Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:59 AM

5 posts, read 8,513 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I know social butterfly is a pretty lame term, but I had to catch someone's attention . I am moving to San Antonio with my fiancé in May as he was relocated for a job. My employer is letting me keep my job and work remotely from SA. I live in Tampa currently where my weekend consists of outdoor activities at the beach with a gaggle of friends in the area. I do not know a soul in SA and I am nervous that working from home will impede me from meeting friends. Are there any places/social groups/intramural sports clubs etc. anyone could suggest? I am 25, active, and extremely loud and outgoing (I do like to toss back a few here and there). My fiancé plays an exorbitant amount of beach volleyball, is there anywhere locally that we could find 2 on 2 competitive beach volleyball as well?

Any help is appreciated, I am pretty bummed about leaving Tampa so I really need something to look forward to (besides all the glorious Mexican food ) when I get to Texas!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 07:02 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,705,582 times
Yes, you just need to learn 2 words to get attention around here:

"Orraaallleeeeeeeeee!!!"

and

"AAAAAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh" *clap clap clap clap*

Seems to be a San Antonio thing.

Old 04-30-2009, 07:03 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,019,120 times
Try here:
The Park Online | WELCOME TO THE PARK

If you're as social as you say, I'm sure you won't have a problem meeting people....ORALE!!!

Old 04-30-2009, 08:04 AM

472 posts, read 1,792,051 times
Nightlife

San Antonio Nightlife | Local Bars

Old 04-30-2009, 08:31 AM

431 posts, read 1,203,757 times
MegWood: What specific part of town are you moving to? There is a locally owned placed (with two locations) called Fatso's. They have beach volleyball there...and lots of teams you could join. Not sure what the exact schedule is, but here is the website: Great Food The "North" location is much more active in the volleyball stuff.

The North location is also fairly close to The Park that sapphire linked to above.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:49 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,385 times
I just moved from Fl. As far as nightlife, next to nothing. We often find ourselves very bored, our excitement is going out to eat and food shopping.

It's a great place for a family, or to raise a family. When you come here you'll notice everyone has 3-5 kids each. So either they don't have much to do in San Antonio or no TV in their house..lol

Old 04-30-2009, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I just moved from Fl. As far as nightlife, next to nothing. We often find ourselves very bored, our excitement is going out to eat and food shopping.

It's a great place for a family, or to raise a family. When you come here you'll notice everyone has 3-5 kids each. So either they don't have much to do in San Antonio or no TV in their house..lol
Curious...Where do you live and what places have you tried?

Old 04-30-2009, 10:09 AM

1,086 posts, read 3,359,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
Curious...Where do you live and what places have you tried?
I live off of 281 and Evans in the Stone Oak area. We've been to numerous restaraunts, malls, down to Riverwalk which we felt was a huge tourist trap IMHO. I want to go tubing down the Guadalupe River shortly.

As far as nightlife, I forgot what club it was - But it was filled with nothing but gang bangers and from what I've heard on the news there is always gun fire, or stabbings when the clubs close.

Flying Saucer is a cool place to hang if you like beer, we go every so often.

I used to live close to Miami where we had beaches, great nightlife, a plethora of sports teams, and concerts always going on. So my idea of things to do may be totally different than what people in San Antonio are used to doing on the weekends. I was told that if I want anything close to the nightlife in Miami I have to go to Austin.

We're not big partiers, in our early 30's but we do like to go out every so often and blow off a little steam.

Old 04-30-2009, 10:25 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,979,962 times
Right, like there is no crime in the Miami area!

I've said it a million times before, but here it is one more time...if you can't find fun things to do in San Antonio, maybe it isn't the city's fault!

I am also a Florida transplant, having grown up in Jacksonville. After being stationed here in San Antonio courtesy of the USAF, we decided it would be a great place to stay once I retired. As such, we made arrangements to come back here when the time came, and four years on we are still very happy with that decision.

Personally, we don't find the Riverwalk to be nearly as "touristy" as most of Florida. Sure, it may cater to visitors, but locals can enjoy themselves there without embarrassment. The same applies to SeaWorld, Six Flags and the numerous amusement parks in the area. Plus there is the wonderful Hill Country, where I am most drawn. I could spend the rest of my life just driving through it, it never gets old and my only complaint is that so much of it is privately owned as I would love to Jeep through much of the ranchland you see out there.

You can't beat the towns of Bandera, Greune, Fredericksburg, Seguin and others that are within a two-hour drive of SA for a daily activity. And as noted, there are tons of outdoor activities such as tubing or hiking in the numerous state parks that are closeby.

Even within SA, there are loads of parks that offer many things to do. We've hiked numerous ones and we are always grateful that the city had the forethought to save these areas for the public's use.

Now, I will admit I am not much of a "nightlifer" anymore; but when we do go out for the evening we are never at a loss to find places to go. There are several restaurants around town that offer entertainment, jazz or blues are my preference. Plus there are a fair share of cigar clubs which I enjoy, nothing like smoking a good stogie and jawing with Kinky Friedman on occasion (he makes regular visits to SA cigar clubs).

I may far from a "social butterfly," but I like to enjoy life and we have found that with a little effort, San Antonio is one of the best places in the nation to do so. Yes, it is more of a family-friendly place, but since we are a family that suits us just fine. Back in my younger, more "singler" days I would head to Austin from San Angelo (when I was stationed there), and had a great time. But I've kinda outgrown those all-nighters, instead I'd rather find a more sophisticated way to spend the evening that doesn't end up with my having a throbbing headache the next day!

Cheers! M2

Old 04-30-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eger View Post
I live off of 281 and Evans in the Stone Oak area. We've been to numerous restaraunts, malls, down to Riverwalk which we felt was a huge tourist trap IMHO. I want to go tubing down the Guadalupe River shortly.

As far as nightlife, I forgot what club it was - But it was filled with nothing but gang bangers and from what I've heard on the news there is always gun fire, or stabbings when the clubs close.

Flying Saucer is a cool place to hang if you like beer, we go every so often.

I used to live close to Miami where we had beaches, great nightlife, a plethora of sports teams, and concerts always going on. So my idea of things to do may be totally different than what people in San Antonio are used to doing on the weekends. I was told that if I want anything close to the nightlife in Miami I have to go to Austin.

We're not big partiers, in our early 30's but we do like to go out every so often and blow off a little steam.
Okay, this all makes a bit more sense. I have never been to Miami (it is on my short list though), and I have seen pics from friend's trips. Sadly...San Antonio absolutely can not compete with Miami Nightlife.

1. Most clubs in San Antonio are (IMO!) ghetto. In your area...the closest thing to a decent dance environment would be Dolce. Nice place, but not always a bunch of activity on the dance floor. The Pointe has good crowds sometimes, and things get crowded near the DJ booth and people can get fun and crazy there. Dance area at Swig North as well.

2. GO TUBING!! I personally enjoy the Comal more...of course, they have their alcohol rules (certain sized coolers, etc) but I like that it is short, and that most tube rental places allow for a repeat trip. The Guadalupe run can take 4-8 hours depending on the level of the river. And with our recent drought...I'm going to guess it might be closer to the 8hr range at the moment.

3. Austin nightlife is leaps and bounds better than San Antonio. But..I am 31, and don't need it every single weekend anymore! haha...so a trip to Austin once every month or so is easy and fills the need to have some fun. Heading there tomorrow night, actually (Shpongle, in case anyone has heard of them...opening night of US Tour).

All this is coming from a dedicated fan and lifelong resident of San Antonio. I truly hope we can get some good dance clubs going...without the ghetto, but also without the unneeded "DRESS TO IMPRESS" bs that is a paradox in my mind at some of the places I have been to around here...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio