U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:09 AM
 
1,836 posts, read 3,330,035 times
Reputation: 1735

Advertisements

I'll try to stay on topic here...

What you're saying and what actually happens in reality are two very separate things: Sometimes people don't have the choice and simply NEED to survive somewhere. Ever think of that? San Antonio is full of good folks who work hard, have kids and still barely make ends-meet. I'm sure they'd like to change their existence, but it's not in the cards (at least not immediately).

I don't know what income bracket you're living in, but it sounds as if you've never been poor enough to not have a pot to **** in. Happiness is a state of mind. Not a local.

Personally, after living in San Fransisco, New York, Chicago and in South America, planting some roots in SA was a welcome change for me. The few things I don't like about this town are things that plague EVERY large city... Traffic, over-development of suburb, fuzzy politics, etc. The pluses definitely outweigh the minuses.

I came to realize that if I had spent the first couple of years in San Antonio really getting to know the city, rather than finding reasons to hate it, I'd have been a much happier person.

This isn't Chicago
This isn't Manhattan
This (thankfully) isn't Miami

It's San Antonio, Texas: Like it, Love it or Leave it




BN

 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:10 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
8,400 posts, read 20,103,487 times
Reputation: 4435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
I have to agree about this city. I have somehow managed twenty years, but am soon headed out - FINALLY. I have lived in New Orleans, LA, Miami, Nashville, and a few other places. This is the only place I've really disliked. Economics kept me here (and a close elderly friend), but now I have the chance the leave, and I am RUNNING. SA has managed a reputation of being so beautiful, by tourists visiting the River Walk. My visitors, who see the city as a whole, are universally shocked. Weather is good, cost of living affordable - but beyond that, I can't say much. And frankly, downtown is no great shakes, either. It's tourists, and a street level life that isn't vibrant for the locals.
See, right there is proof that San Antonio is getting better every day!

I find it ironic that these are the very people that complain about the negativity of this city!

And your subsequent comment about it not being the person can't be any further from the truth! But since you are convinced that is the case, I wish you all the best in wherever it is you are going...just as long as you go!
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:17 AM
 
50 posts, read 81,371 times
Reputation: 20
In my opinion every city, culture etc. gives off its own vibe. I did the Chitown vibe. I like the brooklyn vibe and the Manhattan vibe. I "for lack of a better term" understand the Philly vibe.

MY point being, is that yea, not everyone is the same and I bet San Antonio has some great places and people and culture and everything else...but the vibe here is all wrong to me. It feels wrong evertime I walk out the door or have a conversation with somebody. Go shopping or get on the road.

The vibe might be differant for others and they dig it, but for me, I just don't.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:23 AM
 
15,062 posts, read 19,621,616 times
Reputation: 12219
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
MY point being, is that yea, not everyone is the same and I bet San Antonio has some great places and people and culture and everything else...but the vibe here is all wrong to me. It feels wrong evertime I walk out the door or have a conversation with somebody. Go shopping or get on the road.
Nothing wrong with that, as long as you clearly state your reasons for feeling that way.
I live in Missouri for more than a decade, and I'm very familiar with all the state on the SE (starting in Kansas) of the United States.

Anybody like me (1st language spanish, dark skinned and have kids)
In all that area, more than 1/4 of US, I'd recommend them only 3 cities: San Antonio, Austin and Houston.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:33 AM
 
50 posts, read 81,371 times
Reputation: 20
My first language was spanish, but lost most of it when I moved to Chicago and then my father married an Italian woman.

But being a proud Hispanic, I should be what every parents wants their child to be. I am succesful, kind, in great shape. I have two B.A. in History and Poly Sci.

I look at San Antonio and I see parents happy there 25 year old has had three kids, two husbands and working at H.E.B or Walmart. The fact that this is Okay, is another reason to dislike this city.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
 
1,276 posts, read 3,433,607 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
I look at San Antonio and I see parents happy there 25 year old has had three kids, two husbands and working at H.E.B or Walmart. The fact that this is Okay, is another reason to dislike this city.
It takes all kinds to make the world go round. My parents always said "diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks". Maybe that is not OKAY for you because you have different standards, priorities, whatever...but it is OKAY for them because their priorities are not your priorities. I never look down on someone who has been divorced multiple times, or is working at HEB or Walmart or McDonald's or wherever. After all, if they weren't working at those places, we, generally speaking, wouldn't have those places to shop or frequent.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:45 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
490 posts, read 968,837 times
Reputation: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
I look at San Antonio and I see parents happy there 25 year old has had three kids, two husbands and working at H.E.B or Walmart. The fact that this is Okay, is another reason to dislike this city.

This is a sweeping generalization that couldn't possibly be "true" in San Antonio or "true" in any meaningful sense in any other metropolitan area in the country. Not that what you say isn't true, but it exists everywhere.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:47 AM
 
50 posts, read 81,371 times
Reputation: 20
Sure, but is most of the world where I have lived, you see teenagers working those jobs. Not kids my age and I think this might be where I find a problem with it. Most of my friends working jobs they get paid a lot of money for and pick and choose where they go and It should be that way in this country for people my age. there is enough out there to gain this.
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 AM
 
1,276 posts, read 3,433,607 times
Reputation: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarveySanAntonio View Post
Sure, but is most of the world where I have lived, you see teenagers working those jobs. Not kids my age and I think this might be where I find a problem with it. Most of my friends working jobs they get paid a lot of money for and pick and choose where they go and It should be that way in this country for people my age. there is enough out there to gain this.
Then PLEASE go to the local schools and talk about this. Talk about how hard you worked for your degrees, how hard you had to study, and where it's taken you (all over the world, great jobs, etc). If you affect just one kid, wouldn't it be worth it?
 
Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 AM
 
4,268 posts, read 8,355,101 times
Reputation: 1785
I thought of a few more things I don't like about this city:

*that people in my district didn't see past a name/family "legacy" to not re-elect a totally incompetent councilperson (at least that's my only explanation....)
*that we didn't have better options in the mayoral race
*that city workers are incredibly underpaid while city management is paid very well
*that the city doesn't have the guts to get rid of some of the higher ranking people who really stink
*that I don't have a grocery store I can walk to

I am sure I can come up with more if I try hard enough....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top