U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 12:43 PM

7 posts, read 34,044 times
Default Privacy fence,how high in frount yard?

Anyone know how tall a privacy fence in the frount yard can be? Gotten different answers from the city,anwhere 3' to 4' tall. Neighbors installed a 41/2' privacy fence(wood) in thier frount yard. From 3 houses down you can't get a clear view of oncoming traffic. I am 3 houses from an intersection and about 5 houses down from a major street. A 4' wood fence would still obstruct traffic. The city will be investigating soon,but I would like to know,3' or 4' and can it obstruct you from seeing oncoming traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 01:19 PM

2,519 posts, read 5,167,508 times
Six foot without written approval and permit from City.

Quote:
Sec. 6-2. Fences.
(a) Height. No fence over six (6) feet high shall be built in the city unless all owners of property abutting the parcel where the fence is to be constructed have been contacted by the development services department, and have expressed no opposition to the proposed fence, or permission has been granted by ordinance adopted by the city council. Provided, that no fence in excess of twelve (12) feet in height shall be allowed under any conditions. This section shall not apply to any fence specifically required or allowed to be higher by some other section of the code.
as far as blocking,

Quote:
Sec. 6-1. Construction on city property.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to erect, place upon, or maintain, without the consent of the city council by ordinance, any building, structure, fence or other obstruction, or part of same, upon any real estate belonging to or controlled by the city.

(b) No use of public real estate of the city shall be made for private purposes, except by contract with or permission given by ordinance of the city council.

(c) Any person violating the terms of this section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and upon conviction shall be fined as provided in section 1-5 of this Code. Each day such building, structure, fence or other obstruction, or part thereof, shall be maintained or permitted to remain, or such use is made, after ten (10) days' notice to remove or desist from such use, by the police department, shall constitute a separate offense.

(Ord. No. 18784, 1--3, 2-12-53; Code 1959, 10-9)
it would have to be a public nuisance. Contact trouble shooters.

Old 05-15-2009, 01:43 PM

556 posts, read 991,690 times
We were told by the city code compliance office, that you could NOT put privacy fencing in your front yard at all - you can only privacy fence your backyard, up to the forward most wall of your home.

You can call 311 and have your neighbors do the same. Code Compliance will come out. Good luck on this.......

Old 05-15-2009, 02:07 PM

666 posts, read 825,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rottnboys View Post
We were told by the city code compliance office, that you could NOT put privacy fencing in your front yard at all - you can only privacy fence your backyard, up to the forward most wall of your home.
A permit is required to construct a front yard fence, and in some areas (some historic and conservation districts, newer subdivisions with HOA's), a front yard fence is not allowed at all.

As Rottnboys said, a call to 311 is your best course of action.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM

311 is the ones who told me code complaince doesn't handle it,city planning handles it. City planning are the ones who said,3' then "they think 4'.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:14 PM

permit? what permit?

Old 05-15-2009, 02:15 PM

13,553 posts, read 20,666,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnasa View Post
311 is the ones who told me code complaince doesn't handle it,city planning handles it. City planning are the ones who said,3' then "they think 4'.
Ohhhh, that is so frustrating when you can't get a straight answer. I feel for ya. Hopefully the city will get on with it pretty quickly for you.

Old 05-15-2009, 02:23 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,975,306 times
The Planning and Development Services Department Planning & Development Services Department issues all permits and inspects the result to make sure it falls within guidelines before it's approved (I have some issues with their inspection process and how much $ changes hands, but that's the official route).

Unfortunately the people answering the phone often don't have a clue and as you found you can get different answers. You'll need to have it in writing - either ask them for the documentation stating the requirements, or go to the office to get it.

This is the one city office that has been the most infuriating to deal with......

Old 05-15-2009, 02:58 PM

3,706 posts, read 4,732,956 times
Most of the houses in my neighborhood have iron or chain link front yard fences. One of my neighbor put privacy slats on his fence and code compliance told him to remove them becaue they were considered a safety violation, so I cant imagine the city would actually allow a privacy fence.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:47 PM

4,263 posts, read 6,705,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnasa View Post
Anyone know how tall a privacy fence in the frount yard can be? Gotten different answers from the city,anwhere 3' to 4' tall. Neighbors installed a 41/2' privacy fence(wood) in thier frount yard. From 3 houses down you can't get a clear view of oncoming traffic. I am 3 houses from an intersection and about 5 houses down from a major street. A 4' wood fence would still obstruct traffic. The city will be investigating soon,but I would like to know,3' or 4' and can it obstruct you from seeing oncoming traffic?
20' high...it should resemble the US border fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio