Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:36 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Errrrr.....Camper, the OP is from Houston.

But I share your sentiments, Grunn is welcome in our city and I hope he/she does so soon!

And, it's funny how we always get asked where we are from as well. I guess because I normally wear shorts all the time, and look a little touristy. But for some reason a few people can't understand why us "locals" enjoy our city just as much as the tourists. Those seem to be the same people who can't figure out how we are all having so much fun and doing so many great things, as to them SA is boring with nothing to do. Like I've said a hundred times before, I don't think it is the city that is at fault!
And throw in that they can't believe anyone actually lives downtown. Apparently there are only hotels there....

All that said, I do think the city caters more to tourists than to locals in a lot of their ammenities, probably out of the same assumption that locals don't use downtown. I think we need to use Santa Barbara as a model - another very touristed city, but one whose downtown recognizes the draw to locals and tourists alike. So they do things like offer discounted (or 90 mins free) parking as well as unique shopping for locals that you can't find in the suburbs - making it both easy and desirable for locals to go downtown. It's changing, but very slowly. There's still a heavy focus on tourism (note the increased number of hotel rooms in the Houston St developments - not a bad thing, but I'd also like to see more services such as unique shops). And by "unique" I don't mean just independent mom and pops who can barely survive, just not the Rosses/Marshalls/Targets. It's got to be the shops you don't find on every other highway exit. KWIM?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 04:08 PM

28 posts, read 94,272 times
Wink I love this city!

My husband and I have moved here permently from Tennessee. He came down here to work, as we had none, in Feb. I came down to visit after 1 month and I loved it! The next month I flew down we looked the whole time I was here for a place to live. We made the move a week and a half ago and we love it here. (I don't love the tap water so much) that is the only thing I am having to adjust to. When I meet new people here they always tell me how much they love the city to! I don't know why any one would not love it here. This city has it all! We love the Riverwalk and we are not tourists anymore.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:12 PM

912 posts, read 2,547,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripshin View Post
Excuse me, negative posts aren't allowed?? What kind of venue would that be? I'm moving away after 20 years, Thank God. By the way, people don't really walk much here - they drive. If you're talking about the River Walk, those are tourists.
I wasn't meaning the riverwalk, more the whole downtown area.

Perhaps not as much as in european cities but certainly a lot more than in Houston.

San Antonio reminded me a lot of small cities in Spain I have known and liked.

Can I ask where you might be moving to that is better?

Old 05-19-2009, 04:19 PM

2,027 posts, read 7,003,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
Just wanted to say how fantastically lucky you people living in San Antonio are.

I visited for the first time this weekend and found the city to be a lively, vibrant place that was 'real'. Refreshing for someone living in Houston which is decidedly 'unreal'.

It was nice to see people walking around rather than driving and a city that isn't laid out in a grid system.

For those of you living there that have forgotten take a look around and thank your lucky stars for being in such a great place.
Im glad you enjoyed it, but I hate to say that much of the city isn't like that. Most of SA is just like Houston... non-pedestrian friendly sprawl. We like our cars and have obesity problems. If you explore SA (other than the tourist-friendly downtown Riverwalk) you'll find we are very similar to Houston.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,515,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgannaway89 View Post
Im glad you enjoyed it, but I hate to say that much of the city isn't like that. Most of SA is just like Houston... non-pedestrian friendly sprawl. We like our cars and have obesity problems. If you explore SA (other than the tourist-friendly downtown Riverwalk) you'll find we are very similar to Houston.

heh, I walk all the time for lunch in the Medical Center, but it's not common. Even today - a spectacularly gorgeous day, not hot AT ALL, Someone commented that he saw me walking and thought "Oh that poor woman, walking in the HOT weather." People often stop to offer rides....I explain that I WANT to walk. At least they're nice to offer rides

There's a great Bill Bryson piece on this that he wrote soon after returning to the US (New Hampshire) after living in England for 18 yrs. It's hysterical and oh so accurate.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:53 PM

624 posts, read 900,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
That always makes me laugh. "Where are you from?" "Well, I'm FROM central Illinois but I've lived here for 12 years!"
I know off topic where in central IL, I lived in Springfield and I also walk downtown SA on occasion.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:58 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,592,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyH View Post
I know off topic where in central IL, I lived in Springfield and I also walk downtown SA on occasion.
Billy, I grew up in Raymond, IL about 30 miles south of Springfield. Most of my family is still in the area. My mom and brother live in Riverton.

I also walk downtown SA on occasion.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:05 PM

284 posts, read 755,877 times
Interesting - not like the Spain that I remember.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:08 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,769,022 times
Probably not like the Paris (TX) you remember as well.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:12 PM

2,437 posts, read 6,990,928 times
Uhmm.. the only reason why I would need to leave San Antonio Texas.. is because all of my exes live in Texas..

hmmm kinda reminds me of a song. ... just dont remember which one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio