Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 09:19 AM

4,796 posts, read 15,367,677 times

Advertisements

I agree re: the Comal in New Braunfels. It's spring fed so it's always nice and cool and doesn't vary too much!

Lots of places to go tubing. Sorry you picked the wrong spot this year. Hope they gave you back your money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 09:38 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,339 times
I will ALWAYS choose Comal over Guadalupe for tubing!

Eleanor Rigby is right...go early enough, and repeat the trip.

Or....if you are smart, you know where to rent tubes, and enter the water where there are no other tubers upstream.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:07 AM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
I want to try that tubing outfitter up in Landa Park - it apparently doubles the length of the trip down the Comal, which, as wCat says, is always cool and fresh and clean because it's spring water. Good for your hair and skin too!

We normally use Corner Tubes, which is right across from the park in the same area as the other tube outfitters. I doubt it really matters which outfitter you actually use, though. I believe it's Rockin R who has the fancier tubes and the separate exit.

I actually dislike the tubes with bottoms because I like to use it like an inner tube and float down the river that way between the chutes.

Old 05-15-2009, 11:47 AM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanor Rigby View Post
I want to try that tubing outfitter up in Landa Park - it apparently doubles the length of the trip down the Comal, which, as wCat says, is always cool and fresh and clean because it's spring water. Good for your hair and skin too!

We normally use Corner Tubes, which is right across from the park in the same area as the other tube outfitters. I doubt it really matters which outfitter you actually use, though. I believe it's Rockin R who has the fancier tubes and the separate exit.

I actually dislike the tubes with bottoms because I like to use it like an inner tube and float down the river that way between the chutes.
I think I know both of the ones you're talking about and have used both. And honestly, I'm starting to think (after losing count of how many times I've tubed) it does to a degree matter who you go with...if you want a really good experience. Knowing where they start and end and the rapids, etc is what makes a good trip. Had the OP known those things then they may have had a better trip. But, to be fair, they didn't know where to go since I see they're from FL.

The one at Landa was good...super crowded though...even on a regular Saturday afternoon on a Saturday (not a holiday). The tubes were even pretty expensive for ones without the bottoms. Getting out where they let out there was kind of a pain in the butt because everyone gets out right there.

Rockin' R is indeed the one with the separate exit. They have two locations. One smaller spot where you actually end up getting out (which is great). They drive you down to bigger location where you start. And vice versa with the larger location (drive you back down to the drop off spot when you get out). I ended up getting some pretty snazzy sunglasses last weekend too. Rockin R', though is on the Guadalupe...so if everyone is complaining about the river being low don't go...even though I say it was okay

Old 05-15-2009, 04:15 PM

616 posts, read 2,083,858 times
Actually, Rockin R has a small branch on the Comal too. It's right before the City of New Braunfels public exit where all the other outfitters have you get out. Most of the other branches are across the street from the swimming hole and the big chute, and if you don't want to wait for the short bus ride you can just walk across the park to the swimming hole; but you have to get bussed back to the beginning. Rockin R is the opposite - they bus you to the start, but you end up back at home base at the end.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 PM

1,691 posts, read 3,851,249 times
a few websites that might help others or on the next trips for tubing... knowing the areas you want to tube in safety and comfort are best. I am sorry anyone had a bad time of it.

Tube Texas - River Information and Trip Planning

!!!Texas Tubes on the Comal River in New Braunfels Texas for tubing and rafting on the Guadalupe River and Comal River!!!

Texas Tubing, Rafting, Canoeing on the Guadalupe, Comal, Brazos and Other Texas Rivers

TPWD: Texas River Guide: River Flow Gages

http://www.adventureclubsa.com/clubp...outh-Texas.gif

Old 05-19-2009, 01:15 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
I will ALWAYS choose Comal over Guadalupe for tubing!

Eleanor Rigby is right...go early enough, and repeat the trip.

Or....if you are smart, you know where to rent tubes, and enter the water where there are no other tubers upstream.
Most places are charging for repeat trips now. Went this past Friday, and they wanted 5 bucks per person for us to go again.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:29 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
The flow above Canyon Lake took a big jump today. It went from about 25 cfs to around 80 cfs. Maybe the level won't be too bad for the weekend. It will still be low for good tubing but maybe there will be enough water to at least kick back in a lawn chair and relax.

Old 05-26-2009, 11:48 AM

431 posts, read 1,204,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXEX06 View Post
Most places are charging for repeat trips now. Went this past Friday, and they wanted 5 bucks per person for us to go again.
FYI, I went to Landa Park yesterday, and tubing is now $15 (not including refundable deposit of $10) but you can have unlimited round trips with no additional charge. This is new for them. The employee said it was possible now that they had their own shuttle.

Their new system of doing things is also improved because once you get off the shuttle (and are done for the day), all you need to do is walk to the counter and give them your name. No need to return the tube to them.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:34 PM

363 posts, read 748,482 times
Both of these are on the Comal, which we prefer being so close to SA. Corner Tubes, I believe on Liberty st., does $10 for one run or $15 for an all day pass. It's probably the shortest float since you drop in right before the chute, but you can go as many times as you want. Or you can buy your own River Rat tube from wal mart for like $22.

I recommend Texas tubes if you're just going once, it's a longer float.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio