U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:16 PM

50 posts, read 81,367 times

Advertisements

Truthfully, the study I read about the 50% I can not find and it might be different. It included students that dropped out of school. So if he dropped out the 3rd year, it counted. Most studies now only count the 4th year or who just didn't pass.

It really does not matter. I just figured it was one of the reasons why I dislike SA and it contributes to the attitude here.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:25 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,472,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
Truthfully, the study I read about the 50% I can not find and it might be different.
Oh, how convenient.

Quote:
It included students that dropped out of school. So if he dropped out the 3rd year, it counted. Most studies now only count the 4th year or who just didn't pass.
What? The criteria for how they determine graduation rates has not changed, at least not from the time you read whatever newspaper article to the time I posted online links in this thread.

Interestingly, how does one not find a online newspaper article that was printed in paper and posted online within the last five weeks? What newspaper? I'm sure I could find it.

Quote:
It really does not matter. I just figured it was one of the reasons why I dislike SA and it contributes to the attitude here.
It really does matter. I just figured a hate thread like this that gets the mods backing would at least be diligent in its duty to not lie or make crap up. I guess I was naive.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 7,273,650 times
With threads like these and every thread turning into threads like these, this board has become increasingly painful.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,472,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perticusrex View Post
With threads like these and every thread turning into threads like these, this board has become increasingly painful.
Hey! It's not against TOS!

Though it should be.

You're right though. These type of threads/posts are just dragging CD down, especially the SA forum.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM

50 posts, read 81,367 times
Not really sure why everyone gets so upset.
This was just my opinion and I wanted to chat with people who felt the same way.

In no way did anyone have to respond to me.

Sounds like some insecurity is going on here.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:04 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,520,712 times
Here are some literacy facts...
Literacy Facts and Statistics

Our city really does need to work on this. I love SA but can't argue with the problems we do have.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:09 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,354,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonfresh View Post
Since we're posting only negative stuff (really?) I'll post this.

I hate and I meant hate when people don't know wtf they're talking about.

USA Today had a story analyzing the graduation rates for all the major cities in the US as well as their suburban (metro) graduation rates.

'Crisis' graduation gap found between cities, suburbs - USATODAY.com
He's right on the teen pregnancy rate though. Texas is the highest in the nation, with San Antonio the highest city. These data are a couple of years old, but SAMHD recently put out more recent numbers which kept up the trend - better than it used to be, but still well over the national average.

http://www.sanantonio.gov/health/pdf...actSheet06.pdf

There are a lot of reasons why teen pregnancy is such a problem here: poverty, cultural acceptance (though not necessarily an "Oh that's great attitude", rather it's not a shame), abstinence only education, lack of role models who are not teen parents....and many other things. Project Worth, a division within SAMHD is working on a number of tactics to address the problem. If you look at the SAMHD data, though, you'll see there are certain "at risk" zip codes which correspond with poverty rates.

From an outsider's perspective, it does seem like people in Texas in general get married younger and have kids younger than elsewhere, even those college educated (which usually puts off marriage and kids for awhile). I was amazed at how many college students (from places like Texas A&M) were already married. Everywhere else I've lived they've been the anomaly. That's not bad, and not really related to the teen pregnancy issue, I think it has more to do with the abstinence/bible belt stuff

Last edited by Chaka; 05-12-2009 at 06:33 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 07:25 PM

490 posts, read 968,775 times
It takes a truly compassionate and generous soul to spend 5 weeks in agony over the city's dropout and teenage pregnancy rates. I will need to think long and hard about how I have managed to live here for many years without those stats ruining my experience.

Old 05-12-2009, 07:51 PM

13 posts, read 39,856 times
I agree with DRZY, Garvey. You may have to adjust your perspective a bit also. It depends on what is a priority for you in a city and what is not.
As a young adult, I thought San Antonio was the most boring city- EVER so I spent a lot of time in Austin with friends. It was very frustrating too.
As a working adult, married with children now, my perspective on San Antonio is totally different. It is now the place where we could purchase an affordable home, find good jobs in a reasonable time frame (depending on your field/education) and it has wonderful schools for for my children starting from elementary all the way to several universities for them to choose from where they can get a quality education that won't break the bank (we hope).
When you look at the crime, education issues (schools closing, teachers loosing jobs), lack of growth and joblessness in other cities , San Antonio ain't all that bad. I wouldn't dream of living anywhere else.
Garvey- its all about perspective- what is important to you. Maybe your perspective might change, who knows. If it does it won't happen over night- that I do know for sure. I also know that it is entirely up to you bud.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 PM

927 posts, read 1,206,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
And to target the individual as being at fault for complaining, is the lamest response on the planet. SA is ripe for criticism, certainly. It's obviously subjective, but there are more shortcomings than one would expect, being that SA is the 7th largest city in the US.
Pointing the finger at the bored person is a perfectly valid line of thinking. I've lived in Houston and Northern Virginia (Washington, DC suburbs), and I can tell you that are no fewer enjoyable and entertaining things to do here than in those places. You just have to want to enjoy yourself. This would of course indicate that if you're terribly bored in SA or any other city it is you that is the boring part of the equation not the city around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio