U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 07:08 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,206,179 times
Default Super Bowl to San Antonio

I was on the NOLA site about the next super bowl sites New Orleans, Arizona, and Miami. I was thinking why bring super sunday to the dome because regardless of what team is playing it will be a sell out and draw up to 200,000 visitors to SA, Austin and money to the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 07:11 AM

1,131 posts, read 770,426 times
Because only cities with NFL teams can host the SB.[/END THREAD]

Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM

4,084 posts, read 6,258,719 times
And even if that weren't the case, the dome would have to be seriously renovated to host the event. It needs more luxury boxes and about a million other things.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM

2,261 posts, read 3,276,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
And even if that weren't the case, the dome would have to be seriously renovated to host the event. It needs more luxury boxes and about a million other things.
Yep. I was going to say that they would decide the dome wouldn't work and they (meaning the city of SA, meaning US) would have to pay beaucoup bux to either fix it up or build something new altogether.

I am NOT a fan of football and really wish people would give up trying to get an NFL team here. Any NFL team that comes here will NOT be happy with the dome, and will demand a new structure to even look our way. "Build it and they will come" is not something we should be willing to risk millions of dollars on.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:00 AM

4,084 posts, read 6,258,719 times
The main reason that we won't get a team is because this is, and will always be, Cowboy country. A team moving in would have to fight for 20 years to get a fan base equal to that of the Pokes. Houston was able to do it because they had the Oilers for so long, but they're still struggling to keep pace.

Any owner out there would see that it wouldn't be a great business decision. It's not like they'd be competing with the Jaguars, Chargers, Seahawks, etc.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:42 AM

840 posts, read 754,436 times
I hate the Cowboys. And I would wholeheartedly support a team placed here immediately. And I would relish a chance for that team to beat the hated Cowboys. And as for the poster who isn't a football fan, remember that there are many, many others here who love football and would greatly support an effort to bring an NFL team to San Antonio. Actually I see an NFL team coming here as inevitable when you consider the size and growth rates of the community. And if we have to build another stadium because the Alamodome is not up to snuff then let's fund and build it already. Whatever it takes to get a team ultimately.

Old 05-19-2009, 09:48 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,206,179 times
Good Post guys! I guess the reason that I asked was because in 93 when tha Boys won it they played in Pasadena Rose Bowl and I didnt know it had to be in a NFL City.
And yes SA is never getting an NFL team as long as the boys gotta say in itthe only way is if the chargers or saints move here. Well I will go to the final four and Alamo bowl instead

Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM

840 posts, read 754,436 times
I remember when Charlotte was trying to get its own NFL team. People there said the same thing that they do here. Charlotte couldn't possibly support a team. It was too small, too poor and of course there were too many Redskin fans around. The Redskins were the team of the South for decades in the old days of the NFL. But then communities began to grow their own identities around the South. Next thing you know there were teams all over the Southland including teams in Atlanta, Miami, Dallas and New Orleans. And of course eventually in Charlotte and Nashville.

I see the same thing happening in San Antonio. As she begins to grow and spread her wings a separate identity is taking hold and people are realizing that the town doesn't have to play second fiddle to Dallas and that we can have our own team. A team in San Antonio would not affect the Cowboys success one iota. And to suggest that we cannot have our own team because of the Dallas Cowboys is small-townish and very narrow minded.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:50 AM

1,087 posts, read 1,949,541 times
I have 2 good reasons.

1. The cities chosen have to be fan friendly, with many things to do. Detroit for example was a bad place to host a Superbowl, and that was the reason given. The fan experience was not that great.

2. Transportation, traffic is horrific out here and I think the Alamo dome would have a difficult time accomidating all the fans with the traffic.

I do however think SA would be a great place to have an NFL team with the loyalty you guys have with your sports teams.

Perhaps I am wrong, just my perspective.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:20 PM

392 posts, read 756,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Houston was able to do it because they had the Oilers for so long, but they're still struggling to keep pace.
Huh? The Texans have a huge following in Houston, SE TX, and Western LA, not so much here for obvious (if not sad) reasons. Also, they are #6 on the list of most valuable NFL franchises. They are most definitely not struggling. Plus, look for the Texans to reach to postseason for the first time this coming season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio