U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 AM
 
Location: Naples, FL
123 posts, read 256,792 times
Reputation: 56

Advertisements

We went and looked around at the Stone Oak area yesterday after reading so many positive things here. We love it! But...it's out of our price range. We tried to look a little further out of the area at less expensive houses, but then ended up being those types of subdivisions where they plowed all of the trees under to build the homes and it's rather bleak. Is there anything around the Stone Oak area $150k or less, WITH trees and hills? Or in another area that is just as desirable? Luckily, we live north of Austin so can make frequent trips down to check out other areas. Our current lease is up in 6 months and we qualify as first time home buyers so would love to make a purchase!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-13-2009, 08:51 AM
 
Location: SoCal-So Proud!
4,263 posts, read 9,692,833 times
Reputation: 1541
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruzs View Post
We went and looked around at the Stone Oak area yesterday after reading so many positive things here. We love it! But...it's out of our price range. We tried to look a little further out of the area at less expensive houses, but then ended up being those types of subdivisions where they plowed all of the trees under to build the homes and it's rather bleak. Is there anything around the Stone Oak area $150k or less, WITH trees and hills? Or in another area that is just as desirable? Luckily, we live north of Austin so can make frequent trips down to check out other areas. Our current lease is up in 6 months and we qualify as first time home buyers so would love to make a purchase!
Under 150K? or less? With trees and hills. Are you looking to rehab a place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Naples, FL
123 posts, read 256,792 times
Reputation: 56
Okay...it's a stretch but maybe just trees then??? Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Stone Oak
320 posts, read 933,477 times
Reputation: 159
As you probably noticed, the level of clearing varies by builder, but most importantly by price range. In Stone Oak, KB stripped too much from Mesa Verde and Saddle Mountain, but left some nice mature trees at the more expensive Quarry at Iron Mountain.

I think the only builder in your price range in this area is Centex and even then only The Ridge of Silverado Hills which is way in the back would fall in your range. The Bulverde Village subdivisions across Hwy 281 from Stone Oak also seem to be in your range, however I don't know what level of clearing they did there.
Centex Homes - Builders of New Homes for Sale in Texas, Florida, California, and more.


For the best trees, you'll have to look at the older Stone Oak subdivisions, but I think you'll have a hard time finding something at your price point. Check out Summit and Summit II along Hardy Oak Blvd. for what looks to me like less expensive homes, however I don't know what they sell for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Naples, FL
123 posts, read 256,792 times
Reputation: 56
Thanks so much StanSelle for your suggestions...we will dig in and do some research!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
 
1,740 posts, read 5,185,489 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanStelle View Post
As you probably noticed, the level of clearing varies by builder, but most importantly by price range. In Stone Oak, KB stripped too much from Mesa Verde and Saddle Mountain, but left some nice mature trees at the more expensive Quarry at Iron Mountain.

I think the only builder in your price range in this area is Centex and even then only The Ridge of Silverado Hills which is way in the back would fall in your range. The Bulverde Village subdivisions across Hwy 281 from Stone Oak also seem to be in your range, however I don't know what level of clearing they did there.
Centex Homes - Builders of New Homes for Sale in Texas, Florida, California, and more.


For the best trees, you'll have to look at the older Stone Oak subdivisions, but I think you'll have a hard time finding something at your price point. Check out Summit and Summit II along Hardy Oak Blvd. for what looks to me like less expensive homes, however I don't know what they sell for.
Pulte scrapped the hill clean at 281/Stone Oak when they put that subdivision in...but even that is well over $150K. If you are looking for new - you will have a hard time getting much more than two little trees stuck in your front yard no matter who builds your house and still be close to San Antonio.

Unless you are willing to buy a distressed older home - you will find it very hard to purchase a home in the Stone Oak area for less than or equal to $150K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
 
Location: Naples, FL
123 posts, read 256,792 times
Reputation: 56
Thanks for the info. No...we are not looking for new. And would be willing to look further out of the Stone Oak area but was looking for suggestions for things close that would be "in the neighborhood." We don't know San Antonio well and so were looking for areas such as Stone Oak that have that same appeal but not quite so pricey (convienient to downtown, shopping, etc). Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM
 
1,740 posts, read 5,185,489 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruzs View Post
Thanks for the info. No...we are not looking for new. And would be willing to look further out of the Stone Oak area but was looking for suggestions for things close that would be "in the neighborhood." We don't know San Antonio well and so were looking for areas such as Stone Oak that have that same appeal but not quite so pricey (convienient to downtown, shopping, etc). Thanks again!
Keep in mind...if you are too far back in Stone Oak or along Blanco Road (the Western boundary) you will face serious traffic issues. I live in Stone Oak but am on the southern edge off Sonterra so I avoid the traffic issues often associated with Stone Oak. It is a great area and there are nice shopping areas in and around - but some of the older and cheaper communities are on the northwestern edge which might be out of your ideal commute. Before you buy come and drive from any home you are interested during rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 12:54 PM
 
1,791 posts, read 2,435,154 times
Reputation: 1421
Might find something along Evans road, between Bulverde and Green Mt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
 
1,740 posts, read 5,185,489 times
Reputation: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Might find something along Evans road, between Bulverde and Green Mt.
Not a bad suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top