U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM

674 posts, read 1,617,268 times

Advertisements

Some people are allergic to cockroaches. Apparently it can aggravate asthma as well.
I had a skin test for allergies and (un)fortunately , cockroaches are 1 of like 3 things I am NOT allergic to. Great.

Thanks for bringing this up. I'd like to take a little preventitive action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 PM

4,796 posts, read 13,714,581 times
Well....we may not be cockroaches....but at least we like to be clean. Borax is meant for cleaning....not ingesting. Just like any other household product, it needs to be used as intended.

Here are side effects of ingesting, breathing or exposure to Borax. Obviously infants and pets would be effected a tad more seriously.

Quote:
Simple exposure can cause respiratory and skin irritation. Ingestion may cause gastrointestinal distress including nausea, persistent vomiting, abdominal pain, and diarrhea. Effects on the vascular system and brain include headaches and lethargy, but are less frequent. "In severe poisonings, a beefy red skin rash affecting palms, soles, buttocks and ******* has been described. With severe poisoning, erythematous and exfoliative rash, unconsciousness, respiratory depression, and renal failure." [7]
Actually pest control companies used products that have borax ingredients for killing ants and roaches. Terro is another product that anyone can buy at the grocery store (sorry for ants...off topic!) that is basically borax and corn syrup.

It's just NOT a good idea to sprinkle it on the floor or around food surfaces. Pets and constantly grooming themselves......and toddlers and children...well...we all know what they do.

Better safe than sorry!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,194,708 times
We are in your boat = clean home and no overgrown yard; yada yada.

Hubby noticed a crack outside on the foundation where our master shower is - said it has gotten bigger over the past year.

WELL, have an inspection and turns out we have a cracked or broken shower pan....our master bath was the ONLY (swear none in the kitchen, office etc)place roaches were turning out. Go figure.

So I would give that a check out....the roaches were attracted to the water leaking....great opportunity for a new shower and bathroom updates any day now!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
I understand it is due to the drought we are experiencing...it doesn't always have to do with your level of cleanliness.

Apparently the cockroaches are looking for water ...
There it is! Just keep their water bowl filled up outside the back door!

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
Cats are the best Pest control you can buy. Once they find one, they'll patrol your house for days looking for another.
Our little fur balls love to catch gekkos and other treasures and drop them on the bed in the middle of the night. See peeps?....I did GOOD!

Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 PM

790 posts, read 3,616,686 times
As sapphire said, I posted in another thread about Earthwise Organic Pest Control (San Antonio's Organic Pest Control). Roaches in older homes require some serious treatment that IMHO only professionals can provide. However, one thing I also HIGHLY recommend is diatomaceous earth (DE). This is a nontoxic natural product - basically it's a powder made of ground up fossils of diatoms (tiny little organisms with tiny little exoskeletons that are like tiny little razorblades to the roaches, fleas and other bugs that crawl over the dust).

Nothing grosses me out in this world like roaches, and this stuff WORKS. It comes as a white powder that you simply sprinkle around the house, near entryways, around the exterior (in dry areas only - doesn't work if it's wet). Bugs crawl on the fossilized ground up diatom exoskeletons and it cuts up their waxy shell and they dehydrate and die. It's no great shakes if your dog accidentally eats some, it will just be slightly irritating... nothing a drink of water won't cure. Likewise, when you dust it around, wear gloves because it can stick to your skin and get itchy. A big ol' box that will last you a year costs $20 at Gardenville or Rainbow Gardens or similar places.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 AM

1,121 posts, read 3,188,708 times
There is nothing wrong with borax if you use it properly. I don't have cockroaches where I live, but I do have fleas and ants. I put my borax into a plastic mustard container and spay a thin line along the floor moldings, between the carpet and wall, closets and under kitchen cabinets. No kids or pets will access it. When you vacuum and mop, just re-apply the borax as needed. I currently have two indoor cats who have been living with this for many years. One is 23 and one is 16. Both are healthy and flea free. It beats using Advantix which causts $48 for 4 months and can cause a variety of side affects including kidney failure. especially in older pets.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:48 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,945,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg2ntst View Post
1. You cannot eliminate cockroaches, try as you might. You can only semi-control them.
2. Try to become one with the cockroach. They're relatively harmless. They don't bite, even when they crawl across your face while you're sleeping. We go way back with them. We've lived with them since we were little lemur-like creatures staring at T. Rex out of a hole in the ground. They're really like family, when you think about it. Maybe the black sheep of the family, but still...can you really kick 'em to the curb and feel good about it?
3. Borax is not acutely toxic. You'd have to eat a boxful to have a serious reaction. You're not a cockroach after all.
Joe is that you?

Old 05-14-2009, 08:52 AM

1,086 posts, read 2,945,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wCat View Post
Our little fur balls love to catch gekkos and other treasures and drop them on the bed in the middle of the night. See peeps?....I did GOOD!
Same here, we often find the Gecko's broken tail flopping around on the floor, and then low and behold one of the cats is batting around the lizard on the floor.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukiko11 View Post
There is nothing wrong with borax if you use it properly. I don't have cockroaches where I live, but I do have fleas and ants. I put my borax into a plastic mustard container and spay a thin line along the floor moldings, between the carpet and wall, closets and under kitchen cabinets. No kids or pets will access it. When you vacuum and mop, just re-apply the borax as needed. I currently have two indoor cats who have been living with this for many years. One is 23 and one is 16. Both are healthy and flea free. It beats using Advantix which causts $48 for 4 months and can cause a variety of side affects including kidney failure. especially in older pets.
yuki...it seems like we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I do have a friend who's pet did die from ingesting Borax. I think it's fair for the readers to research this one on their own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio