get to work easily. You will be able to take 1604 to I-35 for Texas State

Just for the record, East Central Schools are not bad schools. They are certaintly not as "trendy" as northside or northeast isd, but the schools tend to have all the same programs (G/T, AP, variety of electives,etc..), minus the magnet high schools that ns and ne have, which unless you are already planning to stay somewhere through your children being in hs and them needing to go to a special magnet school (health careers, arts, etc...) I can't imagine why you would just discount the area with East Central Schools.

With that being said, I prefer to be ne, and may even consider for Schertz for my up and coming move.

The difficulty with you wanting a new house is exactly what you have found with the small lots. That is what most builders are doing and have been doing for about 10 years now. They cram in more houses so they can make more profit. It's a difficult trade-off:

1. Do you buy an older home with a nice size yard that has good bones and you can update it OR buy a nice and shiny new home with a tiny lot.

2. Choose to be in a more rural area and buy a larger lot, and pay the price for the land ( I have sold acre lots for 50K) OR you want to be in the city or close in a neighborhood feel, save money on not so large lot.

My personally choice is that I like older homes because I need a decent size yard (at least quarter acre). If you look at neighborhoods with 10-15 year old homes you might find what you are looking for that may just need some cosmetic updating. Usually though houses in this age range are not that different than new homes being built today (large walk-in closets, open floor plan,etc..).

New Braunfels is nice too, by the way. Depending on what part of the city this may not be too bad a commute for your DH (@40 minutes to the Calaveras lake from NB).

Just so you know my reference point is that I live in ECISD (about 2 miles from the northside of the lake), and my children go to John Glenn Elementary which is the most sought after ECISD elementary, but also the school that has the an all rural population of ECISD.

Old 09-14-2009, 01:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,471 times
Arrow Hi, Help me too--moving to SCHERTZ and have neighborhood ?s

Hello everyone~~~
I'm new too and need some suggestions/explanations on possible neighborhoods to move to in the Schertz/Cibolo area. I don't want to buy/live in the newly constructed subdivisions. I'm more in the low-key, quiet vein and want something similar in a neighborhood. Google has been no help, and I want to meet with my realtor soon and want to be prepared with ideas.

Please describe and name specific neighborhoods that you~~presumably residents~~think would appeal to me. It has to be a better neighborhood. I don't want to feel unsafe or feel like my property value is a major question in the next few years.

Thanks so much! Sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place; I couldn't figure out where the new threads for Schertz go.

Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 AM

4,263 posts, read 9,692,196 times
Here you go..good luck.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio