Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 05:05 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,827,375 times

Advertisements

Fluoride...yeah, no arguement from me on that trash.And for the record....I've 34 years experience in the water industry, having designed equipment for everything from homes to NASA projects. My promises are my guarantees - it works as promised, or it's removed. Period. So before I suggest something, I KNOW what it's going to do, and not do.As for Bexar Met....I owned property in a subdivision that Bexar Met moved in to. When I found that out, I sold it for that reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 PM

95 posts, read 206,352 times
SA has the worst water out of all the major TX cities. I never knew the importance of a water softener until I moved here. With one its great and great tasting but without its terrible. I do appreciate it come from an aquifer and not some dirty lake though.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:01 PM

I dunno about "worst"....there's LOTS of areas with LOTS worse water - try West Texas! A lot is going to depend on just what you're used to. I will tell ya one little hint, though - cold water will taste better than ambient/room temperature. The water IS hard - but the flip side is that it's very low in particulate matter - which for most folks won't matter, but for industrial applications can be huge.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 PM

95 posts, read 206,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I dunno about "worst"....there's LOTS of areas with LOTS worse water - try West Texas! A lot is going to depend on just what you're used to. I will tell ya one little hint, though - cold water will taste better than ambient/room temperature. The water IS hard - but the flip side is that it's very low in particulate matter - which for most folks won't matter, but for industrial applications can be huge.

West Texas is not at all includes in Major Cities...

Old 05-16-2010, 10:24 PM

Very well then...try Houston water...

Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Redneck,

Is it true , that San Antonio has some of the best, purest drinking water in
the country? At least I remember it used to be said that it was practically residue free of contaminants years ago due to the filtering effects of limestone..
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Fluoride...yeah, no arguement from me on that trash.And for the record....I've 34 years experience in the water industry, having designed equipment for everything from homes to NASA projects. My promises are my guarantees - it works as promised, or it's removed. Period. So before I suggest something, I KNOW what it's going to do, and not do.As for Bexar Met....I owned property in a subdivision that Bexar Met moved in to. When I found that out, I sold it for that reason.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:24 PM

From a particulate standpoint, that's correct. It's hard - but that's dissolved into the water. I have customers that use some very fine filtration - 0.2 micron. On SA water, some of them will last years (literally), while the same filter in Houston might go 6 months, 4-7 months in Austin, and 2-3 months in D/FW.
Most folks would never notice this - your eye basically stops seeing particles at around 20 microns - but I notice it a lot with various filters and RO membranes, etc.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:41 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,585,752 times
Hey TexasRedneck, how about those built in water filters in refridgerators? They say to change them every 6 months. Those instructions are used on all of the units sold everywhere. Based on SA's particulate matter can they go longer here?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:20 PM

Probably so - or do what I do and bypass 'em.

They're like what - 50-70 bucks a pop? You can buy a 1-lb GAC cartridge w/a 5 micron filter in it for 10-15 bucks, and a housing for 30 bucks or so! It's a HUGE cash "up-sale" for 'em - and I won't buy a fridge that I can't bypass the filter on (usually, it's just remove the cartridge & it bypasses...).

Old 05-22-2010, 01:46 PM

92 posts, read 166,508 times
Move to Universal City www.universalcitytexas.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=619
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio